You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

It needs to basically, in my opinion course correct itself... have an episode that is set further along the time line - say 10 years into her regeneration. Change the hair up - going from being male and short hair to suddenly having this perfect bob... I couldn’t do it - no one could. She should have had a messy tom boy style hair cut - easy to maintain and tie in more with tennant, smith etc.. make her more battle hardened - she has seen some stuff so Naturally it effects you.. have episodes off world.. aliens - wars, famine... a distopian mad max ride... she’s female but she’s the doctor - appearances and protocol of that should be least of her worries.. I don’t want her to be tough - I just want her to be a leader... keep all the quirks and humour - but let’s steer away from kids lessons to good old layered sci fi space westerns.

First, Sunday has a bigger television audience. Second, while losing ratings from a big opening is normal, it's still losing them, very consistently. And this isn't just live ratings, where a drop being this hard would make sense. This is with iPlayer, DVR, etc.

For 2018, and for the first time, the BBC have now started to register viewings on tablets, something the previous years had not. So that's a nice boost to the latest viewing figures.
Even Eccleston's and Tennant's Doctor didn't have the privilege of iPlayer hits back in their day.

Viewing figures are up from last year due to it being shown on a Sunday. Sunday has been Series 11's success story.
If this series was still on a Saturday it would be getting the same figures as previous series, perhaps even fewer, which is why it is unfair to compare the two days as they are entirely different animals in viewing habit terms.
Not to mention weaker opposition on a Sunday, that people watch more television on a Sunday, a fixed schedule, between two extremely popular Top Ten BBC shows, etc. That is not nothing.
Sunday has been the shows 'success' in ratings.

Losing ratings from a big opening is normal but it's still losing them, very consistently. And this isn't just live ratings, where a drop being this hard would make sense. This is with iPlayer, DVR, tablets, etc.

To say it is averaging higher then Tennant's third season is a really bad argument, that makes no logic sense. Take out the first episode of the new season, which had the new Doctor hook, and see the average at the end of the season. Heck if he ratings keep on falling like this, even with only 10 episodes and the new era bounce episode, it is going to slip well behind. On a Sunday. Which has a the biggest audience share of the week.

3.24 million drop from episode 1 to 5 has been the fastest drop in the show's history.
Compared to Series 10, from ep.1 to 5, it had dropped 1.4 million.

Last edited:
The name of Doctor Who series 11 finale is "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos". Seriously Chibnall? lol. He comes up with daft title names.

I do feel sorry for Moffat. The Doctor Falls was so supposed to be Peter Capaldi's last episode but Chibnall didn't want to start his run with a Christmas special. So Moffat decided to do Twice Upon A Time just so Doctor Who can keep its Christmas slot. But as soon as Chibnall joins he ditches it :hehe: Honestly Moffat shouldn't have bothered.

I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming historical episode "The Witchfinders" will be well received by the fans. It will be interesting if the historical episodes will be the main highlight from the Chibnall era.

I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming historical episode "The Witchfinders" will be well received by the fans. It will be interesting if the historical episodes will be the main highlight from the Chibnall era.

Since the story title was revealed and the candid photographs that were associated with this one, it has been the one that has sparked my interest the most. I love all things witchcraft, the history of Matthew Hopkins, The Witch Finder General being one of my favourite horror films of all time, visited The Witchcraft Museum in Boscastle half a dozen times within the last decade, so a story set around Salem has whet my appetite.

I usually enjoy historical episodes. Even the bad ones. They can be such goofy fun. I am curious how this one goes.

Let’s just hope it’s not another forced message - oh I am now a woman and accused of being a witch - this never happened before with my travels.. i’m Woke now... you also...

Confirmation regarding the 'non' Christmas, seasonal special....

Doctor Who Christmas special 'not happening this year' — moved to New Years day

A shame but not the end of the world. New Year's Day can be a bit of a lull anyway from the festivities of the night before, so it'll be something to look forwards to.
But I suppose some people will confuse The Independent as being a tabloid and still be in denial about it and say that there WILL be a Christmas Special on Christmas Day.

A shame but not the end of the world. New Year's Day can be a bit of a lull anyway from the festivities of the night before, so it'll be something to look forwards to.
But I suppose some people will confuse The Independent as being a tabloid and still be in denial about it and say that there WILL be a Christmas Special on Christmas Day.

I think this constitutes 'confirmation' and coming from the horse's mouth.....

Doctor Who to skip Christmas Day

The no Xmas special just feels like another attempt to seperate itself from all things ‘old British culture’.. doesn’t want to offend non Xmas celebrators so have it at new year so the word Christmas doesn’t have to be uttered.

The no Xmas special just feels like another attempt to seperate itself from all things ‘old British culture’.. doesn’t want to offend non Xmas celebrators so have it at new year so the word Christmas doesn’t have to be uttered.

As with the shift from Saturday to Sunday, it’s possible the BBC may also be covering their backs if a 2018 Christmas Day transmission under performs... as they’ll then be able to blame it on the NYD shift.

Don't care too much if Chibnall leaves but Whittaker would be a loss.

Jodie as she is now, wouldn't be a loss.... jodie well into her stride and her own role, would be.... but we aren't there yet. Also, i think it would be a shame that a female doctor failed, as it shouldn't.

I would rather they do this....

move to a streaming service - let's say Netflix. It's a semi reboot in the fact that a new Doctor turns up for a new series, he's obviously from the future, we don't know what number he is... we just have fun, sci fi adventures where the BBC is cannon if you like it to be but for all intents and purposes, it's the first doctor and then just let it move organically - have actors guest star as future or past installments.. the time line is all over the shop in the sense it's not explained but each episode is standalone and we just have fun.

As an example.... The doctor is played by Pierce Brosnan, then one adventure features another doctor from his past... it's Matt Smith. They have fun and games and move along with Pierce again. Second series, starts off with Matt Smith as the doctor, we have some stand alone fun, then boom, he meets Pierce Doctor and that's the connecting tissue. Then we have a couple more adventures then he meets Tilda Swinton Doctor - have travels and chats then Matt goes off in his tardis. Series 3, starts of with Pierce Doctor regenerating, turns into Danny Pudi Doctor, have some adventures, then meets Jodie Doctor.

I guess what i am saying is, The Doctor, due to the nature of our reality and time line, one companion to the doctor could in theory see the many faces of the doctor and that's what i would like to explore. The doctor keeps getting drawn back to the companion, no matter what distractions come his way.

Let’s just hope it’s not another forced message - oh I am now a woman and accused of being a witch - this never happened before with my travels.. i’m Woke now... you also...
The Doctor is a woman though. Which would effect her travelling in the past on Earth. Now, does that mean it can be handled better? Of course. But the idea that it wouldn't be an issue just doesn't really make much sense.

Last edited:
Netflix? BBC owns Doctor Who....

I was speculating at what i would like to happen and i said 'move to a streaming service' such as netflix, where the previous BBC owned catalogue could be seen as cannon if wanted. Purely day dreaming as another way to reignite a what looks to be stagnating series. You misread what i wrote.

The Doctor is a woman though. Which would effect her travelling in the past on Earth. Now, does that mean it can be handled better? Of course. But the idea that it wouldn't be an issue just doesn't really make much sense.

Again, as i said, 'i hope it isn't a forced message'. That suggests i am open to the story, but it just feels they thought... "ok, we have a female doctor, let's throw the doctor into situations where the audience can learn something or feel the woman's plight. which lends to my statement that the doctor will feel prejudice for the sex she now is. So far the show has been about girl power and political trends, it's too on the nose.

I really don't see how they've overdone anything with the new Doctor's gender, if anything it's played a much smaller role in this series than I thought it would, I certainly don't see how they're throwing the Doctor into situations that showcase the "woman's plight", or seen anything that feels like excessive on the nose girl power.

I really don't see how they've overdone anything with the new Doctor's gender, if anything it's played a much smaller role in this series than I thought it would, I certainly don't see how they're throwing the Doctor into situations that showcase the "woman's plight", or seen anything that feels like excessive on the nose girl power.

Fair enough...

Really hope she isn't a 'one series' Doctor. I hope she has her duration, 3-4 series. I, personally wouldn't say its not been a success, tonight's episode was the first, for me, BAD episode, the A.I. Amazon-esque, Monsters Inc. was a bit 'much' and it just felt silly, but overall, I've been impressed by what I've seen and a massive NO to streaming, (mainly cos I don't do Netflix) but because it's BBC and their institution.

Really hope she isn't a 'one series' Doctor. I hope she has her duration, 3-4 series. I, personally wouldn't say its not been a success, tonight's episode was the first, for me, BAD episode, the A.I. Amazon-esque, Monsters Inc. was a bit 'much' and it just felt silly, but overall, I've been impressed by what I've seen and a massive NO to streaming, (mainly cos I don't do Netflix) but because it's BBC and their institution.

Even if they are dragging it down and holding it back with their PC agenda?

Even if they are dragging it down and holding it back with their PC agenda?

Only that as I say, I wouldn't be able to see it, if it went off BBC as I don't do anything on-line in the way of streaming.

I really liked this episode, felt a lot more like traditional modern Doctor Who to me, loved the design of the robots and the ending twists caught me off guard. This is probably the most enjoyable episode of series 11 for me, just a fun adventure with some creepy robots and a mystery for the Doctor to solve, a nice contrast to the much more serious episode we got last week.

And didn't expect this throwaway line from the S5 finale to get followed up on, Eleven was serious, he could, and apparently did, buy a fez, it just wound up taking at least 1500 years for it to get delivered, delivering to a time traveler must be annoying as hell.

Last edited:
I thought Kerblam was fine. It's a solid episode and its probably one of the few episodes from series 11 that I will actually rewatch. I pretty much liked all of the side characters as all of the guest stars were great. I didn't expect one of the works to be the evil mastermind and the fact that it was the system that asked for the Doctor's help than one of the side characters was a nice twist.

Kerblam isn't one of the best Doctor Who that I have ever see and there were some flaws as it feels like an average RTD era episode. But it's a very enjoyable episode and it feels like Doctor Who to me. I give it 7/10.

I enjoy the sci fi elements off world... it just looks cheap having sets around the uk and saying it's off world..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"