Doom Patrol Doom Patrol TV Show Greenlit

DnAk0pYU8AE5Y5X.jpg

DnAk0pXU8AAkn1_.jpg

29624544-85_AD-4836-_AA36-_DA34091222_A4.jpg

Doom Patrol has got really great cast, now according to rumors, Matt Bomer is attached to the show as Negative Man. So, cast is Timothy Dalton as Prof. Niles Caulder, Brendan Fraser as Robotman, Matt Bomer as Negative Man, April Bowlby as Elasti Girl, Ryan Potter as Beast Boy and Alan Tudyk as main antagonist.

Last edited:
Apparently..

the first page of the pilot script has leaked. (not sure authentic or not.) But I liked it.

Also new this month is Doom Patrol (GRANT), a series based on the DC Comics superhero team of the same name. The show will run on DC Universe, a new streaming service that will specialize in DC Comics content. Doom Patrol has some big names attached, including Brendan Fraser, Alan Tudyk, and Timothy Dalton. The series ended August in Conyers on the 30th. Between September 10 and 12, crews took over a portion of downtown Lawrenceville. On the 13th, filming took place at the Briarcliff Mansion. Crews returned to Conyers, shooting in a neighborhood on September 21.

source atlantamagazine.com

“By now you guys have seen my thoughts on both TITANS and SWAMP THING, it was inevitable you’d eventually get to read my opinion on the DC Universe’s other exclusive show, DOOM PATROL. So what did I think of the first episode DOOM PATROL? I LOVED it. Out of all of the streaming service’s properties, this is now my most anticipated. Why? Because Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns, and co have struck a perfect balance between the X-Men comics and Marvel Netflix shows with this series. Blending realistic adult themes and dialogue with superhero campiness has proved to be an excellent choice, and far more effective than the rest of the DC Universe’s titles (even though I’ve liked all of them). Here’s my take on the pilot episode of DC’s DOOM PATROL.

DOOM PATROL opens in 1948 Panama. An ex-Nazi scientist, Von Fuchs meets with a character that may or may not be important later. This scene is cool, but what caught me off-guard was just how darkly humorous it was. See, DOOM PATROL doesn’t shy away from its wacky concept but instead embraces it for comedic (and often heartfelt) effect. There are only certain ways a show can get away with a Nazi making a machine that disembodies a man’s face all-the-while making jokes about it next to an albino donkey, and DOOM PATROL did that. From there we jump to the 1980s where we are introduced to Cliff Steele, aka Robotman (who is now confirmed to be played by Brendan Fraser!!), and we get to see his life as it was before the “accident.” His wife, his daughter. Cliff’s a racer— high octane, daredevil type. Okay, maybe you’re thinking this sounds a bit cliché but wait. I don’t want to get into it anymore for the sake of spoiling what happens, but let’s say the archetypes you think are happening, aren’t.

Anyway, we jump forward in time after the “accident” and are introduced to the Doom Manor and Dr Niles Caulder, aka The Chief, a wheelchair-bound mad scientist that has an unhealthy obsession with superheroes (you see where the X-Men comparisons come in?) We are also familiarized with Rita Farr, aka Elasti-Girl, a retired actress from the 1950s who has also managed to weasel her way into the Doom Manor over the decades (we’ll get to her later.) A whole bunch of stuff happens over years and years until we finally reach 1995 and are shown another character, Larry Trainor, aka Negative Man. Larry was an air force pilot in the 1960s who was disfigured after a massive accident (which we are shown.) We then see Rita’s ‘origin story’ as she breaks down (literally) while shooting a film decades ago. Throughout this whole time jumping affair, the characters are given plenty of depth and interact a lot with each other. I especially loved a particular moment with Cliff and a vision of his daughter that was emotional. There’s minimal action in this episode, and it works wonders. We take the time to soak up these characters and study them inside and out. By the end of the event, you become so invested in the team and their dysfunctional family dynamic that you really can’t wait to see the next episode. I know I can’t.

But before then we still have one more character to introduce, and she is perhaps DOOM PATROL’s best: Crazy Jane. She is essentially The Horde from SPLIT on steroids. One woman, 64 personas with their unique abilities. Take ‘Hammerhead’ for instance, a brute loudmouth who’ll beat you to a pulp for just looking at her wrong. Or ‘Sun Daddy’ who… you know what? I’m going just to let you guys figure this one out. Regardless, make it be known that Crazy Jane is an awesome character and I can’t wait to see what Diane Guerrero does with her.

The plot gets twisty-and-turny from this point forward, so I’ll be as vague as possible. Certain characters may end up being characters you never thought they were. Certain events may have played out in ways you didn’t realize. And maybe, just maybe, a giant, hulking blob will roll down a small town street, gobbling up everything in its path…

Despite Jovian Wade being cast, Cyborg does not appear in the first episode.

All the characters of DOOM PATROL are damaged in their way. They’re social outcasts, and that’s what brings them together. Whether its Cliff’s lack of a human body, Rita’s debilitating powers, Larry’s charred body, and his unusual abilities, or Jane’s multipolar disorder, these broken people find a family and a home in each other. On the Doom Bus or in the Doom Manor, when they’re together, they’re happy. It’s quite beautiful, and it’s something I wish the X-Men films explored better. But I’m more than happy DOOM PATROL has done it so well.

Tonally, the show is still as dark as we have come to expect from a DC Universe production. However, I’ll say DOOM PATROL handles swearing, sex and other dark themes with far more maturity and respect than TITANS. Yes, while I did enjoy TITANS, I was slightly worried they were going to go super angsty with it, and they went FAR beyond what I thought they would— even visually. And while I’m still worried about what DOOM PATROL is going to look like visually, I’ll say that the story has far less room to be “edgy” in the same way TITANS is “edgy.” The jokes work, but it’s the dark, misfit, body image themes that sell this series as something new— something that hasn’t been done before with superheroes (or at least not as well).

Again, I hope that production is given the budget this series deserves because it genuinely has the potential to be something great. Or, depending on how much WB believes in this project or not, a stinking turd of a show.”

Really looking forward to the show.

First Look at Matt Bomer as Larry Trainor (Negative Man) ?

8lp81i7092q11.jpg

Oh yay they finally cast bomer in something, he’s been fancast in just about everything!

Sounds like Bomer’s voicing Negative Man in Titans too. Wonder if we might also hear Fraser’s voice as Robotman?

when is the series set to premiere?

I'm not a fan of the comic. Can anyone give a quick 411 on them?

I'm not a fan of the comic. Can anyone give a quick 411 on them?
The original X-Men with all of them getting their powers from accidents or experiments. Beast Boy was a DP member before he joined TT.

Release Dates Set For DC Universe Shows

Jeremy Carver’s ‘Doom Patrol’ will begin airing on Friday, February 15th. The show stars Timothy Dalton, Brendan Fraser, April Bowlby, Matt Bomer, Diane Guerrero, Joivan Wade, and Alan Tudyk. It follows a group of misfits who are brought together by Cyborg for a mission that will forever change their lives.

Would not be surprised if we got a trailer very soon.

I am very excited about this. Their episode of Titans was by far the best thing about that show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"