You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

She’s cracking good. Very Matt Smithian in some ways, though she’s not quite as pushy as a character. Very charismatic though. Loved the custard creams. The Tardis design looks a bit plasticky and cheap though. The central crystal thing isn’t visually appealing. Smith/Capaldi’s is still easily the best of the recent bunch. The theme tune is a VAST improvement over that screechy, unpleasant mess we’ve had to endure for the past three years.

I’m a little worried that other than the Doctor changing genders, not a lot will change narratively. They shouldn’t just do another season of the Doctor and companions constantly stumbling into problems. We’ve had eleven seasons of that. I’d like a change of direction from the lonely old man and his friends in the magic box routine. Time to bring back Gallifrey and the Time Lords, I think. Give the character a little more direction - a different place in the universe.

LOVE the new intro sequence. Stenza mentioned again, getting the feeling the Doctor will be dealing with them in the finale, that along with the "timeless child" comment has me thinking there's going to be more of an ongoing plot in series 11 than Chibnall led us to believe this series would have. I like the crystalline design of the new Tardis, but I'd like to see them turn up the lights a bit, it's too dark, and a bit too much like Tennant/Eccleston's with all the yellow for my tastes, having seen the leaked images of it prior to this there are a lot of cool design elements that are hard to notice the way it's being lit. Liked this episode overall, probably could've done with a few minutes shaved off though for pacing. Interested to see how they tackle next weeks story, they're covering fairly sensitive subject matter and they could easily offend a lot of viewers in the States if they aren't careful.

Last edited:
I know we're only two episodes into the series, but with what Chris Chibnall has achieved so far I am hugely impressed. Usually episode twos see a drop of quality from episode one, but with The Ghost Monument that was a very minute drop at best.

I'd still say I preferred The Woman Who Fell To Earth overall, but only by a very slight edge. There really isn't much to choose between them. Both are in my opinion among some of Doctor Who's best episodes, with an amazing cast and engaging story that has you hooked from start to finish - and I loved that TARDIS reveal. It was perfectly done, the way you are made to wonder if the Doctor really had got her hopes up too much and Ilin was lying about the TARDIS being the 'Ghost Monument'. I really felt for the Doctor, and Jodie Whittaker pitched it perfectly.

Jodie Whittaker is just outstanding as the Doctor. She is an absolute sensation, and I think she will prove to be a massive hit with the casual viewers just as David Tennant was in the RTD era.

What about it was a "reinvention"?
How about everything?

The cinematography, the directing, new Doctor, new companions, no TARDIS until the end of episode two - and then with a completely different interior and exterior, new tone/feel...

Some of that is admittedly stuff we knew about beforehand, but to question how The Woman Who Fell To Earth is a reinvention of Doctor Who is silly.

She’s cracking good. Very Matt Smithian in some ways, though she’s not quite as pushy as a character. Very charismatic though. Loved the custard creams. The Tardis design looks a bit plasticky and cheap though. The central crystal thing isn’t visually appealing. Smith/Capaldi’s is still easily the best of the recent bunch. The theme tune is a VAST improvement over that screechy, unpleasant mess we’ve had to endure for the past three years.

I’m a little worried that other than the Doctor changing genders, not a lot will change narratively. They shouldn’t just do another season of the Doctor and companions constantly stumbling into problems. We’ve had eleven seasons of that. I’d like a change of direction from the lonely old man and his friends in the magic box routine. Time to bring back Gallifrey and the Time Lords, I think. Give the character a little more direction - a different place in the universe.

Considering how many people are probably jumping into Doctor Who for the first time( or drop offs from 9,10,11/Day of the Doctor), I don't think it's a good idea to jump into continuity heavy lifting on 13's first season.

The consequences of Heaven Sent/bad place Bent would have to be referenced.

I think a River Song or Captain Jack one-off would probably be the first step towards continuity the show would make with 13.

LOVE the new intro sequence. Stenza mentioned again, getting the feeling the Doctor will be dealing with them in the finale, that along with the "timeless child" comment has me thinking there's going to be more of an ongoing plot in series 11 than Chibnall led us to believe this series would have. I like the crystalline design of the new Tardis, but I'd like to see them turn up the lights a bit, it's too dark, and a bit too much like Tennant/Eccleston's with all the yellow for my tastes, having seen the leaked images of it prior to this there are a lot of cool design elements that are hard to notice the way it's being lit. Liked this episode overall, probably could've done with a few minutes shaved off though for pacing. Interested to see how they tackle next weeks story, they're covering fairly sensitive subject matter and they could easily offend a lot of viewers in the States if they aren't careful.

11's first Tardis was my fave. It was so wide-open it made the Tardis look infinite with rooms to go to. This looks way more cramped and like the usual style of a singular control room where everything happens.

This was a good ep but I still stand by my early thoughts that Chibnall is going to need to have a very memorable villain/story to cement 13 in her first season.

I think Chibnall said that he wants new viewers for Doctor Who and I think he will stay away from Gallifrey/Time Lords mythology for a while. I think Chibnall wants to introduce new concepts like The Timeless Child and new monsters like the Stenza. Besides the Doctor and her/his companions stumbling into problems is what the show has been all about since 1963.

Considering how many people are probably jumping into Doctor Who for the first time( or drop offs from 9,10,11/Day of the Doctor), I don't think it's a good idea to jump into continuity heavy lifting on 13's first season.

The consequences of Heaven Sent/bad place Bent would have to be referenced.

I think a River Song or Captain Jack one-off would probably be the first step towards continuity the show would make with 13.

I'd prefer they just stay away from the Time Lords in general, Gallifrey and the Time Lords have been brought up constantly in the revived show and appeared several times, and I've honestly never really liked the Time Lords in their appearances in either New or Classic Who, the Master and their appearance in War Games excepted, the more they show the Time Lords, the less interesting they become. Captain Jack however is someone that I really want to show up, with Chibnall at the helm I'd be really disappointed not to see Jack, it's been so long since he last appeared. And as much as I'd like to see River interact with 13 I also feel like it's a door best left closed, Husbands of River Song was a great sendoff for River and I think bringing her back would risk undermining that episode.

Last edited:
This episode doesn't seem very interesting so far. I'm about 20 minutes into it.

Love the new opening. Feels very retro. I think I will like the new Tardis in a different lighting, though I miss the last version.

Good episode.

So I have had the new intro and TARDIS videos in my subscription box for like 8 hours and it is driving me nuts that the show doesn't start here for another 10 mins. Must not watch them, much hold out. :funny:

I noticed that this episode came in under 50 mins apparently. I thought all the new season was going to have hour long episodes to make up for there only being 10 episodes?

Can't say I like the opening with the psychedelic images. It feels like too much of a throwback to the 70s or 80s. I preferred the high adventure of the Season 5 opening with the Tardis travelling though a vortex.

So I have had the new intro and TARDIS videos in my subscription box for like 8 hours and it is driving me nuts that the show doesn't start here for another 10 mins. Must not watch them, much hold out. :funny:

I noticed that this episode came in under 50 mins apparently. I thought all the new season was going to have hour long episodes to make up for there only being 10 episodes?

It was listed as 70 minutes on BBC America on the east coast.

Thoughts:

-LOVE the new opening credits. Probably my favorite yet.
-Someone seems to have given Murray Gold the directive: no more major key, whimsical music and I love it.
-Jodi is... fine. I don't think she's settled in yet. 11 and 12 came storming out the gate so hard. They were such specific takes on the character. I hate to say it, but so far 13 is playing as 11-lite for me. I'm open and ready to see her settle in though; I've been pro-Jodi from the second they announced her.
-The companions haven't grabbed me yet either. The stand-alone characters from the latest episode made a better impression.

To be fair, I need to rewatch the first episode. I watched it on BBC America, and holy shirt are the commercial breaks relentless.

Oh well. They can't all be series 5!

Last edited:
Thoughts:

-LOVE the new opening credits. Probably my favorite yet.
-Someone seems to have given Murray Gold the directive: no more major key, whimsical music and I love it.
-Jodi is... fine. I don't think she's settled in yet. 11 and 12 came storming out the gate so hard. They were such specific takes on the character. I hate to say, but so far 13 is playing as 11-lite for me. I'm open and ready to see her settle in though; I've been pro-Jodi from the second they announced her.
-The companions haven't grabbed me yet either. The stand-alone characters from the latest episode made a better impression.

To be fair, I need to rewatch the first episode. I watched it on BBC America, and holy **** are the commercial breaks relentless.

Oh well. They can't all be series 5!
Murray Gold stepped down as the show's composer earlier this year. The new score is brought to you by Segun Akinola.

Yeah, the commercial breaks are a bit painful to get through. Every time one comes up, I just go ugh.

Last edited:
I do like Graham calling the Doctor "Doc". I don't recall companions doing that.

I'd prefer they just stay away from the Time Lords in general, Gallifrey and the Time Lords have been brought up constantly in the revived show and appeared several times, and I've honestly never really liked the Time Lords in their appearances in either New or Classic Who, the Master and their appearance in War Games excepted, the more they show the Time Lords, the less interesting they become. .

I agree in so far as I don't want rehashing of the same old dynamics.

But at this point, the state of the Time Lords needs to be addressed. The Daleks are back in full force but the society of Time Lords that was willing to destroy time itself to stop them is just doing what now?

Are the Time Lord's back?

If they are, are they back to doing the role of protecting the timelines? Are they going to be held accountable by other societies for what they did during the war?

If they're going to stay hidden, does everyone on Gallifrey feel that's for the best? A NuGallifrey?

I think new story options could be brought forward for Doctor Who but it would take a skilled writer and a strong vision.

So did I. :hehe:

But after listening to the first episode, I thought it probably had to be someone else, and sure enough.
Personally I miss Gold so far, I'm a sucker for his more in your face style and easy to remember themes rather than the more atmospheric subtle background music that Akinola seems to favor. Akinola's done well enough so far, but he has yet to actually impress me, to be fair though Gold took a few episodes before he got really good so I hope it's just down to Akinola's relative lack of experience and that he gets more memorable as the show progresses, so far the only original theme he's done that I've found at all memorable is the one that seems to be Thirteen's theme.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"