You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

They could really piss off a number of them by casting a black female Doctor.

They could really piss off a number of them by casting a black female Doctor.
If the actress looked the part and gave a solid performance, people would be warmed to it.. but that move at this stage would be trolling.

Why would it be trolling?
going with a female of colour at this point would be trolling.... it's like, a female caused a big enough splash, let's change the race next as well... instead of thinking about character then finding the person that fits, it appears to be, ok, how many boxes can we tick.

going with a female of colour at this point would be trolling.... it's like, a female caused a big enough splash, let's change the race next as well... instead of thinking about character then finding the person that fits, it appears to be, ok, how many boxes can we tick.
And why do you assume this can't be a woman of color? Outside of racists and sexists, who is being trolled in this scenario?

2c1c7c8bf5835db4e392485d0627b949.jpg

If the actress looked the part and gave a solid performance, people would be warmed to it.. but that move at this stage would be trolling.
Considering this is the Doctor we're talking about, what does this even mean? The Doctor can literally look like anyone and the character's fashion sense is just as prone to change as well.

Loki Star Sophia Di Martino Open To Playing Doctor Who

This needs to happen. I think she'd be way better than Jodie Whittaker and far more interesting to watch and not annoying like her.

I've thought before this article that Sophia would make a good Doctor.
nice, I can see it..... I would love the series moving forward to not be in chronological order.... in the sense that the season starts off with an established doctor and companion, no origins, just straight off adventure withe two long term friends.. we don't even know what number the doctor is... then, after 4/5 episodes the Tardis lands and out steps a different doctor.... looking for the companion... what was seconds for them, the doctor since regenerated or 5 and remembered them... throw in a few episodes of fun, even to the point where they reminisce of past adventures, how the doctor was like 'don't tell me' and tie one episode from before up, an episode that was left on a cliff hanger so to speak or was unresolved... then have the og doctor of that series show up and be like 'don't tell me' what just happened... then, have a new companion show up... and we don't learn much about the companion... but it turns out it's actually the doctor and it's two on an adventure.. maybe even have matt smith return...

Considering this is the Doctor we're talking about, what does this even mean? The Doctor can literally look like anyone and the character's fashion sense is just as prone to change as well.
The actor that plays the Doctor has this... essence to the them, a certain quirk... it's not something you can describe, you just see it...

too bad you do not comprehend the mode of the room, tired of then BBC writers and team getting too political and tokenism.. if you cannot see that many would roll their eyes at such an obvious move, then... well.. you can't I guess.

Loki Star Sophia Di Martino Open To Playing Doctor Who

This needs to happen. I think she'd be way better than Jodie Whittaker and far more interesting to watch and not annoying like her.

I've thought before this article that Sophia would make a good Doctor.
I'd be open to that, although I don't think she'd necessarily do better than Whittaker, I've been impressed with Whittaker in pretty much everything else I've seen her in. I'm inclined to think that the thirteenth Doctor's shortcomings are almost entirely on Chibnall and the other writers failing to give her much of a unique identity as the Doctor. Chibnall is playing against his strengths and started off by taking inspiration from the fifth Doctor's run and emulated its biggest flaws in the process, namely having more characters than the current writing team is capable of juggling, and all of the characters coming off as somewhat hollow in the process.

Last edited:
too bad you do not comprehend the mode of the room, tired of then BBC writers and team getting too political and tokenism.. if you cannot see that many would roll their eyes at such an obvious move, then... well.. you can't I guess.
Dude. Crying "too political" over casting women and minorities is like elementary school level gatekeeping stuff. Get a little more creative with it.

It's code for white gentleman.
I guess you could call these people white gentleman... I guess it is 2021 after all.

Julia Swalha
Tilda Swinton
Richard Ayoade
Danny Pudi
Thandiwe Newton
oh and why not, Cillian Murphy.

Dude. Crying "too political" over casting women and minorities is like elementary school level gatekeeping stuff. Get a little more creative with it.
That's exactly my point.... love.

They hinted for a long time a woman could be a time lord, they then threw in men giving birth, gay characters... they covered civil movements, women's rights.. they rammed it down the British throats, it was too obvious... it wasn't at all organic.. so again, to then make the next one a woman of colour is too, obvious - infact, they did it... with Jo Martin - they rushed it, to score points... it can totally work, just make it organic, the viewers ain't dumb... If you don't get it, you don't get it.

make it organic... is my point...

That's exactly my point.... love.

They hinted for a long time a woman could be a time lord, they then threw in men giving birth, gay characters... they covered civil movements, women's rights.. they rammed it down the British throats, it was too obvious... it wasn't at all organic.. so again, to then make the next one a woman of colour is too, obvious - infact, they did it... with Jo Martin - they rushed it, to score points... it can totally work, just make it organic, the viewers ain't dumb... If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Oh no, gay characters? How could they? They went too far this time.

I guess you could call these people white gentleman... I guess it is 2021 after all.

Julia Swalha
Tilda Swinton
Richard Ayoade
Danny Pudi
Thandiwe Newton
oh and why not, Cillian Murphy.
Oh, very nice of you to compile a list of actors and actress of color. I am glad your google search works. Now, would you explain how casting a woman of color as an alien who can look literally like any humanoid form, is trolling? You know like how there is no text stating that aliens from a little exploding rock in far away space, must be white or their son cannot be named Kal-El.

Snow also has google. She knows what Trumpism and Brexit is. She knows what "too political and tokenism" means.

Frankly, anybody that would feel trolled by a woman of color getting cast is somebody that I honestly can't say I care about the feelings of, regardless of how "organic" the decison to cast said actress was.
What gets me is by the very concept in which these people argue the concept of "organic", it is impossible. Because any theoretical change is inorganic to those that would complain about it in the first place. This isn't an argument over the talent of the performer. This is all about their identity, based solely on the "that isn't how it was principle", that is more often then not, stoked in very obvious bigotry.

You see it with discussions about a black Superman, a black Bond, so on and so forth.

So, Captain Jack, one of the more beloved characters, wasn't organic? Bill Potts wasn't a great companion? I understand the story around Jo Martin's Doctor was all "**** your continuity", and that pissed off fans. But really, you wouldn't want a bunch of episodes with her?

I'd be open to that, although I don't think she'd necessarily do better than Whittaker, I've been impressed with Whittaker in pretty much everything else I've seen her in. I'm inclined to think that the thirteenth Doctor's shortcomings are almost entirely on Chibnall and the other writers failing to give her much of a unique identity as the Doctor. Chibnall is playing against his strengths and started off by taking inspiration from the fifth Doctor's run and emulated its biggest flaws in the process, namely having more characters than the current writing team is capable of juggling, and all of the characters coming off as somewhat hollow in the process.

I never understood why she needed so many companions. It felt as if the show runners were trying to compensate for the fact that she was a woman and therefore gave viewers all these other characters in case she couldn't cut it. But all the other recent doctors just had one companion and also a woman. They could've given Whittaker a single female companion to accompany her.

I personally find Whittaker annoying to watch even in interviews outside of the show. I think someone like Sophia Di Martino would have enough quirk about her but also an edge where she could be possibly a hero or villain but you're not quite sure - a bit like her character in Loki. Whittaker seems a bit too benign and twee and often cringeworthy to watch.

Di Martino might also be better at action scenes.

Now a lot of this will also depend on getting new writers for Who and more interesting stories but I think Di Martino could be good in the role.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop hiding behind some false concern for being organic. This show has never been "organic" in the way people like Vaibow want it to be. There is nothing organic about how, for example, they cast 13 White guys in a row to play the Doctor. And the show has consistently espoused left-leaning ideas, particularly in the Barry Letts era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"