Doctor Who - Regeneration 9 - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

It has been a while since I watched RTD-era Who (I've been binging on Classic Who since Christmas, with the occasional Moffat-era episode interruption on Sunday.)

I'm probably going to sit down and watch the Third Doctor's era this summer, he's the only Doctor that I really have not watched much of.

3 is my joint favourite, with 4. That's the golden era of Who, in my opinion.

Can someone please remind what date the 50th Special is airing?

November 23rd, according to the end of the last one.

[YT]e1lAHEaOg6w[/YT]

I liked that Pertwee was afraid to lay a kung fu chop on someone if they stepped to him ;)

He also made the polarity of the neutron flow his b**h.

MY golden age trinity of Doctors will always be Three, Four and Five...

my contemporary trinity so far is Nine, Ten and Eleven...

those above are all my faves out of the entire run of Doctors...

If Eccleston had more time, I'd say 9, 10 and 11 could have rivalled 3, 4 & 5.

Yeah its moreso the TARDIS being stuck on Earth, knowing martial arts and working for UNIT seem so UnDoctorly; but I say that not having seen practically any of it.

Which I intend to begin correcting. :cool:

Despite what New Who would have you believe, UNIT was run by some pretty reasonable people back in the 70's (or 80's, whatever). The Brigadier had the patience of a saint to put up with the 3rd Doctor's diva fits.

But they still have... guns!

How can the Doctor even stomach looking at them?!

Yeah its moreso the TARDIS being stuck on Earth, knowing martial arts and working for UNIT seem so UnDoctorly; but I say that not having seen practically any of it.

Which I intend to begin correcting. :cool:

I wish the TARDIS would get stuck on earth in the 11th era.

Honestly, something that the 11th/Moffat era doesn't have that the 9/10/RTD era did is that the Doctor was on (present day) earth ALOT more in that era.

With the exception of the first season finale, all of the RTD era finales took place on mostly, or completely on earth.

I'm not saying earth needs to be a setting for most of a season, its just that it played a bigger role as a setting.

Unlike in the RTD era where alot of the big stories played out there, Earth in the Moffat era is just where the companions are from.

That's pretty much it. And even though the Doctor talks about how earth is protected, we RARELY see him there.

Though, RTD isn't without his faults in that regard. *cough*Children of the Earth*cough*

Last edited:
I remember back in 2005 and 2006 when all anybody did was complain about how the new series never went to any alien planets. The entire first season/series took place either on Earth or a space station orbiting Earth. The second season/series gave us Satan's prison planet, a planet that was made to resemble Earth, and then a lot of Earth.

I agree- there was far too much mundane, Earth-locked soap opera during the RTD era. Whole episodes looked like Eastenders rather than a sci fi show. What the Pertwee era did well was to have adventures on Earth that avoided this mundaness by showing us cool things, like the deep sea exploration in The Sea Devils or an underground empire in The Silurians.

I think the balance is currently about right. One thing I would like to see more of is adventures based around history.

I think the best thing you can do with an Earth setting is a historical. You have the BBC who are famous for their period dramas, so you know, use that.

I like when they go to different countries for real to film.

I don't mind episodes set now if its not in England or more specifically London.

How about more episodes in contemporary British cities like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester for a change.

Instead of just filming episodes in Croatia or Spain and having them double for Venice or the old west why not set a modern day episode in those countries. Its not like it will cost them more money.

They filmed in the US a couple of times lately, which was fun. I wouldn't mind a little more modern day globetrotting. Let's see an episode actually set in Spain instead of just filming there to double as the Old West. Maybe film an episode in New Zealand so Peter Jackson can do that directing-an-episode-for-free thing he's mentioned.

City of Death showed how great a 'city break' adventure can be. I would opt for Istanbul, because it is generally awesome.

Why not even stay closer to home and go to Ireland?
He's been to England, Scotland and even had a Welsh period, but in 50 years I don't think The Doctor's even mentioned the place...

It's even weirder considering how much Alien mileage you could get out of the country's myths and legends...

It's also a very cheap place to film. I suppose the only mark against it is that, in terms of scenery, Ireland is quite similar to the UK. There would probably have to be a requirement for an episode to be specifically Irish in order to justify it. A historical episode would seem most likely, but a lot of Irish history is deeply contentious to an audience including the whole British Isles. You would be bound to upset someone.

That's true, But I was thinking more along the lines of a dumb-but-enjoyable story about a Banshee or something that turns out to be a Blahblah from the planet Fibble-dee foo. :hehe:

I mean, you could say the same about Scotland but we still got that Werewolf from Space story a few years ago...

Doctor Who is based in Cardiff it wouldn't be hard to get a boat over to film in Ireland. BBC's Ripper Street is filmed in Ireland.

I think a episode of the Doctor in a Irish town haunted by a banshee or meets Irish 'Conan' Slaine would be cool

Last edited:
Just have the Doctor get drunk in a pub for a whole episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"