Days of Future Past DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angamb

Avenger
Reaction score
With the inevitable talk and comparisions everyday between Fox's next big superhero movie and Marvel Studios and Sony, I thought we could have its own thread, so fans and haters alike can discuss about all of them on here with more freedom :woot:

If you need a starting point, lets post our WW boxoffice bets for next year.

:oldrazz:

Top 4 CBMs of 2014:

ASM2 - 800-900 m
DOFP - 700-800 m
Cap 2 - 500-600 m

GotG - 450-550 m

Marvel CBMs in 2014:

1) ASM2 - $700m
I see some "Spidey-fatigue" here, resulting in a drop off at the box office.

2) DOFP - $600m
I originally had the next three as "pick-em", but FOX is getting off to a fast start.

3) CA:TWS - $550m
A substantial box office boost for "Avengers 1.5", but limited internationally.

4) GOTG - $500m
A nice start, with the franchise having the potential to blow up with the sequel.

5) Big Hero 6 - $400m
Disney animation, Marvel, appeal to Asian markets - not "Wreck it Ralph", but solid.

Marvel CBMs in 2014:

1) ASM2 - $700m
I see some "Spidey-fatigue" here, resulting in a drop off at the box office.

2) DOFP - $600m
I originally had the next three as "pick-em", but FOX is getting off to a fast start.

3) CA:TWS - $550m
A substantial box office boost for "Avengers 1.5", but limited internationally.

4) GOTG - $500m
A nice start, with the franchise having the potential to blow up with the sequel.

5) Big Hero 6 - $400m
Disney animation, Marvel, appeal to Asian markets - not "Wreck it Ralph", but solid.

I mostly agree with this but there's no way ASM2 is gonna make less than the first one. With the Jamie Foxx factor not to mention this looks like a MUCH better film than the first one... I say 800-825 mill for ASM2.

let_the_games_begin__by_00747-d5g5fpo.jpg

I agree AS2 will do more than the first. And I would even bet it will cross the 1 billion mark. we'll see it

I mostly agree with this but there's no way ASM2 is gonna make less than the first one. With the Jamie Foxx factor not to mention this looks like a MUCH better film than the first one... I say 800-825 mill for ASM2.

Looking at Box Office Mojo, I was surprised to see that there was about a 5% worldwide box office drop with the Raimi sequel. I'm not certain Foxx is that big of a box office draw, and I think Spidey works best when battling stronger, faster opponents rather than energy-projection types. I was underwhelmed by the leaked battle against Electro, though I am sure the visuals will be much improved in the final version.

Most importantly, this is Spidey's 5th big screen (soon to be followed by 6 and 7) in a relatively short time frame. I think a certain % of comicbook movie fans will have a "been there, done that" response to Garfield and Webb's latest - I know I will.

TASM2: $800m
I think it will gross more domestically than the first film and get around $500m overseas again which will push it to $800m.

DOFP: $600-700M
X-Men has never been as big a draw to the box office as Spidey so I'm not sure where it could fall, but I'm pretty confident it will be between those two numbers. It should get $300m domestically if not more and I think it could capture another $300-350m overseas. If the Wolverine can open that well overseas this movie will do it one even better. If the movie is bad and gets bad WOM though, I don't see it grossing much more than $450m.

Cap 2: $575-600m
The movie, if executed well, should be very relevant to America today and should really catch on here. I'm going with $280m as a base. The Avengers pedigree is really going to help the film overseas this time as well, where it already made $200m in the first film. $300m overseas.

GOTG: $500-600m
This one is a wild card but the stage is pretty much set for it to catch fire if all the card fall in the right place. The Marvel branding post-Avengers, Disney marketing and hype machine, the intrigue of a completely new Marvel property and the potential to catch audiences with something new and fresh. And not having a lot of big competition for the entirety of August. If the movie is as funny and unique as the trailers make it out to be, and as I know the source material to be, then the movie could definitely become the next Iron Man so to speak. $250-300m domestically $300-350m overseas.

Electro is not a well-known villain, his design is silly, Jamie Foxx is not guaranteed box-office (White House Down says Hello) and this looks like more of the same. Only plus on the sequel's side is the release date.

Wouldn't bank on a big increase, kiddos.

There's also the fact it's not a reboot. The fact that the movie still grossed $750m despite pretty much the entire world working against it speaks pretty highly of Spidey's draw at the box office. $800m is definitely the base for it. It will gross $300m over here by virtue of it not being a reboot and having a better release date alone. Forget if it's critically acclaimed.

Electro is not a well-known villain, his design is silly, Jamie Foxx is not guaranteed box-office (White House Down says Hello) and this looks like more of the same. Only plus on the sequel's side is the release date.

Wouldn't bank on a big increase, kiddos.

ASM2 will get an extra 40-60 m from the superior global release date alone. The first movie opened the same day as both Ted and Ice Age in many markets.

Add another 20-40 m for the eye candy from Electro/Rhino. Overseas markets love eye candy.

I think TASM2 will make at the very least $800m

Its got Rhino and Electro, an impressive cast and looks to be bigger scale with the action

I have no worries about TASM2 doing well

Last edited:
Some are forgetting sequels don't always outgross original.Iron man 3 and the
Dark knight are expections not the rule.

Star Trek Into Darkness did less domesticly than original.Domesticly the dark Knight rises did less than Dark Knight.Even Spider-man 2 did less than Spider-man.

Cap didn't do 200 Million domesticlly It did 177 Million.No MS film so far that didn't star Robert DOwney JR has hit 200 Million domesticly.Also back In 2011
foreign audences prefer first class to Cap.

Cap might be best MS film since the avengers but that doesn't mean It's Box office will be close to it or iron man 3.Every studio at some point has a disappointment or a underperformer.Technical they already did with Incredible Hulk.

Spider-man will make money without a doudt but I wouldn't be so sure It hits 300 Million domesticly.Many thought the man of steel would easily hit 300 Million and almost out of theatres It has hit 286 Million.

As long as DOFP hits 500 Million worldwide I will be happy.Fox would have broken even on it's budget.Anything higher would be great.I am not sure it can hit 300 Million domesticly.It's window may be 290 or 291 Million.What X2 and last stand got with adjusting for inflation.While I will undoudtable be calling DOFP best comic book film of 2014 that doesn't mean GA will agree.

Guardians of the galaxy will depend on quality of film.With how obscure the title Is overhype can hurt It.Star wars was sucess originally because of how people liked it.

this is my first bet:

Cap. A: Winter Soldier: 500-600
Amazing Spiderman 2: 900-1-1 Billion
X-Men: DOFP: 850-1Billion
Guardians: 400-450

Last edited:
If I had to guess what one will perform below expectations, I'd wager Cap 2. But far from a flop.

Star Trek wasn't coming off of Avengers. And no one has said Cap's box office will come close to Avengers or Iron Man.

The empire strikes back did less than Star Wars.And most call It best film In series.

Are you calling the avengers bigger than Star Wars?

The empire strikes back did less than Star Wars.And most call It best film In series.

Star Wars was a cultural phenomenon of the likes we've never seen since, so it's no surprise ESB grossed less. The first Spider-Man is similar, though not in as big a way. The second Trek film suffered from a foolishly long gap in between the films.

back to X-Men, on our poll none has voted 1 billion, but Im gonna be the first one to bet on that.

So if next year, it happens, I could say "I TOLD U" :funny:

Everything is possible with this movie, so... thats my bet. 1 billion or pretty close

Are you ****ing serious? :doh:

You're not even understanding what I'm saying. Please stop.

Nobody cares about Electro.

I guarantee a fairly large percentage of the general audience didn't know who Dr. Octopus was either and you can't say "nobody" considering you don't know everyone. That's like when a fan/fanboy makes a statement like that and backs it up with "well, I've asked a number of my friends and family members what they think and...". If anyone wants to bring up that a lot of the general audience might have known about Doc Ock before the movie was released from catching some of the episodes of the numerous Spider-Man shows over the years, well then they've also most likely seen Electro in an episode or two and know who he is.

Don't get me wrong FilmNerd, I agree that it's highly doubtful the sequel will make more than the previous film, hell I have a feeling it won't cross the billion mark, but I don't think it will have to do with Jamie Fox one way or another. He wasn't the reason(or sole reason at least)that White House Down didn't do that great. Yeah, he's not a big box office draw, but at the same time he's not box office poison either.

As for the new X-men film. Looking at the past films and how much(or little depending how you look at it)money they made at the BO, especially First Class and now The Wolverine, I don't expect huge numbers for DoFP, even with them going "epic" combining both the old and new casts.

Last edited:
It's always silly when people use the "no one cares or knows" argument. No one cares about these films until they see them. And afterwards there's revisionist history where apparently everyone has always been a fan.

Last I checked Spider-Man was an incredibly popular movie that broke the opening weekend and was the zeitgeist film of its year. Didn't matter who the villain in the sequel was. It was going to break bank. It did.

The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't exactly as well received. Very much a middle-of-the-road reaction. Some loved it. Some hated it. Most thought it was OK and moved on. Quite different circumstances this time.

If Days of future past can get 250 million domesticly and 250 Million overseas
that Is success.If it can go around 290 or 291 Million about what the adjusted for inflation numbers of X2 and last stand that's even better.It won't go 300
Million domesticly.I am pessimestic on GA that will flock to make piece of crap
like Michael bay's transformers films Into blockbusters.

With spider-man you have people who might remember electro from comics from 1960's or 1970's or 1980's they grew up with or the one episode of 1990's
Spider-man animated show which was top show on saturday mornings but
the electro jamie Fox Is playing Is electro In name only to them.

Dr Octopus was a whole different story.If people grow up with comics or watched the 1990's animated show when they were younger they could
recognize that character In SPider-man 2.

The amazing Spider-man 2 and Captain America:The winter soldier are both going to make money.The question Is just how much.

Thor:The adrk world may give us an idea if Avengers continues to help MS films and If it can help non-Robert Downey JR Starring films.But remember catching fire opens In november and in december second hobbit comes out.

And hopefully dawn of the planet of the apes doesn't get lost In July among summer films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"