Iron Man 2 Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Howard got a little too greedy. I heard him on CBS Sunday morning talking about getting obscene amounts of money and laughing about it.

i dont get why people call TIH a failure... it made slightly more then HULK which money wise did decently, story wise and expectation wise it failed. TIH just simply wasn't a hit, but it was a good hulk film, with good actors. People imo just don't care much for hulk... and HULK effected TIH's turnout. hopefully DVD sales will be decent
It was a disappointment. Studios care more about the domestic market because they make more money from it. International markets are hugely important but they care more about the domestic market, part of that is money and part is ego. It didn't bomb but it didn't make as much or more than it's 150 million dollar budget in the states. It actually sold less tickets than Hulk and I liked it well enough but I don't think that most people were thrilled with it, if they were the legs would have been better. Alas this isn't the Hulk forums so this is the last thing I say about it in here.

Why did Howard even bother to do IM then. This is lame, good friggin riddance :down

i dont get why people call TIH a failure... it made slightly more then HULK which money wise did decently, story wise and expectation wise it failed. TIH just simply wasn't a hit, but it was a good hulk film, with good actors. People imo just don't care much for hulk... and HULK effected TIH's turnout. hopefully DVD sales will be decent

I think Hulk, like Hellboy, only caters to little more than its fanbase seeing that neither franchises have brought in phenomenal b.o. numbers in their respective installments.

I thought that TIH was amazing and a great improvement over Lee's but putting it out among other summer heavyweights like THE DARK KNIGHT, IRON MAN & INDY 4 was just plain suicide...

It may have fared better with a holiday release.

As for the news over the new Rhodey, I've always felt that Michael Jai White was perfect for the part. He even sounds alot like the Rhodes from the 90s cartoon as well.

I have to say I was shocked when I read this news, but having Cheadle as a replacement softens the blow.

But surely did Howard sign a 3-pic deal for IM? I know RDJ and GP did, but it seems as though Marvel is willing to let him go in favor of someone cheaper.

Why did Howard even bother to do IM then. This is lame, good friggin riddance :down

LOL...you can't be serious. He did it because it was a paying movie role, like any other working actor.

But surely did Howard sign a 3-pic deal for IM? I know RDJ and GP did, but it seems as though Marvel is willing to let him go in favor of someone cheaper.

That's what I'd like to know. We really don't know what went on behind closed doors that lead to this.

It's unfortunate news because I felt that Howard did a great job. I hope that Cheadle will bulk up some...

LOL...you can't be serious. He did it because it was a paying movie role, like any other working actor.
Exactly. People on these boards have to understand that normal folk and actors aren't as emotionally invested in comicbook movies as we are.

Sounds like Howard played with fire and got burned. I hope it is worth it because it seems like a terrible career move.

I for one am happy about this. Howard had the range of an ant. I couldn't handle his constantly misty-eyed delivery. I swear, he always looks like he is on the verge of tears. Just came off a little too "friendly" with Starks character. Cheadle on the other hand possesses the kind of presence, persona, and attitude I would expect out of military man. What he lacks in size he makes up for with his mouth, which is ideal for a guy who'd man a War Machine suit.

Well this kinda...sucks. Cheadle's the better actor but...well, we'll see. I hate continuity flubs like this. I think he can pull it off with a goatee and some muscle though (or...any weight for that matter since I doubt he'll be walking around topless)...Yeah, I can see him pulling off Rhodes.

Trading Katie for Maggie didn't affect me one bit. Now this isn't the same thing because Howard wasn't terrible but he wasn't exactly good either so I can deal. It's cool to see older actors getting to play Superheros.

Did they give a reason why they made the change?

-TNC

For those that do not like to read:

The only thing we can judge are the choices themselves and how they affect the movie.

----

I use the term "semi-failure" since it really wasn't a success or a failure, but that point is moot, my main point is that people are being ridiculous in this thread on all sides.

Whether you think Cheadle can pull this off or if this will affect the quality of the movie is all subjective.

However, these remarks like:

I love Don Cheadle and all, but recasting a part is the death-knell of movie making. How about Marvel puts in a little more effort to negotiate with Terrence Howard rather than just recast the role?

Marvel really looks cheap. They tried to lowball Favreau and now this. Not good.

But you can tell how much he loved playing Rhodey.

I am getting more and more wary of Marvel and the way they're doing business. After the post-Iron Man fiasco, with not immediately resigning Faverau, the 2-year timeframe for part II, stiffing Howard on the money (apparently).

One hit movie and all the sudden they think they're invincible.

:whatever:

---

See my point? You folks aren't in the movie business, watching an episode of Entourage does not make you an expert. We do not know what happened behind close doors, perhaps Marvel tried to low-ball, perhaps Howard asked too much, perhaps Marvel simply doesn't have the financing for it (Which is entirely possible), who knows. The only thing we can judge are the choices themselves and how they affect the movie.

Btw.....how does bringing on Cheadle mean the end for Norton? I'm not seeing the connection.

Trading Katie for Maggie didn't affect me one bit. Now this isn't the same thing because Howard wasn't terrible but he wasn't exactly good either so I can deal. It's cool to see older actors getting to play Superheros.

Cheadle isn't that much older than Howard.

^^^word. I really doubt they lowballed him. Like I said earlier in the thread. Howard could have seen the enormous success of the first film...knowing his role would be greatly increased, went ahead and asked for a big pay bump.

^^^word. I really doubt they lowballed him. Like I said earlier in the thread. Howard could have seen the enormous success of the first film...knowing his role would be greatly increased, went ahead and asked for a big pay bump.

Personally I don't see what was so great about Howard, his appeal has really been lost on me. Back when Hustle and Flow came out, I thought oh'man Terrance Howard is so cool and then I realized , he gives the damn same performance in every movie and I just don't really care, at least Cheadle's got charisma.

Where's the evidence that he asked for a pay bump?

-TNC

Personally I don't see what was so great about Howard, his appeal has really been lost on me. Back when Hustle and Flow came out, I thought oh'man Terrance Howard is so cool and then I realized , he gives the damn same performance in every movie and I just don't really care, at least Cheadle's got charisma.

I do agree that some of his performances are very similar. I would have liked someone like chiwetel ejiofor, but he might be a little young. Cheadle works though.

I really don't see his appeal either and never did. This news isn't heartbreaking to me but I could understand if somebody didn't dig it because they liked Howard. He was just eh to okay to me in the first movie.

This sucks. Does Marvel actually think people won't notice Terrence Howard suddenly looks a lot like Don Cheadle...

This sucks. Does Marvel actually think people won't notice Terrence Howard suddenly looks a lot like Don Cheadle...

This isn't the first film where one actor replaces another. Rhodey isn't the main character, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"