Down At The Old Swimmin' Hole - Childhood Memories

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by jaguarr, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Daisy Gone

I was kind of noticing that... that the older among us tend to list more outdoor experiences...

2. Daisy Gone

When I think about just how idyllic my childhood really was, I'm almost tempted to say "Just call me 'Beve'"... almost. :D

3. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I live near a park and don't see as many kids hanging out there as there should be.

4. Daisy Gone

Don't you live in a large city though? :confused:

I know people here in DC are very reluctant to let their kids play away from their homes (which is really sad, because most have tiny, tiny yards, if at all :()... even in what are really safe neighborhoods.

5. The Last Meatbag Registered

Yep, kids today suck Im part of the last un-lazy generation :o

6. D.Rex Ninja among Dinosaurs

Swimming at the pool was the best. We'd always go to the pool when the ocean was too cold. My neighbors had a huge concrete pool and a bunch of dogs. My dog Abby (who is a lab/shepard) always used to go over to play with their dogs. Then she'd get tired of playing or whatever and she'd go jump in my neighbors pool. It was the funniest thing. She'd go run and jump off the diving board and paddle around. I'd be swimming and go dive underwater and she'd jump in and try to save me or my brothers. The neighbors didn't mind as the pool was concrete so there was no lining to rip but I've never met another dog that liked to swim in the pool as much as her. She's a unique dog.

7. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I live in a house in the burbs 45 min out of NYC.

I grew up in NYC but it was on a military base.

8. Wilhelm-Scream Registered

[​IMG]
    "Ward, what's wrong with the beaver?"

9. Daisy Gone

What 'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis? :confused:

10. Daisy Gone

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the beaver. ;)

11. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It's just shaved.......um...wait what are you talking about?

12. Wilhelm-Scream Registered

3 June Cleaver's on a page
    Yahtzee!

13. Daisy Gone

I always have to laugh because the mascot of the first college I attended was the 'Beavers'... and oddly enough, my first RA's name was Missy Beaver. :o

14. Hades Guest

Eh, i can't recall much of any happy childhood memories.
    I never had very many friends, i was usually alone.

I guess my happiest were with my dog. I usually went everywhere with him.
    I remember thinking one day we'd just run away together, and we'd just travel the world. I miss him...

15. passerby Registered

Thats it I hate you all. No one posts in the one I made, but you post in this one. WTH??

16. The Last Meatbag Registered

Chu is talking about most kids today just playing video games instead of going outside and doing fun stuff like I used to do, and I don't know what the hell Willis is talking about

17. Hades Guest

What the hell are you talking about.

18. passerby Registered

I made a thread about past memories like this one and I only got 12 posts and he has 40 and its still going. Do you guys see my name under the thread and say hell no am I posting in there?!?!?

19. Hades Guest

Lying is no good:o :down

20. passerby Registered

21. Sarge 2.0 Fire Walk With Me

Hmmm...

Me and my friends tackling this jackass in a sandbox, and then another kid slapped him around. Afterwards, the school aides called us down to the principle, but my teacher (kindergarten at the time) defended me and my friends, 'cause the kid we beat was a jackass to everyone.

Riding my first bike, (I used to love that damn thing, but looking back at pictures I realise that it wasn't child safe at all) and having the bike chain break causing the bike to fall and wobble uncontrollably. I ended up with a badly scraped knee, so I decided to try to suck it up and get home. My house was only on the other side of the block, but I decided to go all the way around, 'cause I thought I could take it. To this day I can just imagine how dumb a seven year old kid with a big, doofy bike helmet and a bloody knee trying to limp a damn rusty safety hazard around the block must've looked. But goddamn I had fun riding it along with my friends. I guess that's kind of what counts.

Also, there were these woods outside my elementary school, and they freaked out everyone in my grade. But my best friend and I decided to make up stories, 'cause we thought we would be all cool and scare all of the second and first graders. So we make up this crazy story about an old man with a ghost dog and green eyes...but one kid tries to get us to go into the woods. We were scared ****less of our own story, and wouldn't go. :(

A whole ton of other stuff from elementary school and early middle school...I'll try to remember later.

22. The IronMan Registered

This is such a great thread.I've had so many great memories growing up but this one always makes me smile.Afriend and myself decided we were going to build a two floor tree house in the woods behind his house.we were probably 10 or so at the time, so it really was a huge project.we worked on the fort fora few days....a ground floor and a three sided second floor.We decided that our masterpiece needed PAINT.The only paint on hand was a nasty sea foam green my father had in the basement.(oil based of course!)we got the ground floor done in no time.The hard part ,the second floor required the use of a LADDER. Even though it wasn't very stable we worked quickly. As we were nearing the end of our project this massive spider decided it was time for him to pay us a surprise visit.To say the least, two startled boys, an unbalanced ladder,and a can of paint came down in a hurry.The spider? he made out okay.We were covered in paint.Hair, Skin, Clothes it was everywhere! my friends mom put us in a big metal tub and proceeded to wash us down with turpentine and rinse us with the garden hose.Man, was she mad at us we looked and smelled horrible.That story to this day can still make me smile and it happened over 30 years ago.I was very fortunate to have grown up in that neighborhood with the best friends a person could ask for.

23. passerby Registered

Iron man I hate you. It was my thread and he stole it. Stop giving him credit!!

24. jaguarr Be Your Own Hero

Damn, dude. Chill out. I didn't know you had made a thread that was similar to this one previously, as I already said at the beginning of this one. You wanted to talk about your childhood memories? Well, people are doing that in this thread. So, you can continue to b!tch and moan about how no one posted in your thread and be bitter about that, or you can go with the flow and start sharing your childhood stories here. Lighten up. Have some fun and post some stories, man. It's really not that big of a deal. Seriously.

jag

25. AndThePickles Kiss the girl

I used to play outside SO much when I was little......

We'd have neighborhood water balloon fights, play hide and go seek, play in sprinklers, play "fake camping". I also remember having tricycle races.

I remember playing barbies and dress-up with my friends. Me and one of my best friends would also videotape ourselves and make our own music videos to stuff like Aretha Franklin and Ace of Base songs.

Even in high school, one of my friends had a river behind her house, and we'd all go over there and go tubing. I remember one time me and my friend Tara went too far down the river and got lost, and these geese started chasing us. Fun times.