Doctor Who - Regeneration 9 - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems to be doing better at the dark brooding now. That's what I've noticed. Then again I've only watched The Lodger and Closing Time recently, but I don't remember him being so dark and brooding, even when he was called to be dark and brooding.

Indeed.

I think it is quite intentional. But throughout Series 5, he seemed quite jovial and youthful. Like a child almost. Which makes his relationship with Amy all the more fascinating. He is both like her father and big brother. And as a result he appears not only as the youngest Doctor, but the most headstrong and unpredictably fickle in that way.

doctor-who-eleventh-hour.jpg

In Series 6 he seemed more mature (kind of) and traditionally Doctor-y, but there is a growing arrogance and anger there. One that ultimately results in "A Good Man Goes to War" and the growing weariness of the back half of the season.

550w_cult_doctor_who_s6_trail_01.jpg

Then by Series 7, he is both at his more tired and petulant. Amy and Rory are settling down in the front half and the Doctor is more like their rebellious teenager who they worry about staying out late. Eventually, he loses that anchor he'd been cradling in the Ponds and becomes, ironically, a Scrooge of his own by the Christmas special. Even after the "Impossible Girl" mystery brings him out of his funk, he dresses in darker clothes that naturally makes him look older than before. He also hunches more when he used to stand up straight around Amy and comes off almost as an older gentleman around Clara, even though there is supposed to be a romantic tension and he is only a few years older in real life. Also, Amy's glasses only add to this.

The-Snowmen-Doctor-Who-Christmas-Special-Trailer-19.jpg

It is kind of interesting how Moffat's Doctor is going through his own aging arc of sorts.

On a related note, I haven't yet gone back to older series. I probably will closer to November to get back in the mood for Who's return. However, I have rewatched a handful of my favorite Who episodes from Series 7 before closing the book (so to speak) on it. And I rewatched "The Snowmen" the other day and realized a few things about Clara. While I liked most of the back episodes of Series 7 (particularly "Nightmare in Silver," "Hide" and "In the Name of the Doctor"), the mystery around Clara shrouded how much more charming she was in "Asylums of the Daleks" and "The Snowmen." Honestly, I still somewhat wish Victorian Clara had become his companion and just switched to modern day clothes. Because...

A) Her backstory in "The Snowmen" is much more intriguing with her double life, which includes a Marry Poppins-esque family who is far more likable than her "supporting cast" in the present (can you call it that if the father is only in a cameo one episode?). I actually would have been fine with these kids and that father being recurring characters.

and

B) There is something more enjoyable about her rapport with the Doctor in that episode than in all of them until the final two of the season. And I realized that it is because neither of them is (knowingly) hiding anything from the other. He does not know that she is an "Impossible Girl" and she does not keep acting suspicious of his investigative glances in relation to that mystery. They rather had that witty rapport that the actors have in all the episodes, but also more of an instant kinship and bonding. Because of the secrets involved in the later episodes, it felt like they were always not quite comfortable yet.

That changed in the last two episodes. Firstly, "Nightmare in Silver" is so stand-alone that the "mystery" did not really matter at all (and I hear that Gaiman originally wrote it with "The Snowmen" only in mind). And "In the Name of the Doctor" was her reemerging as that iteration of the character who is instantly trusting to the Doctor as opposed to the one who spent at least 4 of the "Back Seven" being somewhat weary of him. While in "The Snowmen" their relationship was founded on her instantly trusting him and needing his help.

untitled-3_40.jpg

Doctor-Who-The-Snowmen-Clara-and-the-Doctor.jpg

I suppose that is a long-winded way of saying that I hope in Series 8 they can have a good run of episodes where there is no overarching mystery (at least between them) and that it is just The Doctor and his Companion. I actually think Clara is a good character and I much prefer her to Rose or Donna. But now that she remembers everything, perhaps they can run with that and have a companion that is also somewhat worldly like the Doctor and one who is a trusted sidekick, as opposed to a question mark over the series.

Last edited:
He also hunches more when he used to stand up straight around Amy

I think part of that might have to do with Jenna's height. Karen, Matt, and Arthur are all hovering somewhere around 6', but Jenna is only 5'2". Matt has to hunch around her simply so they're both on camera.

Bonnie Langford (Mel) said when Colin Baker was the Doctor, she had to wear heels and he had to hunch over because he's 6' and she's 5'1".

During the 50th I was just wondering if they'll do a companion switch for a little bit and we end up with 10/Clara and 11/Rose for a stretch.

During the 50th I was just wondering if they'll do a companion switch for a little bit and we end up with 10/Clara and 11/Rose for a stretch.

It'll be some overly complicated reason that would bring that about if it does happen...

Although I liked Jamie hanging with 6 so I'd be up for that kind of thing.

11 with Rose would be cool, I'd love it if he didn't find her particularly interesting anymore. :hehe:

10 with Clara wouldn't work as well I think. She isn't a strong enough character. Not yet, at least.

I think it would be fun to have a companion switch, I really eager to see how 11 would act to Rose and vice-versa. :D

Indeed.

I think it is quite intentional. But throughout Series 5, he seemed quite jovial and youthful. Like a child almost. Which makes his relationship with Amy all the more fascinating. He is both like her father and big brother. And as a result he appears not only as the youngest Doctor, but the most headstrong and unpredictably fickle in that way.

doctor-who-eleventh-hour.jpg

In Series 6 he seemed more mature (kind of) and traditionally Doctor-y, but there is a growing arrogance and anger there. One that ultimately results in "A Good Man Goes to War" and the growing weariness of the back half of the season.

550w_cult_doctor_who_s6_trail_01.jpg

Then by Series 7, he is both at his more tired and petulant. Amy and Rory are settling down in the front half and the Doctor is more like their rebellious teenager who they worry about staying out late. Eventually, he loses that anchor he'd been cradling in the Ponds and becomes, ironically, a Scrooge of his own by the Christmas special. Even after the "Impossible Girl" mystery brings him out of his funk, he dresses in darker clothes that naturally makes him look older than before. He also hunches more when he used to stand up straight around Amy and comes off almost as an older gentleman around Clara, even though there is supposed to be a romantic tension and he is only a few years older in real life. Also, Amy's glasses only add to this.

The-Snowmen-Doctor-Who-Christmas-Special-Trailer-19.jpg

It is kind of interesting how Moffat's Doctor is going through his own aging arc of sorts.

That's true, the 11th Doctor is aging. At the start of series 5, he's around 907 years old, and during the first episodes of series 7 he's 1200. His fashion style has also changed, shorter hair and older clothes (funny how he has his wristwatch even though he has a fob/pocket watch now).

But his fashion style is more eccentric, possibly due to the 50th anniversary this year, and the Moffat wanted the show to be a bit more 'old-school' e.g Matt's face in the titles and the new TARDIS console room looking more like the classic versions.

On a related note, I haven't yet gone back to older series. I probably will closer to November to get back in the mood for Who's return. However, I have rewatched a handful of my favorite Who episodes from Series 7 before closing the book (so to speak) on it. And I rewatched "The Snowmen" the other day and realized a few things about Clara. While I liked most of the back episodes of Series 7 (particularly "Nightmare in Silver," "Hide" and "In the Name of the Doctor"), the mystery around Clara shrouded how much more charming she was in "Asylums of the Daleks" and "The Snowmen." Honestly, I still somewhat wish Victorian Clara had become his companion and just switched to modern day clothes. Because...

A) Her backstory in "The Snowmen" is much more intriguing with her double life, which includes a Marry Poppins-esque family who is far more likable than her "supporting cast" in the present (can you call it that if the father is only in a cameo one episode?). I actually would have been fine with these kids and that father being recurring characters.

and

B) There is something more enjoyable about her rapport with the Doctor in that episode than in all of them until the final two of the season. And I realized that it is because neither of them is (knowingly) hiding anything from the other. He does not know that she is an "Impossible Girl" and she does not keep acting suspicious of his investigative glances in relation to that mystery. They rather had that witty rapport that the actors have in all the episodes, but also more of an instant kinship and bonding. Because of the secrets involved in the later episodes, it felt like they were always not quite comfortable yet.

That changed in the last two episodes. Firstly, "Nightmare in Silver" is so stand-alone that the "mystery" did not really matter at all (and I hear that Gaiman originally wrote it with "The Snowmen" only in mind). And "In the Name of the Doctor" was her reemerging as that iteration of the character who is instantly trusting to the Doctor as opposed to the one who spent at least 4 of the "Back Seven" being somewhat weary of him. While in "The Snowmen" their relationship was founded on her instantly trusting him and needing his help.

untitled-3_40.jpg

Doctor-Who-The-Snowmen-Clara-and-the-Doctor.jpg

I suppose that is a long-winded way of saying that I hope in Series 8 they can have a good run of episodes where there is no overarching mystery (at least between them) and that it is just The Doctor and his Companion. I actually think Clara is a good character and I much prefer her to Rose or Donna. But now that she remembers everything, perhaps they can run with that and have a companion that is also somewhat worldly like the Doctor and one who is a trusted sidekick, as opposed to a question mark over the series.

I agree, I think she has turned into all these cool characters after being split up. And now they all came back to her. It would seem at least, she remembers all the lives. I pray it stays that way. It would give Clara a bunch of characteristics at once and knowledge and yeah she'd like a sidekick. I would buy that she is super smart. I'm giddy at the thought again, just like after "The Snowmen".
Think about how both Clara's described the TARDIS. Victorian Clara was original and "smaller on the outside" yet the next episode, modern Clara repeats the tired "bigger on the inside". Is that because all the splintered Claras are just way cooler? Serious question. I think Clara was a boring girl until getting split up and she becomes these fascinating women out of time.

Well well.

Now that Matt's in the US filming Ryan Gosling's first directorial movie he's hanging out with hollywood folk!

HLmdb0x.jpg

He might have to wear a wig or sport a new look in 3 months when filming on the Christmas special starts

He's also been working out more too

Ho6BQPe.jpg

Horse shoe belts are cool

Since one of Clara's other lives was as a Gallifreyan, I'm waiting for the moment she shocks the Doctor with firsthand memories of his home planet.

Horseshoe belts only seem cool until you have to run. lol Even if you aren't running it makes you look like a *****e.

Smith looks like The Kurgan there.

I agree, I think she has turned into all these cool characters after being split up. And now they all came back to her. It would seem at least, she remembers all the lives. I pray it stays that way. It would give Clara a bunch of characteristics at once and knowledge and yeah she'd like a sidekick. I would buy that she is super smart. I'm giddy at the thought again, just like after "The Snowmen".
Think about how both Clara's described the TARDIS. Victorian Clara was original and "smaller on the outside" yet the next episode, modern Clara repeats the tired "bigger on the inside". Is that because all the splintered Claras are just way cooler? Serious question. I think Clara was a boring girl until getting split up and she becomes these fascinating women out of time.

Indeed. I have always liked Clara. It is just she was so much more intriguing in the earlier episodes. And I think it is because the writing had to keep them arm's apart in trusting each other. Now that that SHOULD be out of the way, they can have some real fun by returning to those early quirks and new ones as she will know A LOT MORE than most companions about the universe. I am happy Smith is coming back for Series 8, because I feel like they are just scratching the surface of that. Should be fun.

Yeah Dalek Clara and Victorian Clara felt more fully realized than Modern Clara but like you I'm hoping now that her "mystery" arc is over we'll see some of that wit and snark come back to the forefront.

I'd like to believe she has ALL her memories but Moffat never seemed interested in exploring Rory's time as a Roman and seemingly locked that all away, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up losing all those memories as well.

Last edited:
Well, Rory said in one of the premier episodes to season 6 that he can access those memories if he wants to, but they're usually hidden away. He seemed to be able to turn it on and off (though god knows with how much effort), which would explain why he was wielding a sword like a badass in one episode, but forgot how to fight while rescuing two Amys from a bunch of robotic orderlies.

I think it would be fun to have a companion switch, I really eager to see how 11 would act to Rose and vice-versa. :D

That would be fun. It would be also pretty interesting. Rose was quite needy and attached to 10. It’s a given this is a Series 2 10/Rose combo, so she’d be wondering why the future Doctor isn’t travelling with her anymore. Thus there would be some back and forth.

I’m really hoping we get a full eighth series with 11. By this time Tennant had already left, so a full season more with Smith would be great. He has been loyal to the show, and a good ambassador. He doesn’t care about typecasting, he has said so. Which is common sense when you take on these roles.

Edit: My attempt at 'understanding 11'.

Amy/Rory was 11 at his happiest. He was the raggedy man. The performer. They were the first people his face saw.

Amy/Rory began to question their ‘Doctor life’, thus their travels became more infrequent. As a result, 11 was on his own more often. But when he returned, the jovialness did too.

It was a gradual thing. And then Amy and Rory were taken away for good. Darkness hit 11 and he was travelling alone, mourning.

He bumped into Clara, who first and foremost piqued his curiosity, and got him out of his funk. He wanted to know more. Because of this, Clara, at least initially, was an accessory to him and not necessarily a ‘companion’.

He travels with Clara, still intrigued, but also growing fondness. But deep down it’s not the same. But he moves on. The eccentricity still comes out, but he’s now carrying angst he picked up along the way.

That’s where we are now.

Last edited:
With modern day Clara he was wondering what she was. Was she a trick to get at him? That possibility was always lurking in mind as evidenced in JTTCOTT.

Now 11 knows Clara's true nature I figure he'll be far more open & comfortable around her, and the writers, no longer hampered by her mystery, can do a lot more with her.

I think she was saying she doesn't know who she is as in which version of herself out of the million lives she lived or whatever.

Let's go back one step further. What about her parents? Are they the same in the million lives she's lived?

We saw her Victorian parents, were they the same actors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"