Doctor Who - Regeneration 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it?

A older version of the Doctor (The Eleventh Doctor) encountered The Great Intelligence before his younger self (The Second Doctor) did later in the time stream.

Also, the actions of the Eleventh Doctor leads to how the Great Intelligence appears when it encounters the Second Doctor, again, later in the time stream.

Isn't that one of the incomplete ones? How are those even watchable? I've seen every 2nd Doctor serial where all the episodes are in tact, but the only incomplete serial I've seen was The Invasion because the missing episodes were replaced with animation.

Yeah I never saw that second Doctor episode as well so all of the Great Intelligence stuff was incomprehensible to me.

Isn't that one of the incomplete ones? How are those even watchable? I've seen every 2nd Doctor serial where all the episodes are in tact, but the only incomplete serial I've seen was The Invasion because the missing episodes were replaced with animation.

It's easily available on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktrgTKSoXs

A mix of

-Tape recording of the audio from fans during it's broadcasts

- telesnaps, screen captures, publicity photos, video clips, very simple animation, and the original audio track.

What's been everyone's faveourite Doctor? For me, it's a tie between the 9th and 10th.

9th, 11th, 2nd, 7th, 8th, 4th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 5th, 10th in that order.

I like the 4th too. I just felt that would be to obvious to include. :o

Personally I've never fully understood the love that the 9th Doctor gets in here.
He was okay (for the one season) but was he really THAT good?
If 11 was the Doctor for only one season would you hold him higher regard than what you do for him now? You know, the old less is more scenario.

IMO, 9 was the "least" Doctory of them all.
Costume, accent, personality.

I think it helps that 9 had a complete arc that was well planned out from start (war beatten with a death wish) to a very nice end (found something worth living for again).

With 10 they kinda just faltered around a lot and threw things at you.

Only seen the new Who. 10th is my favorite, with 9th not far behind. Haven't really warm up to 11th, he has his moments tho.

Wow, harsh Pertwee and Davison...

I think Davison's era had some really good stories ("Kinda" probably being my favorite) and he has the best regeneration by a mile, but I've always seen him as a little dull compared to the other Doctors. He comes off as a very Default Doctor. His most stand-out trait is that he's a big cricket fan. That doesn't draw me in like the sillier, more cryptic, nihilistic, or romantic Doctors.

I really like Pertwee, but I just happen to like everyone I listed before him more. Yes, even Colin. He got a major boost from the audios, along with McGann.

Personally I've never fully understood the love that the 9th Doctor gets in here.
If 11 was the Doctor for only one season would you hold him higher regard than what you do for him now? You know, the old less is more scenario.

Well, for me it's--

I think it helps that 9 had a complete arc that was well planned out from start (war beatten with a death wish) to a very nice end (found something worth living for again).

--basically what Valumart said. Eccleston's Doctor had a great character arc. He was a broken man, but there were glimpses of a more jovial man tucked away inside. Plus he was my first Doctor, and I went in there without any expectations on what the Doctor should be like; he won me over as a tragic hero in a television series that was completely new to me.

With 10 they kinda just faltered around a lot and threw things at you.

Even worse, he had a character arc that was about him becoming a hypocritical, vengeful madman with a god complex. He punished others for doing things he himself would've done (see: chewing out his own clone for killing the Daleks. You can't blame the Donna side of him for that, because Donna was right there and the thought never crossed her mind), and his stance against weapons bordered on the ridiculous (stopping Jack from firing at a pack of man-eating predators, yelling at a UNIT colonel who had been nothing but polite til that point). And in the end, when it was time to die, he guilt tripped Wilfred before finally saving his life. The bastard.

Last edited:
I think Davison's era had some really good stories ("Kinda" probably being my favorite) and he has the best regeneration by a mile, but I've always seen him as a little dull compared to the other Doctors. He comes off as a very Default Doctor. His most stand-out trait is that he's a big cricket fan. That doesn't draw me in like the sillier, more cryptic, nihilistic, or romantic Doctors.

I really like Pertwee, but I just happen to like everyone I listed before him more. Yes, even Colin. He got a major boost from the audios, along with McGann.

See I like the fact he's sort of the more human and downtrodden Doctor. It's just litte things he copies from other Doctors aswell, but just little bits and only some times. I love the bit in The Visitation where he places out some stuff, looks at it and says something like "I really should put together a proper survival pack one of these days". And when he leaves in The Five Doctors and runs away in the TARDIS. you can totally picture a younger Hartnell doing it the same way.

I just really like Davison I think. He's a very likable actor and he plays the perfect Doctor that's always doomed to failure because he's trying too hard to save one person.

11th is my doctor.

As far as the classic era goes, it's a close call between 2nd and 7th.

My least favorite is actually 3rd. No fault on Pertwee's part. 3rd was a pimp and a badass, and I give him credit for being unique, but to me he's less like the Doctor and more like an alt. universe James Bond.

Totally agree, I found him dull as well.

But man was his regeneration story good.

Even worse, he had a character arc that was about him becoming a hypocritical, vengeful madman with a god complex. He punished others for doing things he himself would've done (see: chewing out his own clone for killing the Daleks. You can't blame the Donna side of him for that, because Donna was right there and the thought never crossed her mind), and his stance against weapons bordered on the ridiculous (stopping Jack from firing at a pack of man-eating predators, yelling at a UNIT colonel who had been nothing but polite til that point). And in the end, when it was time to die, he guilt tripped Wilfred before finally saving his life. The bastard.

Again totally agreed.

I think the most symptomatic 10 moment was when he threatens to execute the guy who killed his daughter/clone and then proclaims "HE NEVER WOULD" (HAH!) before announcing that the society should build itself to his example.

Here's something not many people bring up: The Master getting elected Prime Minister was the Doctor's fault.

The Doctor knows you can't change history, but he still removed Harriett Jones from office and prevented Britain's Golden Age. Removing Harriett meant the UK needed to hold elections to select a new Prime Minister. This finally happened within the 18-month gap the Master used to fake a human identity and hypnotize the world into loving him.

My least favorite is actually 3rd. No fault on Pertwee's part. 3rd was a pimp and a badass, and I give him credit for being unique, but to me he's less like the Doctor and more like an alt. universe James Bond.

Ah yes from retrospective specials on the 3rd doctor I got to see the "who mobile" and Betsy

I would like to see Smith dusty off Betsy

9 to me seemed like a dukee and so did Eccleston from reports. It didn't help when the opening episode had him defeating the bad guy made of plastic with a vial of anti-plastic he had in his coat. Smith and Moffat have really upped the bar imo.

Thinking back, this was a pretty tragic year for male nurse companions. First the TV series loses Rory, then the 7th Doctor audios write out Hex.

I think 9 works really well for what he was supposed to be, but I don't think he would have ever worked as a long-term Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"