You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

oh no I forgot war doctor! I love war doctor! I even paid for the big finish audio tapes to follow his story. Oh well really I like all of them. I can’t really choose. But I think capaldi definitely needs more respect
With Capaldi I feel like a lot of people got use to the nice guy, younger Doctor. Even 9 rarely pushed the grumpy button and seemed rather young in comparison. With 12, Moffat hit us hard with someone who was looking to distance himself after a life of a lot of tragedy and emphasized that with his look and attitude. 11 went through so much, his next form couldn't take it. If I am honest, I didn't know how to feel about him after Deep Breath. But Into the Dalek, Robots of Sherwood and Listen put him beautifully into perspective for me, and I have adored him since. I like how "alien" humanity seemed to him, after the Doctor spent a thousand years on Christmas.

One of the reasons I feel like Clara is seen as Marmite is because her dynamic with 12 plays out with this in mind. She fights with him, she loses her temper with him, and she isn't sure of how to deal with such a different Doctor from 11 to the point that she almost quits. It hits her hard, because 11 even more so then 10, is the most inviting person. Even when they fought it was all kinds of flirting. With 12, Clara is trying to drag him towards humanity kicking and screaming, while 12 knows that the more time she spends with him, the more like him she is becoming. Which he knows is an issue, but he still can't quit her. In a lot of ways with 12 and Clara, Clara is the Doctor, continually saving him from himself and I don't think that is a dynamic a lot of people like, though I personally do.

With the finale of season 8 and Last Christmas, we see how he has changed. How she has changed him, and more importantly how he is changing her. I think a lot of people assumed that the change in 12 with season 9 and 10 came because people didn't like him, but I disagree. I feel like it was the arc Moffat intended from the start, and if you watch all of 12's era kind of close together, it becomes more apparent imo. His sympathy for Missy isn't just down to the relationship between the Doctor and the Master. It is also there because of Clara, and what she did for 12.

I watch the first four episodes of the 11th season, and I have noticed definitely a major shift in tone and style. The show almost kind of feels shot more similar to Torchwood than Doctor Who. Minus the language and more extreme violence, obviously

I watch the first four episodes of the 11th season, and I have noticed definitely a major shift in tone and style. The show almost kind of feels shot more similar to Torchwood than Doctor Who. Minus the language and more extreme violence, obviously
The look of the show is definitely more modern British television. It some ways it looks more pricey. In others more cheap and definitely less unique imo. One thing I really like is how travelling through time looks. The lava lamp web looks pretty neat imo. What do you think of the new desktop, opening sequence and version of the theme?

The look of the show is definitely more modern British television. It some ways it looks more pricey. In others more cheap and definitely less unique imo. One thing I really like is how travelling through time looks. The lava lamp web looks pretty neat imo. What do you think of the new desktop, opening sequence and version of the theme?

I like the new theme and intro, but I do miss the hot opens. Not crazy about going right into the theme.

The location shooting is a definite plus to me.
Is there more location shooting? Though that probably would explain why no matter what, a lot of the episodes feel like shows shot in Canada and for the BBC. So you know, Vancouver. :hehe:

7 episodes deep in season 11. I don't dislike the cast or the episodes, but I will say that in this first 7, I don't think they landed a home run episode. They have ranged from good to fine so far.

Probably going to finish this season tomorrow night. Then watch Resolution on Tuesday.

I'm ticked. I didn't get to see season 12 first run.....recently started watching them on my cable's ON DEMAND system. there were 10 episodes in the season....AND MY CABLE ONLY HAS 8!!! :argh:

I'm ticked. I didn't get to see season 12 first run.....recently started watching them on my cable's ON DEMAND system. there were 10 episodes in the season....AND MY CABLE ONLY HAS 8!!! :argh:
That's stupid. Which episodes are missing? If one is Spyfall and the other the two part finale, is there a chance they just put the two parters together?

Yeah, I've had that happen to me before with recording and ondemand.

That's stupid. Which episodes are missing? If one is Spyfall and the other the two part finale, is there a chance they just put the two parters together?
The last two episodes are missing. I'm hoping BBC America reruns the shows on the air so I get a chance to watch them.

The Blu-ray and DVD set for the new season is I think supposed to come out in May. So worst case there doc, you could always get that set to finish out the season. That's how I'm going to have to experience that season anyway

The Blu-ray and DVD set for the new season is I think supposed to come out in May. So worst case there doc, you could always get that set to finish out the season. That's how I'm going to have to experience that season anyway
Oh, I'll get the DVD when it comes out (I have all the shows from Eccleston on)....just pissed that Catie and I sat and watched 8 episodes leading up to a season ender about the Cybermen....and the ending episodes are missing.

Finished season 11. Just have the special before waiting for the season 12 blu ray release. All in all, it was fine. I don't think it has any home run episodes. Just a bunch of good to average ones. I think the 3 companions is an issue. Usually, only 1 or maybe 2 of the companions is showcased, but while the characters themselves are fine, the show would be better with 1 or 2 well developed and more integral companions than it is with 3 that sometimes fade into the background. Also, Davies and Moffit I deff think had a better handle on writing for Doctor Who. Though maybe Chibnall develops this in time.

I do like Jodie Whitaker. Prob my least favorite of the New Who Doctors, but I still like her. The trend I have seen is usually second or third seasons for a Doctor end up better than their initial seasons are, though I know reputation on the most recent season indicates maybe that doesn't happen here. That said, I'd like to see Whitaker get better material to work with.

The Resolution special was much better. That was a fun episode.

Doctors past and present thank doctors and frontline workers in this video:

One Doctor is missing. I'll leave it up to you all to guess who - or Who.

I wonder if some doctor some day will be able to remove that stick from that one Doctor's ass?

So awesome seeing Ruth Doctor included there. Can’t wait til she gets a better name then Ruth Doctor

Oh my God, someone deliver groceries to David Tennant's house, we looks like he's wasting away.

I’ve always thought he was a bit skinny. Donna noble was right. I hope someone shouts him to a meal or something

Last edited:
So I'm hearing that Doctor Who will now be airing new episodes on HBO Max alongside BBC as opposed to BBC America? Who will be airing the episodes at a later time?

James Corden had Jodie Whitaker and David Tennant on as guests

They also judged a costume contest

I wonder if some doctor some day will be able to remove that stick from that one Doctor's ass?

It was a bad time for him which caused severe depression and weight loss.

So awesome seeing Ruth Doctor included there. Can’t wait til she gets a better name then Ruth Doctor

I never cared for it, she was poorly handled and rushed in... it felt totally derivative and political.

2 more episodes in season 12 before I am caught up. Obviously, I know the most divisive episode is still to come, so no opinion on that until i see it. But, the show has some core problems still. Usually the 2nd season of a new Doctor's tenure in New Doctor Who is when they hit their stride, but this season is fairly close in quality to season 11.

I think it comes down to a few major factors for me:

1 - Too many companions. This show has 3 characters, who are not bad themselves, but too often it feels like only 1 companion gets focus on a given episode. The other 2 are just there and their lines of dialogue can often be said by any of them. If you cannot find a way to keep the 3 companions feeling unique, then you have too many. I would rather have 1 really well developed companion than 3 who struggle to be interesting episode to episode.

2 - Style. This show kind of doesn't feel like Doctor Who sometimes. It feels more like Torchwood. In some ways, the visuals feel more cinematic, but the overall environments don't have as much imagination IMO. Too many planets just look like a place we would see on Earth now. Lots of forests, deserts, etc. Even if some environments in the show looked more fake, they often gave the show more of a sci-fi flare. I feel like they downplay it now.

3 - Villains. The villains are way too often boring. I am not saying use the Daleks or Cybermen or Master ALL the time. But there were plenty of episodes featuring 1 off villains that were great. Here, all too often they're too basic or revealed way too late and thus underdeveloped.

These are my 3 key problems at the moment. I will post my opinion of the season 12 finale when I get there, but I think I have seen enough for me to feel comfortable saying this is my least favorite era of New Doctor Who. I like Jodie Whitaker overall in the role, but the show around her is inferior. I mostly blame Chibnall for this.

I feel like the best thing this series can do is take a break... take a break from it all...

It's lost its way so much and is a shadow of its former self.

one example, they make a huge deal of promoting the next doctor, it's big news - then it secretly throws in another doctor.. makes no impact at all, besides ticking off boxes... imagine if someone like Thandie Newton was introduced as this mysterious woman, she's hyper cool... smart, and we get to know her, but we see something familiar, then over her story arc it's revealed she's a doctor - boom. That's awesome.. heck, we can even accept the multiverse idea... but proper delve into it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"