Iron Man 2 Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
very annoyed they recasted and put Don Cheadle of all people, not only does he look completely different, but he looks like he could star as an old man in a retirement home

^Possibly one of the most absurd statements I've ever read on the Hype.

Don Cheadle was great in this. I really liked how, even tough Rhodey believed that the military would make better use of the Iron Man technology, he was still a friend of Tony and only did what he did because he believed it to be the right thing after everything Tony did at the party.

He was also really cool as War Machine. His weapons were awesome and that little scene with Hammer's Ex-Wife was PURE WIN.

It took me a while to warm up to Cheadle in this role, because it's not exactly what I'm used to seeing out of him, but I think he did a good job overall and I would not mind at all if he returned! They did a lot more with his character than I originally anticipated!!

I was originally very, VERY disappointed when Terrance Howard was replaced.

Now, with that said, I think that Don Cheadle was every bit as good as Terrance Howard (except better, because Rhodes had more stuff to do in this film). I have zero complaints about Cheadle's performance! :D

Cheadle in the long run proved me wrong and was 10 times greater than Howard.

I agree I liked Cheadle way better than Howard.

The War Machine armor was a beast, except for the "ex-wife" of course. :doh::hehe:

Howard may have had slightly better chemistry with Downey but after seeing this film I definitely think Cheadle was the better fit for Rhodes of the two. Still though, I don't think either fit that role like a glove the way that Downey fits Stark.

I prefer Cheadle to Howard ("Toh-nee") but he wasnt given much to do in IM2 other than being sad and frustrated at Tony.

I just feel he wasn't given enough to do. He had about two scenes before he was in the War Machine armour. It was all about getting him to that point

It probably wouldn't have irked me as much if it was still Howard because he had established the character in the first. Cheadle didn't establish the character as his own before he donned the armour

I agree, we should have seen more of the inner conflict of Rhodey.

While watching this, I found myself wishing that Favreau had just cast Cheadle for Rhodey in the first place.

The roles were a wash to me up until Rhodey
stole the War Machine armor during Tony's party.
Before that they were about even, but after that Rhodey seemed to be a guy that had some sort of control. I don't think Howard got a chance to do that in the first. Cheadle became more awesome as the movie went on though. Can't wait to see more of him as War Machine.

So coming into this I was whatever about the switch, I liked both of them so I thought it'd be a wash. But when Cheadle gets to that party and sees Tony making an ass out of himself, everything he does afterward I can only see Cheadle doing now. Howard, I'm sorry you were good in the first but Cheadle IS Rhodey for me.

I can't remember what the exact line was but it was like "I'm only going to say this once...leave" or something like that. Goosebumps.

You right E-. I'm not thrilled how he obtained the Mark II, and if the 'ex-wife' didn't work, why would the rest, but as a pressence, he was adequatly conflicted and concerned about Tonys handling of the suit.

Last edited:
I wasn't that hot with Cheadle as Rhodey. I think Howard had a much better chemistry and presentation of the role in the first movie. I wish he returned as Rhodey. Cheadle came off as a little too timid.

Here are my main problems with the Mark II/War Machine business:

-Where did the Mark II get an extra arc reactor? Why did Tony pack the Mark II with another new arc reactor. Does that one have the palladium core or what?

-The Mark II is an outdated and FLAWED model remember. Tony had to upgrade for a reason because the Mark II when going higher had an ice issue/fuselage issue. Does this not mean that the War Machine armor is also just as flawed? How will that issue get fixed since its still essentially the Mark II armor?

-Now I only have a problem with this because these issues are easily fixed by notes of course and by going off of the first movie. Tony wanted Rhodey involved with this. So that could explain why Rhodey knew the passcodes to the lab and knew how to operate the suit. It's been a while so Tony probably brought along his closest friend in letting him get acquainted with this stuff since Tony trusts Rhodey. I think they could've gone in that direction instead of Tony essentially saying HANDS OFF. Like Tony could still say HANDS OFF to everybody except you Rhodey. Because Rhodey clearly knew what he was doing.

Rhodey the way he was meant to be played.

Howard was a sissy who looked like he was about to crack a tear in every scene he was involved in.

Cheadle's demeanor was far more military-like and seemed a better fit to RDJ on screen. He's the kind of smaller man with a big mouth whom you could see benefit from an Iron Man suit.

Thank God Favreau was smart enough to make the switch.

Here are my main problems with the Mark II/War Machine business:

-Where did the Mark II get an extra arc reactor? Why did Tony pack the Mark II with another new arc reactor. Does that one have the palladium core or what?

I think you can clearly see that Tony gave each armor their own arc reactor. Makes sense since that had become a problem at the end of IM1.

-The Mark II is an outdated and FLAWED model remember. Tony had to upgrade for a reason because the Mark II when going higher had an ice issue/fuselage issue. Does this not mean that the War Machine armor is also just as flawed? How will that issue get fixed since its still essentially the Mark II armor?

Yes, fortunately we never see Rhodey trying to fly his suit too high for that to be a problem.

Well since he and Tony are back on good terms now, I'm sure Tony will give him a heads-up about it.

I'm sure that now that Rhodey is officially IM's sidekick Tony will give him the anti-freeze alloy, replace the ex-wife with something that works, etc. Of course Tony always keeps the best tech for himself.

Question: in the diner scene when Fury is livid that Tony would "let" Rhodey take the suit and Black Widow sprouts off this sentence that I can't even remember about something technological, they were basically inferring that Tony let Rhodey take the suit cause he was dying and he knew Rhodey would be a hero with it, right?

I'm sure that now that Rhodey is officially IM's sidekick Tony will give him the anti-freeze alloy, replace the ex-wife with something that works, etc. Of course Tony always keeps the best tech for himself.

What would be cool for the Avengers or IM3 is a scene showing Tony and Rhodey "fixing" the War Machine armor to be better than what the military came up with. Rhodey's armor was basically an Iron Man model with the bare basics and some extra guns on it. I'd love to see them really add some nice stuff to it in the future. Put some rocket launchers on that bad boy!:awesome:

I have to say, I think the chemistry between Downey and Cheadle was easily one of my favorite things about the movie. The back and forth bickering (especially when they finally team up at the end) was perfect and felt very authentic to the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"