You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

"The Ghost Monument"
I liked how the Doctor defeated the Remnants by simply snapping her finger. I'm very curious who or what "The Timeless Child" is. Since the Stenza were name dropped again I'm assuming there will be an on going story arc where they pop up again. They sort of have a classic villain vibe while also being modern. The reappearance of the TARDIS was actually kind of touching.

Jodie needs to come into her own... i feel like she and the team are playing it safe, it's almost like these are missing episodes from the Tennant era which were never filmed for obvious reasons.
She def feels like a Dr, just not her Dr.

Plus i am not too keen on it being a history lesson.

Well I completely disagree. Jodie Whittaker is already faultless in her portrayal.

I noticed that too. She feels more a mix of Tennant and Smith than she does her own thing just yet. But I have no doubt she'll grow into it, just like every other Doctor has become a unique person.

Yeah she seems a mish mash and her companions are boring.

As far as companions go, I like Graham. It's nice to see a role reversal, of a companion who's wiser than the Doctor in many ways. Also he has a clear motivation too, keeping his grandson safe and trying to connect with him. The motivations of previous companions has been a bit problematic ("I'm a thin pretty girl who's life kinda sucks so I'm going to follow this guy around because I'm special when I'm with him"). Ryan, not sure where this character is headed and how much his disability plays into it. Yaz is kind of ... there right now. Kind of waiting for her role as a quasimilitary/investigative person to play into things; presumably she's the only one of them trained in combat.

From the episode descriptions they've been releasing it sounds like Yaz will be getting some focus on her in episodes 4 and 6.

Well I completely disagree. Jodie Whittaker is already faultless in her portrayal.

Care to elaborate? Few people have already felt that the script, direction and performance is safe... and that she will, like the rest, find her feet... nobody said her portrayal was at fault.

Jodie needs to come into her own... i feel like she and the team are playing it safe, it's almost like these are missing episodes from the Tennant era which were never filmed for obvious reasons.
That's exactly how I feel about her Doctor and I do hope that this Doctor develops a distinctive personality of her own. I like that this Doctor is kind, optimistic and enthusiastic but they feel like generic traits that the Doctor should have. At the moment she feels like a supporting character.

But there is potential in the thirteenth Doctor and it will probably take Jodie Whittaker some time to settle into the role.

It's way too soon to tell, but do you think this doctor will be successful? My thoughts - The doctor has been male for decades and this is engrained on people and the whole show geared around that.. from grumpy old men, young hipsters or father figures. The stories - sci fi, aliens and monsters naturally appeals to boys more than girls. With a female Doctor i feel, they need to either cater to boys or girls, not both as i don't think the writers know what that means - hence the comment that this series will be more educational than sci fi - an obvious attempt to please both.

What i would have done, get Matt Smith come back for a series of adventures (either a christmas special or event series during Capaldi's stint) we were never told.. the one where his companion, was indeed himself or herself... have jodie and matt share the reigns and have great chemistry where they enjoy picking each others brains, out smarting each other and just having a blast... then, you have it established that a future incarnation is indeed female, no big deal at all... when Capaldi left, then you kick off with Jodie.

But here's the thing, if it caters to boys, as it always has done, you won't gain the extra girl viewers they are worried about and vice versa so instead just focus on Jodie being a strong character, with a good supporting cast and don't always have damsels in distress etc as then, the lesson taught is that women are equal to men and just as cool (not that it needed, the majority of us all know this).

changing the gender shouldn't be changing the formula.

It's way too soon to tell, but do you think this doctor will be successful?

Yes I hope so and think it will be. Audience figures so far indicate this from a 'commercial' point of view and as for content / portrayal I believe so too. The reaction thus far has been constructive, positive, and in way of bringing new fans to the show too.

I think with Capaldi, it lost its way... this could be good reboot (which essentially every doctor is)

Plus i am not too keen on it being a history lesson.

Well considering that both scripts were originally written for a male-Doctor, it just goes to show how long those scripts have been sitting in the drawer. It's only now that Chibnall is in a position of power that they've been realised.

Well considering that both scripts were originally written for a male-Doctor, it just goes to show how long those scripts have been sitting in the drawer. It's only now that Chibnall is in a position of power that they've been realised.
Not sure i follow.... i said it felt like she was reading older scripts...

I find her inconsistent at the moment but I'm sure she'll settle into her mould in time.

I can see where you are coming from with the 'inconsistency' but I think that's more to do with the scenario's they've found themselves in, they've been in peril for the majority without many calm 'down time' moments so she's been on 'internal doubt / problem solve' full-on so there's been no chance for her to show a 'complete' performance yet.

Care to elaborate? Few people have already felt that the script, direction and performance is safe... and that she will, like the rest, find her feet... nobody said her portrayal was at fault.
She captures everything about the Doctor. The authority, the wit, the odd moments of eccentricity every Doctor has, the intelligence, the compassion...Jodie Whittaker is just perfect for the role.

It's way too soon to tell, but do you think this doctor will be successful? My thoughts - The doctor has been male for decades and this is engrained on people and the whole show geared around that.. from grumpy old men, young hipsters or father figures. The stories - sci fi, aliens and monsters naturally appeals to boys more than girls. With a female Doctor i feel, they need to either cater to boys or girls, not both as i don't think the writers know what that means - hence the comment that this series will be more educational than sci fi - an obvious attempt to please both.

I have no idea on whether this Doctor will be successful or not but I do hope it works as it could mean that more talented actresses will be up for the role and hopefully there could be an actress that is willing to experiment more with the role than playing it safe (this isn't a dig at Whittaker as I feel that she's a fine actress but her Doctor feels a bit generic at the moment).

The reaction to Jodie as The Doctor has been positive overall and from comments that I've read it seems like new viewers are okay with a female Doctor. I think Chibnall wants to cater this series to the casual viewers and I feel that he believes that having a female lead is good for young boys as they can see that a woman can be capable as a guy.

I have no idea on whether this Doctor will be successful or not but I do hope it works as it could mean that more talented actresses will be up for the role and hopefully there could be an actress that is willing to experiment more with the role than playing it safe (this isn't a dig at Whittaker as I feel that she's a fine actress but her Doctor feels a bit generic at the moment).

The reaction to Jodie as The Doctor has been positive overall and from comments that I've read it seems like new viewers are okay with a female Doctor. I think Chibnall wants to cater this series to the casual viewers and I feel that he believes that having a female lead is good for young boys as they can see that a woman can be capable as a guy.

I would hope young boys have more than just Dr Who to see the true nature of reality - if that's the case then every character could or should be gender flipped. couldn't the Doctor himself advocate for women and children learn that way - anyways it's neither here or there - let's jsut hope she succeeds - then we're all winners.

Have they stopped the theme music at the end and started playing other contemporary songs over the credits?

It seems as if they taking a few cues from Timeless with the educational tone.

If I had to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the "educational" Doctor Who episodes. Personally I watch Doctor Who for the escapism. The pop song near the end of Rosa was corny for my taste and it kinda ruined the mood for me.

I thought Vinette Robinson was great as Rosa Parks. The guy portraying the bus driver was more menacing and intimidating than the actual bad guy of this episode. Rosa was more cohesive than last week's episode. It's nice to see Yaz given more material and I appreciate that Ryan had difficulties with dealing with the racism in the 50's, as a black man I would have reacted the same way. Also I enjoyed Jodie Whittaker's performance more in this episode than her first two episodes. I like that she toned down the goofy aspects of her Doctor for this episode.

The guy playing Krasko was terrible and I feel that this villain wasn't given much depth. Krasko is a one dimensional throwaway villain. I know the main villain is systematic racism and I appreciate the message in this episode. But Krasko felt like he was a generic cartoon villain and he was defeated rather easily.

As a black man I have mixed feelings on Rosa and at times it felt forced when it tried to be heartfelt. One hand I appreciate that this episodes is bringing systematic racism to light. But personally for me I wasn't entertained by "Rosa" and I probably won't revisit this episode that much. If you like episodes that are "educational" then that's fine but I much prefer the sci-fi elements in Doctor Who than the historical elements. At times this episode felt like a history lesson which was probably the intention as I can see this episode being shown in school.

Overall it's a... okay episode but if you're a fan of historical stories than you will probably love Rosa.

This is what i feared they would do with a female lead.... "we want to appeal to women, girls etc, let's leave the sci fi for a bit and bring in emotion and a history lesson to appeal to their maternal side" as a very vague way to put it.

I say just continue as they did, a kick ass, cool doctor that just happens to be female and be judged on its own merits.

This is what i feared they would do with a female lead.... "we want to appeal to women, girls etc, let's leave the sci fi for a bit and bring in emotion and a history lesson to appeal to their maternal side" as a very vague way to put it.

I say just continue as they did, a kick ass, cool doctor that just happens to be female and be judged on its own merits.

Previous Doctor's have had emotion & history as well as sci-fi and they've been male, it's no different, gender hasn't suddenly made the character any more caring & sharing, that's always been there, I admit, more so than others, Colin Baker had very little I grant you, Smith had tons of emotional moments and was 'emotionally intelligent'. Just because the character is now female, those traits are not purely there now because 'oh look, we want other females to watch', they've always been a part of the character, it's okay for men to demonstrate these aspects of character that exist and live within us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"