Downey's last?

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by kaijunexus, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

If it is his last, I just hope it's the last of Iron Man. I don't think anyone could beat RDJ.

2. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

^Exactly, for this go-round at least
    I'd rather see Iron Man leave and not be in Avengers 3 than see him recast mid-story if Downey is too old/wants too much money.

Then, 10-20 years down the line, you can reboot the whole damn Universe

3. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

ick! id rather not wait until im 40 to see more MCU.

Recast away. Just keep em coming.

4. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

If they go down the Onslaught route I will have to murder a lamb and offer it to the Gods to undo such decisions :o

5. mjbull23

mjbull23 Beyond Good and Evil

Agree. I've become such a fan of his work in the role of Tony Stark, I can't even imagine anyone else in the part.

6. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Too me Robert Downey Jr. is to Iron Man, What Christopher Reeve was/is to Superman.

7. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

Marvel did say they want to continue the Iron Man franchise James Bond style (a loose continuity) and Tony Stark/Iron Man will be played by a different actor as the decades pass by.

I also heard that Robert Downey Jr. himself will help in selecting the next actor for the character. If that's the case, then I don't see a problem with replacing him.

8. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Is Sean Connery can be replaced as James Bond, so can RDJ, as good as he is.

9. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

Well if that IS indeed the case the I would be much more comfortable with the actor change.

10. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Well they should at least wait until Phase 2 is over before recasting Downey for the role. I mean would it be that much difficult to fork over some cash so that he could appear in "The Avengers 2"? Having Phase 2 start with Downey as Iron Man only for the phase to end with someone else as tony would be stupid.

11. Doc Ock

Indeed, I personally was hoping to have a trilogy of Avengers with Downey as Stark. :(

12. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I still think it's likley Disney will throw a lot of money his way to sign him up for A2 and A3.

13. herolee10

If Disney is willing to throw a lot of money at Depp just to have gotten him on board for the last Pirates film that we had with him, then they should be willing to do the same with Downey for the stuff mentioned above.

14. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

They'll be keeping RDJ for as long as he looks young to play the part. Looks like he can still pull it off from what we've seen of Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 is coming out in 2015. I think he can still pull off that look even in 2 years from now so at least we'll see him in 1 more Marvel movie max after 2013.

15. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Sean Connery was playing James Bond and he was already looking a lot older by Thunderball, YOLT and then especially DAF. He also wore a toupee. I'm sure if necessary, Disney can spring for a toupee for RDJ if it comes to that.

16. Ultra Ham

Ultra Ham Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't mind an older tony stark. Unlike the comics, the movies should keep to the same general timeline that they are being released in. I think it would work nicely to see Tony Stark grow old and develop further.

17. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

If they can get The Avengers 3 out by 2019 at the latest, then RDJ would be 54. Personally, I have no problem with keeping him around until then.

18. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Well-Known Member

If Feige has his way then Tony Stark might just be played by another actor. No reboot. Go the James Bond way.

I think it would be funny if a reporter asks Tony Stark

"Is it true you had plastic surgery?"

Count me out if someone decides to adapt "Ultimate IronMan" I'm not interested in seeing a BLUE Tony Stark.:whatever:

I DO however think somewhere down the line we'll get an "IronMan" movie with a Tony Stark in his 20's

19. Doc Ock

Indeed, I completely agree! I think it would be nice to see a older superhero. Like The Dark Knight Returns or say seeing the character develop and grow older as seen in the Ezio focused Assassins Creed Video Games.

20. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

As long as RDJ wants to play the role, I see no reason why a recast is necessary.

21. herolee10

This is why I wish at times that they had better managed the release of their films and that Phase 1 had only consisted of Iron Man 1, TIH, Thor, and CA, with Phase 2 having Iron Man 2, only with Iron Man 2's story being what Iron Man 3's is right now.

22. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

Some of you guys are acting like RDJ is going to look like this by the time Avengers 2 starts filming.

[​IMG]

23. Marathon

Marathon Well-Known Member

They also need to recast Pepper and Tony at the same time (assuming Pepper is never killed). Would be awkward for only one of the pair to change at a time, lol.

24. M-2

M-2 Ultimate BAMF

After that trailer.. i dont think im ready for Downey to get Re-cast as yet... He loves the character and we love him as the character and as long as he is capable he should do it!

but if he does get recast in the near future it will have to be after Avengers 2! i want the original crew back for that one... Just atleast have one Avengers film without recast!!

25. DOOZlovesBOOZ

DOOZlovesBOOZ Well-Known Member

They are going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at him to get him back.