Days of Future Past DoFP Rogue cut - Part 1

I thought there was a separate thread about this already, but I couldn't find it anywhere. :huh:

Anyway article I read yesterday said how this cut will not have a copy of the theatrical version included, it will be solely it's only thing with it's own extras.

So if anybody's worried about double dipping, it's not really double dipping in this case.:word:

Got mine on Wednesday at the Comic Con and watched it Wednesday night. It was awesome.

I really enjoyed the temple scenes with the other Xmen adding dialog and interacting.

I also liked the escape scene.

Got mine. Have to wait for my sis to get home from work to watch it. But I'm chomping at the bit.

Oh My God I finally saw it!!!

But I'm reviewing the Rescue Scene first...
hmmmm I didn't think it was that great but I really think if it was longer (it was just under 6mins/30secs) it would have great... the editing was kinda sloppy. Like... Professor X guiding Magneto/Iceman to the tunnels wasn't really needed and I felt like they got to the Cerebro pretty fast... then the dialogue of Magneto when he opened the Cerebro wasn't needed, it was cheesey... then the three people that was experimenting Rogue just ran away... Magneto should have thrown them away, not get away like that lol. I also feel like there should have been something dramatic when Rogue's face was revealed to the screen... like a slow motion similar to when we first saw Storm, Wolverine and Magneto earlier in the film. But nope.

The Sentinels chasing them was kinda intense and Iceman's death was more brutal in this however... it all happened so fast. Then Prof X's reaction to Iceman's death... ah lol just no, a quick look to the side would have been better. Then the interaction between Rogue and Professor X.... it could have been so much better.... I feel like her entrance in the jet should have been more dramatic especially Iceman was killed.... instead we got....

Rogue: Professor X
Professor X: Smal nod, looks away
Rogue: Bobby...
Professor X: I know...

There was no drama at all.

Then the Sentinel jumping infront of the jet... it should have been longer. It was intense at first but it ended so quickly. I feel like someone like Storm or maybe Bishop should have been there to attack the Sentinel, that would been more intense and better... instead Prof X's just used the jet's controls to get rid of the Sentinel

It was a cool scene but too short, that should have been 4 minutes longer with slower pacing.

hmmmm I didn't think it was that great but I really think if it was longer (it was just under 6mins/30secs) it would have great... the editing was kinda sloppy. Like... Professor X guiding Magneto/Iceman to the tunnels wasn't really needed and I felt like they got to the Cerebro pretty fast... then the dialogue of Magneto when he opened the Cerebro wasn't needed, it was cheesey... then the three people that was experimenting Rogue just ran away... Magneto should have thrown them away, not get away like that lol. I also feel like there should have been something dramatic when Rogue's face was revealed to the screen... like a slow motion similar to when we first saw Storm, Wolverine and Magneto earlier in the film. But nope.

The Sentinels chasing them was kinda intense and Iceman's death was more brutal in this however... it all happened so fast. Then Prof X's reaction to Iceman's death... ah lol just no, a quick look to the side would have been better. Then the interaction between Rogue and Professor X.... it could have been so much better.... I feel like her entrance in the jet should have been more dramatic especially Iceman was killed.... instead we got....

Then the Sentinel jumping infront of the jet... it should have been longer. It was intense at first but it ended so quickly. I feel like someone like Storm or maybe Bishop should have been there to attack the Sentinel, that would been more intense and better... instead Prof X's just used the jet's controls to get rid of the Sentinel

It was a cool scene but too short, that should have been 4 minutes longer with slower pacing.

I agree with most of that. I think most of the weird and clunky dialogue and interactions are down to the script by Kinberg. Some things just don't feel 'natural' and I think it's one of his faults, to be honest.

I will see this for myself tomorrow. Still looking forward to it.

Agree with all of this.

Ugh I can't stop watching The Rogue Cut.

Rogue's fleeting presence could've been so much more, but I am just happy that we finally get to see her now. I keep going back to her scenes especially during her close ups. It reminds me of how Ellen Page did a wonderful job in the theatrical cut.

A part of me is still sad that the entire world did not get to see this on the big screen. Oh well. Okay, sorry for being a fanboy lol

Anyone not using their Digital HD code for this? I'd be happy to take it off your hands if anyone's interested. PM me...

Even though I like The Rogue Cut, I was hoping for Storm to get more scenes.

Even though I like The Rogue Cut, I was hoping for Storm to get more scenes.
I thought her monologue was just enough extra and added so much more weight to her death. Really can't believe they scrapped it. It was such a Storm thing to say too. One of the best lines they've written for her. Being the mother and leader. I just don't get why that was scrapped.

It's a shame that other than a small percentage of people no one else will actually see the rogue cut.

I agree with most of that. I think most of the weird and clunky dialogue and interactions are down to the script by Kinberg. Some things just don't feel 'natural' and I think it's one of his faults, to be honest.

It would have been an easy fix if they fixed it when they reshoot things....

anyway I finally saw all the new scenes.

THINGS THAT I WOULD NOT INCLUDE IN THE FINAL CUT
-Bishop: We need to vote, Professor X: They just did
-Shadowcat saving Magneto - I loled when I first saw that
-All of the new scenes in the past like, the girl in the car, I'm a Princess, Trask inside the prison, interaction between Beast/Wolverine, Mystique/Beast, Mystique destroying the Cerebro... all those scenes weren't needed

THINGS THAT I WOULD HAVE KEPT
-The dialogues from the new mutants/Storm.... like seriously.... those extra moments were just fine... it actually made me care more about them
-I love the scene when Bobby brought up Rogue for the first time... they explained things like Rogue was being experimented on so the Sentinels could copy their powers and that Prof X was tracking her for years but he couldn't sense her and Magneto asking Bobby why they didn't rescue her. Love it! <333 And Shadowcat telling Iceman to be safe <333
-Rescue Rogue scene of course
-Shadowcat and Iceman as a couple.... what I love about this cut is (even with Mystique/Beast)... the film felt complete and things really came full circle. They continued the Shadowcat/Iceman/Rogue story-arc and with this one, its shorter yet they executed it better. Like I actually lliked that Kitty wasn't so lovey dovey with Iceman like after they kissed... you know it looked like she wasn't so into him... but then when Rogue said that Bobby was killed.... she was really hurt and I just love her display of emotion! :ilv:
-"Hello Logan"... Rogue was a bit cold to Shadowcat but then her delivery of Hello Logan was just :ilv: I love that she got reunited with Logan even if Logan wasn't really there
-I love the "Sentinel hand" still activating... it makes complete sense why the Sentinels army found their hideout
-I love when the Sentinel smashed the temple's wall... I would have preferred a better acting from Anna Paquin during that scene but I love that Rogue was in that scene.

THINGS I WOULD HAVE ADDED
-Slower pacing and better execution for the Rescue Rogue as I already stated, better interaction with Rogue/Professor X at the jet and Sentinel attacking the X-Jet should have been longer and there should have a mutant there attacking it... Storm or Bishop I guess.
-Someone should have also explained things to Rogue about the time-travel mission... I don't know if they got lazy about repeating things... but when Rogue entered the temple... she already knew what she was going to do and I felt like I missed a scene.
-I also think someone should have taken care of Shadowcat like Storm or Colossus... I imagine she was bleeding there alone when Bobby left lol...... then when the X-Jet comes back... it leads to the scene where we see Storm with Bishop watching the X-Jet arriving. Like Storm goes out of the temple and cut to the scene of her/Bishop watching the X-Jet.

Last edited:
So I'm still on the fence on buying this. Those who have seen it, would you say that it's different enough to merit a purchase?

I just don't wanna buy it and realize I basically bought the same movie twice.

Buy it if you want to see the deleted scenes attached to the film... and to watch the featurettes.

Got it, watching it now. Just taking a smoke break. Very promising, a few little nitpicks have already been addressed.

The Rogue Cut is surprisingly cheap here in the nordics too, about 10 euros. Paid almost 20 for the "normal" version last year.

I am not all that impressed with the rogue/iceman and kitty triangle since the time and development just wasn't there so what you get is iceman and kitty are a couple and a few little moments between them to show they care about each other, then he saves rogue who gets to the mansion and tells kitty whose way more distraught the rogue is.... then at the end in the new timeline iceman is with rogue again

Even as a continuation to X3 its pretty lost with the lack of continuity

The theatrical cut probably works better for the rogue and iceman relationship

Mine came early for some reason, but I hadn't had the chance to look at it till last night.

I skimmed through briefly and it looked like they had retouched some of the visual effects. I heard Bryan say on the Yahoo interview that they have updated some of the visual effects that they rushed to finish for the theatrical release.. Not sure if he just meant for the Rogue scenes or moments throughout the film...

But I'll give it a proper run tonight..

Why oh why they didn't originally keep the temple opening of the Rogue Cut in the theatrical cut boggles me, flowed much better!

Last edited:
Alright, watched it.

I might prefer the longer version, but I fully understand why Rogue's scene was cut. The last 40 minutes seemed to be future-past-future-past-future-past cuts, and it does get a little tedious when it's presented that way for so long. It also seemed like some of the effects in Rogue's rescue scene were of poorer quality, but nothing outright bad.

It was a cool little scene, but I agree with some people above, that the scene in question should've been a little longer to have more weight. What I did like was the fact that they didn't make Bobby's fate too forcibly dramatic - they were in a hurry and they had already seen thousands of casualties. Kitty portrayed the loss with her little moment after that, and it works.

About Kitty, Ellen Page gets a little more to do with her character here. It's a shame these little bits didn't make it to the final version, because they were really good - she was actually one of the best actors in this film for me now.

A couple of little annoyances were...well, if not addressed, then at least some things were delivered and presented better to not make some nitpicky stuff seem as bad as before.

I really hoped this cut would've handled the JFK conversation better, but nope. On top of that, Wolverine's added line in the Maximoff house ("I'm the Wolverine") was just horrible.

There were many little bits of dialogue added to the movie for almost every character, and they almost always worked. I liked the Temple at the beginning, instead of just exposition they actually have a little back and forth.

I had a few audio glitches with my blu-ray. Will try to update my player and see if that does anything. One glitch during the Rogue escape scene, and one at the beginning of White House scene.

(edit: did you notice Wolverine's hotel room fight scene to be a little longer? I think I noticed a few snippets I didn't remember. Also some very quick additional touches when the Sentinels fight mutants at the beginning seemed to be present)

Last edited:
How are the special features? They worth it?

Watching Rogue Cut with Singer+Ottman commentary track now. After that, I'll watch the original cut with Singer+Kinberg commentary track. If you're interested in commentaries at all, I can give you my thoughts about them. I don't think I'll care for any else extras.

Overall, I like the Rogue Cut better.

Watched/listened the Singer+Ottman commentary of the Rogue Cut. I would recommend it for even those who don't normally like commentaries, for one reason:

John Ottman. Not only can he describe things well and get Singer going a little better, but I learned that Ottman gets credit for much on this movie. It's not just "simple" editing+music, he's very invested in almost everything. I honestly didn't know how deep his involvement was until I listened to the commentary. So many little important things, and many of them were added almost when it was too late.

Hats off to you, John!

I just watched the concept art and man cameo galore! 1 hell of a final battle. Storm fans would've loved to see what they had planned if Halle wasnt pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"