You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

I just started watching series 8 again and it's a lot better than I remembered. I think Peter Capaldi's Doctor might be one of my favourite Doctor's ever. I never really rated him before, perhaps I was being too harsh because I was used to the "approachable" Doctors like Ten and Eleven (I didn't watch a lot of Classic Who at the time). I appreciate that he wasn't instantly lovable which is quite refreshing and he genuinely felt like an ancient being that has seen so much in his lifetime.

Well in the UK the ratings for the last episode had slightly gone up. But I agree that there's not a substance in this series and I wouldn't even say that it was because there's no story arc. It's just the writing most of the time is so uninspiring and unoriginal.
I love season 8. It only has one real dud imo (In the Forest of the Night). But overall it is a mix of a really great episodes, and really fun episodes. Also the overall arc for the season, along with the individual ones for 12 and Clara are pretty fantastic imo.

I keep getting videos suggested to me on YT about how Chris Chibnall and Jodi are leaving and how Who is ruined. I don't go to Who forums anymore. Is it really getting that bad with the fandom?
I avoid those forums and rumors as well because they usually aren't true and they are always exaggerations when they are true.

My channel blocker extension has been getting quite a few channels added to it with all that clickbait crap getting posted on youtube about those rumors.

I keep getting videos suggested to me on YT about how Chris Chibnall and Jodi are leaving and how Who is ruined. I don't go to Who forums anymore. Is it really getting that bad with the fandom?

I think more than any fandom sub-group, Whovians are opposed to 'change' more so than most other groups, which in itself is beyond ironic.

Any news that are stating that Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall are merely unfounded rumors. The sources of these rumors are from those that don't like series 11. Honestly I would take these rumors with a grain of salt.

I think these are people spreading the rumor in hopes of making it true. Chibnall hasn't impressed me any but I still like Whittaker's take. She is doing her best with the material she has.

Don't wanna be doom and gloom, but that item has nothing to do with said iconic actor - it's more to please the PC brigade. Just look at the images of said actor and that item.... no comparison's.

I don't know how to tag spoilers since the forum upgrade.

however, i felt the latest episode was a lot better...

They always give Graham the best emotional stuff and the actor certainly pulls it off. I wish they'd give Ryan some of that level of introspection.

The episode's symbolism of grief and the anti-zone were genuinely creepy and interesting.

Bit of a different episode so having a hard time articulating my thoughts, but I'll just say this was the first episode of series 11 that I've genuinely loved, that was great and very outside the box, kind of felt like a Big Finish episode of Doctor Who except as a full on episode of the show instead of just an audio play. Back to Chibnall for the finale next week, hope he can put out something great, his episodes this series have been mostly mixed bags, though Woman Who Fell to Earth and Ghost Monument have grown on me quite a bit on rewatches.

Last edited:
It Takes you Away is a decent episode. Graham was easily the highlight of this episode and Bradley Walsh's performance on this episode was amazing. I thought Ryan and Graham scene near the end of the episode was well written. It's nice to see that Ryan towards of the end of series 11 develop a respect for Graham and that he finally sees Graham as family by calling him granddad which I thought was A sweet moment.

For a moment I actually thought we would see Soletract as Susan but it was actually a frog lol. That scene with frog was bizarre and its only in Doctor Who which there is a sentient universe that takes on the form of a talking frog. I'm not sure whether its ridiculous or clever. This episode had lots of interesting ideas but I felt the writer should have saved that bit with anti-zone for another episode.

Yaz felt like the third wheel... like with most of the episode in series 11 but I did enjoy her scenes with the Doctor and Mandip Gill has good chemistry with Jodie Whittaker. Shame Yaz didn't do anything significant in tonight's episode. But overall this episode wasn't so bad and I think It Takes you Away will be the most memorable episode of series 11. I need to rewatch this a few more times to articulate more on what I liked or didn't like but I appreciate that it wasn't safe like most of the episodes in series 11.

I would give this a 7/10

First two episodes, meh, Rosa episode, cringey, spiders episode, great, Pting episode, meh. But the last three episodes really landed for me, so I think the show has found its feet.

It Takes you Away is a decent episode. Graham was easily the highlight of this episode and Bradley Walsh's performance on this episode was amazing. I thought Ryan and Graham scene near the end of the episode was well written. It's nice to see that Ryan towards of the end of series 11 develop a respect for Graham and that he finally sees Graham as family by calling him granddad which I thought was A sweet moment.

For a moment I actually thought we would see Soletract as Susan but it was actually a frog lol. That scene with frog was bizarre and its only in Doctor Who which there is a sentient universe that takes on the form of a talking frog. I'm not sure whether its ridiculous or clever. This episode had lots of interesting ideas but I felt the writer should have saved that bit with anti-zone for another episode.

Yaz felt like the third wheel... like with most of the episode in series 11 but I did enjoy her scenes with the Doctor and Mandip Gill has good chemistry with Jodie Whittaker. Shame Yaz didn't do anything significant in tonight's episode. But overall this episode wasn't so bad and I think It Takes you Away will be the most memorable episode of series 11. I need to rewatch this a few more times to articulate more on what I liked or didn't like but I appreciate that it wasn't safe like most of the episodes in series 11.

I would give this a 7/10

That's the reason that didn't land for me. The frog was a thing for Graham and his wife. Assuming the universe was pulling from the people's memories for information. That's why the blind daughter didn't fall for it. She recognized more subtle stuff that the universe couldn't replicate exactly.

The Doctor should have seen something related to her past. Even if it was just the Tardis speaking with a voice.

Apparently frogs symbolize rebirth and the life cycle, so I get it on the theme front.

That's the reason that didn't land for me. The frog was a thing for Graham and his wife. Assuming the universe was pulling from the people's memories for information. That's why the blind daughter didn't fall for it. She recognized more subtle stuff that the universe couldn't replicate exactly.

The Doctor should have seen something related to her past. Even if it was just the Tardis speaking with a voice.

Apparently frogs symbolize rebirth and the life cycle, so I get it on the theme front.
I just wished that the frog just communicated telepathically. Seeing the frog opening its mouth when speaking was distracting for me and looked totally fake.

For me another class episode after the Witch one. Overall, in my view, it's been a terrific series. This latest episode 8/10 and although they'd clearly watched IT, I thought Ribbons was proper creepy for 'kiddies tea-time'.

Way I saw it is it knew the Doctor would not be swayed by any form it could possibly take, so chose not to waste its time trying to manipulate her that way. I loved the idea of it though, a lonely entity that loved everything about our universe and desperately wanted to be a part of it, but just couldn't, the scene between it and the Doctor was really sad and endearing for me, and probably my favorite moment of Whittaker as the Doctor so far.

Way I saw it is it knew the Doctor would not be swayed by any form it could possibly take, so chose not to waste its time trying to manipulate her that way. I loved the idea of it though, a lonely entity that loved everything about our universe and desperately wanted to be a part of it, but just couldn't, the scene between it and the Doctor was really sad and endearing for me, and probably my favorite moment of Whittaker as the Doctor so far.

Yeah, my brother mentioned it felt like something Grant Morrison would have written.

The visuals of grief and loneliness were well done. Even felt bad for Ribbons a bit. He just sort of accepted being alone and only eating. Never even tried to go through the door ways. The red balloon was so beautiful looking.

They always give Graham the best emotional stuff and the actor certainly pulls it off. I wish they'd give Ryan some of that level of introspection.

The episode's symbolism of grief and the anti-zone were genuinely creepy and interesting.

I am really connected to Graham and Ryan's arc, it's the highlight and that last scene was executed well.

Totally, the whole scene, the mist, the illuminati imagery with the triangles and the parallels were great, but the frog... of all they could have used... i mean the frog idea was good but executed shamefully....

I just wished that the frog just communicated telepathically. Seeing the frog opening its mouth when speaking was distracting for me and looked totally fake.

I wished it was a mirror with like a holographic frog, where just the face lit up, like bohemiam rhapsody - it too looked fake to me and ruined what was a great moment for jodie, i was thinking oh wow, she has got a great vibe going on, finally but what is that frog doing..

I just had the idea, what if the script was the same, for the sentinent universe, but instead of a frog, it was stock footage of every doctor saying those words - like a cut up, mash up - like his face appearing from the mist, altering with each word - almost a marlon brando superman the movie scene.... would be epic.

It Takes me Away is my fav episode of series 11. I really like that it was ambitious and imaginative. I appreciate that it wasn't safe like most of the episodes in series 11. Its a perfect episode for those that have experienced loss and loneliness. It's got a proper sci-fi concept which I liked.

The biggest thing for me out of this series has been Walsh and his performance. I, (and it's here in this thread) wrote him off as 'just a game show host' and didn't believe he was going to bring anything worthwhile to the programme. How wrong I was. He's been superb frankly within context of being a supporting character, and has grown throughout, in dealing with some pretty 'heavy' material.

The biggest thing for me out of this series has been Walsh and his performance. I, (and it's here in this thread) wrote him off as 'just a game show host' and didn't believe he was going to bring anything worthwhile to the programme. How wrong I was. He's been superb frankly within context of being a supporting character, and has grown throughout, in dealing with some pretty 'heavy' material.

I love Graham as a character, makes me miss Wilfred Mott as well. However, I feel a sense of foreboding with this guy, like he won't have a happy ending.

I love Graham as a character, makes me miss Wilfred Mott as well. However, I feel a sense of foreboding with this guy, like he won't have a happy ending.
I feel like him saying he has cancer in the first episode is going to come full circle in the end..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"