You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

Every so often Doctor Who wanders into a situation so profoundly serious that the concept kind of stops working. It's why they tend to keep the Doctor on the fringes of WWII rather than dealing with the Big Evils of the war.

This in a way is Doctor Who at its most basic level.

There were no big explosions, imminent death of Rosa, or alien level threat. It's the Doctor helping things along. Like what 12 said in his speech in Death in Heaven.

The tension in the episode was really around the companions and Rosa navigating the era. Which only could have happened cause the companions were POC.

13 era stuff I've noticed. The Doctor isn't ahead of the curve figuring stuff out and trust the companions enough to tell them she is figuring it out. 11/12 had a plan even when he didn't and wouldn't tell you he made it up until after it worked.

I know it's in the Doctor's character to help those that are in need. But at times when Doctor Who tackles a serious issue it comes across preachy and it sort becomes a lesson on morality, which I personally don't get any enjoyment from it.

I like that that 13 and her companions feel like a team.

I know it's in the Doctor's character to help those that are in need. But at times when Doctor Who tackles a serious issue it comes across preachy and it sort becomes a lesson on morality, which I personally don't get any enjoyment from it.

I'm not trying to convince you to like or agree. I get it. I think these types of stories serve a purpose in the larger character drama.

ROSA and VINCENT AND THE DOCTOR both were more companion stories highlighting time travel and the serious responsibilities around it. But also just solid character stuff. Doctor Who's version of a bottle episode.

I don't want every season to have a historical figure episode obviously, but I think here and there it does good to have the companions see the seriousness of the lives they interact with that's not about murder or timey-wimey sci-fi.

I'm not trying to convince you to like or agree. I get it. I think these types of stories serve a purpose in the larger character drama.

ROSA and VINCENT AND THE DOCTOR both were more companion stories highlighting time travel and the serious responsibilities around it. But also just solid character stuff. Doctor Who's version of a bottle episode.

I don't want every season to have a historical figure episode obviously, but I think here and there it does good to have the companions see the seriousness of the lives they interact with that's not about murder or timey-wimey sci-fi.

No worries, I didn't think you were trying to change my mind. I don't mind having a episode that had a historical figure in a episode once in a while. I loved Vincent and The Doctor, I'm probably in a minority when I say that I enjoyed the The Shakespeare Code. Objectively I can say that Rosa is a good story and I love the idea that humans can be inhuman/hateful/evil as the monsters we've seen in Doctor Who.

I respect Malorie Blackman and Chris Chibnall for not having the Doctor inspire Rosa Park to 'fight'. It would have been wrong to have The Doctor give a pep talk to Rosa Parks

The villain was very weak. Which was a shame. The idea of a reoccurring enemy who gently nudges history for nefarious reasons is a great idea, but needed a better character. Would have been perfect for The Master. Also, I love the idea of The Doctor being protective of history, but I’d like a companion episode where she has to guard a less pleasant historical figure than Rosa Parks. Stalin, for instance. Would create a great moral conundrum.
I think it's too soon for The Master to return. Series 10 was very Master-heavy.

I think it's too soon for The Master to return. Series 10 was very Master-heavy.
Yeah, the Master appeared in every series of Capaldi's run, and was a major focus of series 8 and 10. They should hold off on using villains like the Master, the Cybermen, and the Daleks for a season or two, so that they feel fresh again when they do finally appear.

Yeah. Although I am getting a mad monk type vibe at the moment,

Gee it’s going well though. Best season I’ve seen in ages. That joke with the doctor hinting that she’s Banksy is superb. How is she so talented so can go from powerful to goofy to inspirational so quickly and easily

Excuse me? Who are you to comment on why I watch the show? I was merely stating an observation that the villain brought the episode down because he was weak and not needed.

Fine, if you prefer to watch the show for certain ideologies, sexual equality, SJW agendas, feminism, and all manner of equal rights, then that's your prerogative. I just find it strange and I've never heard anyone say that they watch it for that?? I'm willing to bet you hadn't even heard of Rosa Parks until you heard DW was tackling it and you prefer to be spoonfed your ideologies.
For me and many, I like to watch it for the science-fiction, the fantasy, the high-tech, the lo-tech, the aliens, monsters, archenemies, megalomaniacs, robots, laser guns, spaceships, space battles, space exploration, alien planet exploration, ancient alien cultures, and of course time travel to interesting historical events.
Horses for courses I suppose but at the end of the day, what you listed is not what the show is about but if you're happy to look for them and watch it for those reasons, then be my guest, but that's not what people want when they watch DW. They tune in to other stuff for that.
Have fun ticking your boxes as you watch.

And the 10.90 million who watched her first episode.

What have audience figures got to do with people's opinions that she lacked an air of authority? Nothing.
You do know that first episodes of any Doctor has a curiosity peak, right? How do you know that everyone of that 10 million adored her performance? You don't. So please don't throw figures at me to prove that, as it is meaningless.
The show has shed over two million after two weeks anyway. Let's just hope it isn't a start of a pattern.

I think I'll give the next episode a miss. Not keen on watching creepy crawlies.

Yeah, the Master appeared in every series of Capaldi's run, and was a major focus of series 8 and 10. They should hold off on using villains like the Master, the Cybermen, and the Daleks for a season or two, so that they feel fresh again when they do finally appear.
The Daleks can appear, but the Master needs a rest until the next era of the show.

Fine, if you prefer to watch the show for certain ideologies, sexual equality, SJW agendas, feminism, and all manner of equal rights, then that's your prerogative. I just find it strange and I've never heard anyone say that they watch it for that?? I'm willing to bet you hadn't even heard of Rosa Parks until you heard DW was tackling it and you prefer to be spoonfed your ideologies.
For me and many, I like to watch it for the science-fiction, the fantasy, the high-tech, the lo-tech, the aliens, monsters, archenemies, megalomaniacs, robots, laser guns, spaceships, space battles, space exploration, alien planet exploration, ancient alien cultures, and of course time travel to interesting historical events.
Horses for courses I suppose but at the end of the day, what you listed is not what the show is about but if you're happy to look for them and watch it for those reasons, then be my guest, but that's not what people want when they watch DW. They tune in to other stuff for that.
Have fun ticking your boxes as you watch.
But I never even said that was what I watched the show for, only that Rosa would have been a better episode without Krasko. Plus I would never slam someone for 'watching for the wrong reasons'. There are no 'wrong reasons' to watch any show or film, read any book or play any game. I will challenge anyone who tries to impose rules on what is a right/wrong reason for watching a piece of entertainment.

What have audience figures got to do with people's opinions that she lacked an air of authority? Nothing.
You do know that first episodes of any Doctor has a curiosity peak, right? How do you know that everyone of that 10 million adored her performance? You don't. So please don't throw figures at me to prove that, as it is meaningless.
The show has shed over two million after two weeks anyway. Let's just hope it isn't a start of a pattern.
Actually, everything. You don't watch something you don't enjoy.

So in the next episode spiders will be the big monster which will be written by Chibnall... Meh and I'm not looking forward to it as Chibnall so far has been underwhelming. Series 11 isn't terrible but it's not great either. It's just been okay.

So in the next episode spiders will be the big monster which will be written by Chibnall... Meh and I'm not looking forward to it as Chibnall so far has been underwhelming. Series 11 isn't terrible but it's not great either. It's just been okay.
The return of the Eight Legs from Planet of the Spiders is imminent...

The 13th Doctor has already caught on for the BBC on Strictly Come Dancing. A Doctor Who Tango routine to the Dr Who theme with reporter Stacey Dooley as the Doctor. She certainly looks great in the part.

sei_37147020-4244-e1540666157743.jpg

strictly-come-dancing-2018-stacey-dooley-kevin-clifton-body-language-1573255.jpg

gallery-1540666454-stacey-dooley-with-kevin-clifton-on-strictly-come-dancing.jpg

Stacey-Dooley-and-Kevin-Clifton-danced-the-Tango-1573251.jpg

Mandip Gill was also in the audience to support.

doctorwhostrictly-808f.jpg

Video to follow later on.

Last edited:
And here's the video of the full routine:

Very inventive. My only wish is that it were the Murray Gold theme from Season 5 with the fanfare and the chase motif, but I guess they weren't going to do that for the 13th Doctor.

Finally caught Rosa. That was a VERY good episode.

My daughter really likes the new Doctor. We just finished her Halloween costume -

View attachment 12351

Awesome, always great to see the show continuing to create new fans.

And any chance we could get a thread title change C. Lee? The thread title came from a 12th Doctor quote and it's a bit out of date now. Maybe "I'm Just a Traveller - The Doctor Who Thread"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"