Iron Man 2 Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really favour recasts and this is really disappointing.

Oh well, I'm just hoping he really is good in the role.

Well, everyone hated Holmes. That's a fact (sort of, :oldrazz:)

i didnt find anything wrong with holmes, more people hated the made up character she portrayed then actually holmes herself. The difference was with maggie, we knew we were still getting Rachel.. and we'd rather have Maggie then Holmes, but for continuity sake, it was a bit annoying, at least for me.

I'm not too worried about this. There are far more important things that will still remain awesome in the sequel. Like, for instance, the fact that it's an IRON MAN movie. It does seem strange that Howard didn't come through... I thought all 3 of the leads were signed for the second movie? :confused:

I'm no great fan of Howard, but I think they should have agreed to some acceptable conclusion. Everybody wants to get more dough...but come on Terrence...YOU weren't the star of the film, and if he was smart, he would have come to an acceptable deal for IM2, gotten War Machine integrated, then played a little hard ball...while Marvel is getting too cocky too fast...so did Howard, and the fans paid!

I'm don't know who to be more pissed at; Marvel for being greedy or Howard for the same reason. I dunno, Howard saw how much the first Iron Man made. I can see why he would want more money.

I am excited they casted Cheadle though. He's a great actor and I think he'll do a good job. And once we start watching the movie I think we'll forget about the recast.

I love Don Cheadle, but this bums me out a bit because I really loved Howard for Rhodey.

bummer

Like many people on here. I like Cheadle, but WHAT THE FUNKIN WAGNELS!.

I'd say we're 70% against recast, 28% for, and 2% undecided (that'd be me :woot:)

I mean its not even a really bad recast (though I don't think Don looks like Rhodes) It still is like wtf

I'd say we're 70% against recast, 28% for, and 2% undecided (that'd be me :woot:)

I'm against a recast, but I'm glad as heck it's Cheadle. Problem is...we don't know the details, and I'm sure nobody is going to say anything. Here's the thing of it...Howard was SUPPOSE to be signed...so maybe we wanted a bigger check...bigger than a supporting role...since as War Machine...it would be a pseudo starting role. You've gotta figure Howard got paid millions for the role...so I'm not going to blast Marvel...unless somebody wants to explain how talks failed. Cheadle is no slouch, so it's not like he's desperate for the role, so Marvel has to be paying him well.

Time for my 2cents.
Howard was good, I enjoyed his drunken scene on the jet... But I thought he wasn't very tough either. Maybe that was just time biding on their part?
I love Don Cheadle (british accent in the Ocean's flicks aside) and think this could be a good thing.
But the precedent it is setting is worrying, I really hope this situation just COULD NOT be worked out. At all. Last resort.
How dumb a move for howard to make though? More money? Kids are going to be dressing up as him next year! War Machine is going to be really popular, this would be the way to EARN the big bucks, Howard.

Anyway, as long as Downey Jr is in and Favs directs I'm happy.

Nx

..from /film:

Marvel Studios has hired Don Cheadle to replace Terrence Howard in the upcoming Iron Man sequel. Cheadle will play Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark’s best friend and future War Machine. Director Jon Favreau has made numerous hints that War Machine may play a part in the second film. The Hollywood Reporter’s sources claim it was a conflict due to financial differences. Earlier this year it was widely speculated that Marvel was trying to low ball Favreau with an offer not much higher than his initial payday for the first film. It is not unusual for salaries to double for a sequel, especially when the first film outperformed to the level that Iron Man had. But from what I understand, Marvel believes the superhero characters themselves are the real stars, and many believe they are being very thrifty in their negotiations for their future projects.

^^check the text in bold

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/13/don-cheadle-replaces-terrance-howard-in-iron-man-2/

^Millions to Howard..?

I can't imagine hime making less than a million for the film. Tobey made like $7-8 million for Spiderman, and he was far more of an unknown then Howard...sure...starring vice supporting, but Howard had to clock about $1-2 million...maybe he wanted $5-6 mil and Marvel was bulking. While not the starring role, he had amajor supporting role, with future character expansion, so I'm sure Marvel wasn't like...we'll pay you less. My point is...we don't know...and it's both Marvel and Howard's responsibility to come to some kinda agreement.

Thing is, to me Rachel's role in TDK never seemed too important compared to the other major supporting characters in the film (such as James Gordon, Alfred, Lucius), so I didn't mind too much about the recast although it was a little bit annoying.

But I think Rhody's role in IM is equivalent to TDK's major characters like Gordon and Alfred (who are Batman's confidantes), being Tony's best friend and someone who he could confide in(other than Pepper that is).

So this news really is a shame, but what's already done is done. so like they say - no use crying over spilt milk, we'll just have to move on.

Thing is, to me Rachel's role in TDK never seemed too important compared to the other major supporting characters in the film (such as James Gordon, Alfred, Lucius), so I didn't mind too much about the recast although it was a little bit annoying.

But I think Rhody's role in IM is equivalent to TDK's major characters like Gordon and Alfred (who are Batman's confidantes), being Tony's best friend and someone who he could confide in(other than Pepper that is).

^Agreed

So this news really is a shame, but what's already done is done. so like they say - no use crying over spilt milk, we'll just have to move on.

But it's fun! :woot: Like the Branagh thing, last week :oldrazz:

Time for my 2cents.
Howard was good, I enjoyed his drunken scene on the jet... But I thought he wasn't very tough either. Maybe that was just time biding on their part?
I love Don Cheadle (british accent in the Ocean's flicks aside) and think this could be a good thing.
But the precedent it is setting is worrying, I really hope this situation just COULD NOT be worked out. At all. Last resort.
How dumb a move for howard to make though? More money? Kids are going to be dressing up as him next year! War Machine is going to be really popular, this would be the way to EARN the big bucks, Howard.

Anyway, as long as Downey Jr is in and Favs directs I'm happy.

Nx

Just thinking about Cheadles terrible Oceans accent gives me chills. Cheadle will always wills friend in Fresh Prince Of Bel Air to me :woot:

Can you imagine Cheadle's sort-of high pitched voice coming from the badass armor that will be War Machine? I'm intrigued.....

Howard had (has) an annoying voice too

I don´t have a big problem with recasting - it´s still a movie, they´re actors playing parts, not the actual characters, okay? - and Don Cheadle is sure a fine actor, even though I didn´t have a problem with Howard.

But I don´t like the idea that Marvel is being cheap with the talent. If you think it was the the huge popularity of Iron Man that made the movie such a smash, you´re kidding yourselves. It was the combination of all the talent that worked in the movie, including Favreay, RDJ, etc. In theory, FF and Hulk are much more popular comics franchises than IM, and their movies never came even close to IM, simply cuz they didn´t have quite the right people to pull them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"