Iron Man 3 Downey's last?

Other people could certainly be armored heroes, even ones outfitted with Stark tech, and work fine. Rhodes is just such a person.

However, a successor Iron Man? That is much dicier. It is *possible*, certainly, but it would require more than just "access to Stark tech." It would require someone who is a true genius with the heroic spirit, someone who could truly follow in Tony Stark's footsteps. The only obvious candidate would be "Tony's theoretical future kid," which wouldn't be relevant barring a fairly major time skip.

I didnt read the entire thread, but it suprising so many people actually think Downey is done with the MCU after IM3? He will obviously be in Avengers 2 and I would imagine he would love to be in more. He loves the character and truly is the driving force behind the whole MCU

I think there is just some mild concern since I think Iron Man 3 is the last movie on his current deal. Plus I think there is a little anxiety because I mean Marvel Studios has recast other roles before.

We have the expectation that Tony Stark/Iron Man will be recast eventually, but it will be tough to see Downey go.

I want Tony Stark to be recast when they reboot the entire MCU. I'd rather take a break from Tony Stark then get countless recasts.

I want Tony Stark to be recast when they reboot the entire MCU. I'd rather take a break from Tony Stark then get countless recasts.

Marvel have already said they won't be doing any reboots, just re-casting.
Each hero will get an actor for 5-6 films, more than enough time for each actor to put his/hers stamp on the character.

Marvel have already said they won't be doing any reboots, just re-casting.
Each hero will get an actor for 5-6 films, more than enough time for each actor to put his/hers stamp on the character.

This. The individual heroes' story will go on, regardless of who plays them. We want to see the story continue, not revert every few years just because an actor is unable to go on for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I understand after five years if RDJ wants to move on , but I'm really hoping he clarifies him self and he was really meaning he doesnt wanna do the IronMan franchise anymore..but still move foward with the Avengers franchise because why would he even bother to do the first movie without being aware that's going be a three movie or deal? ....I really hope hes not saying that cause disney is playing hard balling him...

Maybe he doesn't want to be locked into a 3-picture deal or whatever and would like to just take them one at a time from now on without necessary obligation to do more than that.

They already have sufficient practice not noticing the sudden huge differences in Bruce Banner and James Rhodes. I think the MCU is quite ready for a different Tony by now.

Ready? No, probably it will never be "ready." Downey, more than any actor save perhaps Jackman as Wolverine and Reeve as Superman, defined his character for an entire generation with his performance. Audiences will take it much harder than ANY single character in the MCU being recast.

However, Downey will one day want to quit, though I suspect he'll at least do Avengers 2 before then. When that happens, Marvel is not writing off the character.

This is addressed on page 2 of this RDJ interview:

The Tony Stark character is very linked to you. That’s not to say they couldn’t one day recast the role –

RDJ: I’m sure they’ve thought about it. I feel like I got sold to Disney for $4 billion.

Does the fact that you’re so connected make you want to stay around as long as you can?

RDJ: Yeah, but, quiet as it’s kept, that’s how I’ve always been. The thing about playing this kind of inherent narcissist, whenever you kill one of Tony’s egos, another one just pops up. I’ve had that experience, but I’ve found the whole thing to be a very quieting journey for me. It’s been remarkably humbling. You realize you’re just kind of part of this thing. I think the problems begin when any one person involved in anything — particularly anything successful — decides that they have some sense of ownership to it. This is really something that Stan Lee scratched down going on 50 years now. He touched on something really, really cool with Iron Man and, strangely, Iron Man was sort of second-tier superhero who laid the groundwork for these other guys and gals. Where I’m at right now is that I’ve always thought of myself — particularly since I’ve been married to this high-functioning Jewish girl from the Midwest — I think of myself as being a company man. I like showing up and I like doing press. I like being able to say, “I’m going to take a break because I don’t want to burn out.” I don’t want to be doing a roundtable or a press conference and have people say, “He looks tired!” I want to be there. I want to communicate and kind of experience this. The funny thing is that, though I can be quick-witted, I tend to have a slow take experientially for things. These five or six years have not been enough time for me to process what has happened.

It seems that you must getting towards the end of whatever contract you originally signed. Are you going to sign on for several more or will you take it one at a time?

RDJ: I don’t know. I honestly get uncomfortable with leverage. I was annoyed for awhile about having a contract where, in success, not very much changes for you. But then I got to thinking, “What was I really doing before I got ‘Iron Man’?” Then I think, “Don’t lead with that, Robert! You’re a big prime mover!” I go, “Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I get that. I can talk about that for two hours. But I’m a big believer in being really straight and saying, “Okay, let’s really look at this.” I not going to pretend I’m over it and whatever. Obviously, it’s better to have a contract run out than it is to have one go on indefinitely. But I guess that’s why contracts have limits on them. Let’s just say that me, the agents and the lawyers are having a bit of a ball right now. I don’t like this whole — and I think it’s a particularly Western thing. Well, maybe not anymore, because we’re being outpaced by the east business-wise — of “We’ve got him! Let’s screw him to the floor!” Is that what gets you off? Making people feel bad? It shouldn’t be, “Man, they really put the screws to us, brother.” It’s like, “Weren’t we excited about the future a couple of years ago. Now we’re just laying the boots to each other. It’s just so digesting. I’m an artist!

It sounds like they're working it out, and he wants to do it, but is maybe a bit frustrated with the process.

This is addressed on page 2 of this RDJ interview:

The Tony Stark character is very linked to you. That’s not to say they couldn’t one day recast the role –

RDJ: I’m sure they’ve thought about it. I feel like I got sold to Disney for $4 billion.

Does the fact that you’re so connected make you want to stay around as long as you can?

RDJ: Yeah, but, quiet as it’s kept, that’s how I’ve always been. The thing about playing this kind of inherent narcissist, whenever you kill one of Tony’s egos, another one just pops up. I’ve had that experience, but I’ve found the whole thing to be a very quieting journey for me. It’s been remarkably humbling. You realize you’re just kind of part of this thing. I think the problems begin when any one person involved in anything — particularly anything successful — decides that they have some sense of ownership to it. This is really something that Stan Lee scratched down going on 50 years now. He touched on something really, really cool with Iron Man and, strangely, Iron Man was sort of second-tier superhero who laid the groundwork for these other guys and gals. Where I’m at right now is that I’ve always thought of myself — particularly since I’ve been married to this high-functioning Jewish girl from the Midwest — I think of myself as being a company man. I like showing up and I like doing press. I like being able to say, “I’m going to take a break because I don’t want to burn out.” I don’t want to be doing a roundtable or a press conference and have people say, “He looks tired!” I want to be there. I want to communicate and kind of experience this. The funny thing is that, though I can be quick-witted, I tend to have a slow take experientially for things. These five or six years have not been enough time for me to process what has happened.

It seems that you must getting towards the end of whatever contract you originally signed. Are you going to sign on for several more or will you take it one at a time?

RDJ: I don’t know. I honestly get uncomfortable with leverage. I was annoyed for awhile about having a contract where, in success, not very much changes for you. But then I got to thinking, “What was I really doing before I got ‘Iron Man’?” Then I think, “Don’t lead with that, Robert! You’re a big prime mover!” I go, “Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I get that. I can talk about that for two hours. But I’m a big believer in being really straight and saying, “Okay, let’s really look at this.” I not going to pretend I’m over it and whatever. Obviously, it’s better to have a contract run out than it is to have one go on indefinitely. But I guess that’s why contracts have limits on them. Let’s just say that me, the agents and the lawyers are having a bit of a ball right now. I don’t like this whole — and I think it’s a particularly Western thing. Well, maybe not anymore, because we’re being outpaced by the east business-wise — of “We’ve got him! Let’s screw him to the floor!” Is that what gets you off? Making people feel bad? It shouldn’t be, “Man, they really put the screws to us, brother.” It’s like, “Weren’t we excited about the future a couple of years ago. Now we’re just laying the boots to each other. It’s just so digesting. I’m an artist!

It sounds like they're working it out, and he wants to do it, but is maybe a bit frustrated with the process.

Well, let's just all hope for the best and that Marvel is able to get him back for at least 2 more films, Avengers wise.

Marvel Studios should just stop playing cheap already and just do whatever they can to get Downey on board for the next two Avengers' films.

I think once the big three are done with their three solo films and three Avenger films, then it'd be a good time to move on with new actors.

Downey is gonna be getting Johnny Depp money to come back fore more. And like Depp he deserves it.

Downey is gonna be getting Johnny Depp money to come back fore more. And like Depp he deserves it.

Curious; who would have more say in the matter of getting Downey back between Marvel Studios and Disney since I'd feel that Disney would be the ones that would likely be more willing to dish out the money to Downey in order to get him back for more.

I think he will do Avengers 2 and then that will be it...maybe an Avengers 3 cameo but I bet he dies in Avengers 2.

I think he will do Avengers 2 and then that will be it...maybe an Avengers 3 cameo but I bet he dies in Avengers 2.

doubtful on the dying part since Feige has mentioned on how they'd be willing to go down the James Bond route of just casting new actors to play the character so that they can maintain the continuity established in the MCU regarding of not having to reboot the character.

He'll do at least 3 more films in a leading/supporting role:

The Avengers 2 (Lead)
Iron Man 4 (Lead)
The Avengers (Supporting)

He'll probably also cameo is various other Marvel films.

He's referred to by the actors and producers of these films as the "Godfather" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He's not just another actor in the series -- he's THE actor of the series. He will do it as long as HE wants to do it -- and HE's said that he will do it as long as WE want him to do it... as long as it's fresh.

Disney is backing Marvel and footing the bill now. The Avengers made Disney/Paramount/Marvel more than 1 billion dollars in box office alone. Add in merchandise and DVD/Blu Ray sales and that number is a juggernaut.

His solo films are by far the heaviest hitting box office films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and will remain so...

Disney will throw him $20+ Million per picture with a backend deal for three more pictures. Then they'll give him a smaller contract, but pay him as a producer for the films that he has walk-on cameos for....

Now, remember -- with the way the Cinematic Universe works (multiple films per year) he can appear in 6-7 films, in some capacity, (including the three I listed above) all in the next 6-10 years. Then, he can retire and pass the role on -- or leave the limelight of the Marvel Universe and we can focus on other characters until Downey's Tony Stark isn't as fresh in our minds, and then they can introduce a new actor in the role.

Marvel isn't the same studio it was when in contract battles with Terrance Howard and Mickey Rourke. They have The Walt Disney Company behind them now. That's like the A's being backed by the Yankees. Or the Jaguars being backed by the Cowboys.

Downey is Disney's blue-chip leadman. They will pay him the money it costs to keep him in the fold because he churns out $700million-1.6billion at the world wide box office. When that slows, then maybe they'll rethink things...

-R

Why do so many fans assume that these characters must die after a few appearances? Iron Man's 50th anniversary is this year and it's safe to assume that he'll be around for at least fifty more. Why would Marvel kill off its most popular character (in the MCU)? Because he's played after three solo films? That's hardly the case.

Tony Stark has fifty years of history to mine for new cinematic adventures. There is no need to kill him off when he has so many possibilities open for exploration.

doubtful on the dying part since Feige has mentioned on how they'd be willing to go down the James Bond route of just casting new actors to play the character so that they can maintain the continuity established in the MCU regarding of not having to reboot the character.

They aren't going to recast RDJ mid universe. That would be overly stupid and would negatively impact the universe. RDJ is Tony Stark.

Why do so many fans assume that these characters must die after a few appearances? Iron Man's 50th anniversary is this year and it's safe to assume that he'll be around for at least fifty more. Why would Marvel kill off its most popular character (in the MCU)? Because he's played after three solo films? That's hardly the case.

Tony Stark has fifty years of history to mine for new cinematic adventures. There is no need to kill him off when he has so many possibilities open for exploration.

A) it's very impactful to the story (characters have to die)
B) it makes room for new characters
C) it completes character arcs and resolves loose ends

They will reboot all of this sooner or later, I think they are on Phase 2 now. I would guess they have 3 phases planned to span 3 decades. Iron Man can't and shouldn't be the lead for 30 years. At some point he had to be retired ala death or literal retirement. I would rather no more Iron Man if RDJ left. He's just perfect and I want time to pass before we see a new Iron Man. ****ing out characters is bad in the long run.

Marvel was considering killing off Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS.

Along with The Hulk.

Early drafts featured both possibilities.

Probably a good thing they didn't go that route.

Marvel was considering killing off Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS.

Along with The Hulk.

Early drafts featured both possibilities.

Probably a good thing they didn't go that route.

Ooo...that wouldn't have gone too well...

I don't think Tony Stark will die, he will probably leave the universe for a few years before a new actor takes over.
He hasn't died in the comics and has lasted for 50years now.

The run from IronMan1 to Avengers could have just spanned 3years, so whos to say how long the universe can run on the characters without a reboot.

Just swap and change the members of Avengers like in the comics.

To be honest....they can STOP making IM movies if RDJ is gone!! You can replace Bruce Waynes......but Stark is RDJ.

To be honest....they can STOP making IM movies if RDJ is gone!! You can replace Bruce Waynes......but Stark is RDJ.
You can replace Bruce Wayne's because it has been done before. Tony Stark will be just as replaceable if when someone else is chosen to be him. Some of us will just have to shed a bit of misplaced sentimentality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"