Comics Donner and Johns's ACTION COMICS...Official Thread!

Does anybody know how many issues this arc is supposed to be?

amazing how similar these characters are to the movie. The s buckle, the look of clark kent, jimmy, the office. I like it.

It is sold out in my local comic shop, i have to buy the variant cover for 12 bucks, its not for me, but for a friend, anyone couldnt get a copy?

Great issue. It seems on other boards, like DC and Newsarama, that people are pretty split on it (some complaining about the art, some complaining about what Superman does with the kid). Myself, I can't wait to see what Johns and Donner have planned for us next. :)

Rather amazing how different the opinions are in the thread in the DC Comics forum. Everyone there is just ****ting on it after one issue. Being overly judgemental is fun!

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the issue (though if the kid is staying around, I'd prefer it to have been Supes and Lois's actual kid) I like the look of the artwork, and I'm particularly interested in seeing how this all turns out.

Tell you what, how about I saw off your arm, but you can't start screaming until it's all the way off, because otherwise that would be overly judgmental!

Rather colorful comparison there, but I honestly don't see what was so horrible about the issue.

Not seeing what's horrible about the issue is fine, but don't say ridiculous things like people can't judge a first issue.

Man I can't wait to see the next issue!!!

Art was ok, I liked the SR elements except the buckle. I honestly didn't like it but its just a setup issue so I'll keep my hopes up that it will blow me away.

umm.....so is the premise here that the kid is from Krypton, and he crashed down on Earth much like Superman did many years ago? And, the kid will be adopted by Supes and Lois, much like Supes was adopted by the Kents?

super-bats said:
umm.....so is the premise here that the kid is from Krypton, and he crashed down on Earth much like Superman did many years ago? And, the kid will be adopted by Supes and Lois, much like Supes was adopted by the Kents?
looks that way

How much longer til the next issue?! I can't wait. I love it!!!:woot: I have to admit though, Andy's art is better than Adam's, too bad Andy couldn't have done Supes aswell.

Morgoth said:
How much longer til the next issue?! I can't wait. I love it!!!:woot: I have to admit though, Andy's art is better than Adam's, too bad Andy couldn't have done Supes aswell.
I feel like Adam's art was way better in Ultimate X-Men...but then again, I guess he's going for a unique look for Supes.

Read it. Wasn't really that impressed. I'll keep reading it. Maybe it will excite me at some point.

Why does everyone think Donner is some kind of God when it comes to Superman? I think he's better on the 'Lethal Weapon' series. Humour and pathos is his strong point. I'm not seeing a lot of it here. Maybe that's John's doing.

In any case, I'll keep picking it up but I hope I start enjoying it more.

what's keeping me reading it is the fact that johns/donner promised to give all supe's classic villians a revamp.

Want to see more pics! Anything from part 2!:oldrazz:

I don't think the kid will make it beyond the arc. I also don't think he's going to end up really being Kryptonian. All the suspense is overwith if we already know he's going to be SUperman's Kryptonian adopted Super-son.

Just picked up the first issue today. Awesome read!

DavidTyler said:
Read it. Wasn't really that impressed. I'll keep reading it. Maybe it will excite me at some point.

Why does everyone think Donner is some kind of God when it comes to Superman? I think he's better on the 'Lethal Weapon' series. Humour and pathos is his strong point. I'm not seeing a lot of it here. Maybe that's John's doing.

In any case, I'll keep picking it up but I hope I start enjoying it more.

Because:

Donner is to Superman as
Raimi is to Spider-Man as
Nolan is to Batman

Jlandsw said:
Because:

Donner is to Superman as
Raimi is to Spider-Man as
Nolan is to Batman

I disagree. WHile Superman the MOvie is the best live action SUperman film, some of Donner's concepts are not out of the comics, while the other two films did better jobs of being faithful to the comics.

I think Raimi's Spider-Man is more faithful to the comics than any other comic book film. Although, Daredevil isn't bad either in this respect.

Donner added the bit about Jor-El sending Kal-El to Earth to be a 'savior' of sorts. In the comics, the only thing Jor-El and Lara are concerned with is finding a planet which is habitable for Kryptonians. Jor-El realized that Kal-El will be super-powerful (original origin all Kryptonians were SUper-powerful) on Earth, but he doesn't expect him to somehow live outside the perameters of being human. Jonathan Kent echoes the sentiment that 'he's here for a reason.' All along it's been more about seredipidy than purpose for Superman's arrival on Earth. This changes the story to be more about fulfilling a destiny or a purpose as opposed to being a story about what is the responsible and right thing to do when you realize you have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

SUperman II adds the bit about having to be mortal in order to live with a mortal. That is just an artificial device to keep Lois and Superman apart so that he has to depower in SUperman II. Otherwise, it's a really differernt story.

I also think Donner's Luthor is pretty goofy. I think there are better ways they could have done Luthor, even in '78. A little more motivation for him would have been better.

It's interesting to me that, some of the shortcomings of the Donner films really weren't that apparent to me until I saw Superman Returns and how horrendously those same elements were interpreted by Bryan Singer.

As for Batman and Christopher Nolan, there is no doubt that Batman Begins is the best live action Batman film by a HUGE margin. Nolan made some changes and tweaks, but I think it is more faithful to comics than Donner's SUperman, as far as the essence and basics go and setting up the world of the charcter and how he relates to it.

SO to rank:

1. Raimi's SPider-Man
2. Johnson's Daredevil
3. Nolan's Batman
4. Donner's Superman

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee