Downey's last?

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by kaijunexus, Feb 8, 2011.

1. deathknell3000

He's too smart to let a cash cow like this go.

2. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Hopefully he does Avengers 2 and 3. I don't care about Iron Man 4.

3. Avenger

Avenger Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Honestly, at this point, Marvel needs Downey more than Downey needs Marvel. I don't see him signing another multi-picture deal once he's finished with Iron Man 3, unless Marvel decides to offer him Johnny Depp-like money (unlikely). I think he'll be willing to do one or two Avengers sequels, but that's it.

4. 4jsis4

4jsis4 Active Member

I don't think this would be his last. He still has The Avengers and 2 more sequels following up.

5. Blader5489

Blader5489 CASUAL SEX!

1) The Avengers releases before Iron Man 3.

2) He doesn't have to do any Avengers sequels. His contract is for three Iron Man movies and one Avengers.

6. RP3X

RP3X Member

I think hes good for a few more films to come, guy looks good hes still got some good skin and excellent hair, he looks younger then some of my m8s that are in there late 20s even.

And thats why we have stunt doubles galore :)

Theres plenty of Avengers left and RDJ can always do the voicing for iron man and if anything every now and then his helmet can come down and we can either see his face or have a CGI fan underneath :)

7. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

You know, I was thinking that they could still have RDJ associated with future Ironman films but perhaps pull a Batman Beyond and have Tony Stark be more of a mentor to another guy using his suit and his technology.

*Edit* Just realized what I posted, but oh my God does Tony really need anymore Batman similarities? >_<

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

First off, that would've been Rhodey when he assumed the Iron Man identity when Stark was incapacitated with alcholism. Stark was a mentor to him in the comics. However, it hasn't worked out this way in the movies. We don't really need other people in the Iron Man armour apart from those two.

And yes, we don't need more Batman similarities. RDJ could still do a few more films, especially since most of the action is CGI and he only has to do the helmet interior shots.

9. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

Well, the one thing that separates Tony from Bruce Wayne is that he really is a playboy millionaire, not posing as one. :D

10. Lord

Lord All Mighty

Right now Robert Downey Junior owes his career to Marvel, Iron Man made him popular again, if things go as planed after The Avengers Marvel may not need him as much

11. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

I believe its the complete reversal. Iron Man resurrected RDJ's career but as of now Marvel needs him far more than RDJ needs Marvel. After his contract is up with IM3 he can chose to stay out of loyalty(cause I don't see Marvel throwing tons of money at him) or move on.

12. Sith Scotti

Sith Scotti Well-Known Member

Do you really want RDJ pulling a harrison Ford and be playing Iron Man while he is wearing depends ? ..... :awesome: 3 is enough . 4 if you count the Avengers film If Bond can replace Connery .....

13. Lord

Lord All Mighty

I sincerelly hope Marvel Cinematic Universe can become the next bond series with actors being recast different stories and villain, but in this case different genres being used.
    Pratically converting the marvel comics universe into cinema

14. Adamantium Man

Adamantium Man Just Another Metal Person

I'm really, really averse to seeing another actor play Tony Stark. I sincerely hope that RDJ will make a new contract with Marvel when his current one is done and come back for at least two more solo Iron Man movies, and two more Avengers. He's stated his love for the character, and that he'd be happy bouncing back and forth between Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes for the next ten years.

That said, Tony Stark is an enduring character that can survive a recast imo, if that recast is done well. If the MCU is to endure, recasts should be considered for all of the characters sooner or later. Bringing in new characters is risky, riskier than recasts. At least that's my take on it.

15. Aluchak

Aluchak Well-Known Member

"Well, you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in. You can't have it. "
    - Robert Downey Jr.

Seriously, though. If Robert Downey quits, NO MORE TONY STARK. Do not recast him. Not in the same film universe. 10, 20 years down the line I'd be pumped to see a new Iron Man, but I don't want to see a new one in THIS film universe. Even making Rhodey(and I hated Cheadle as Rhodey) would be better than recasting Tony Stark.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I think he can keep playing this role for a long time as long as he stays in shape. With the miracles in visuals and CG, it won't be hard to make him look younger or up to par on screen.

Even Roger Moore and Sean Connery played Bond well into their 50's. And Connery started the role as a young man who had competed in bodybuilding competitions. Though Moore started much, much older. He just can't get like Shatner and get tubby when he gets old ;) .

But yeah I really can't see anyone else playing the role besides Downey at this point. Though realistically, I'm sure someone could. I just don't want to see someone else do it :) . However, I see no reason he can't do it well into his 50's really.

17. fixxxer1022

fixxxer1022 Well-Known Member

in all fairness harrison is still a solid actor, age is not a factor. :cwink:

im sure downey will at least do im3 and 1 avengers sequel. after that i can see a reboot and a new actor being cast.

18. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

The ultimate goal should be getting downey in three more films; 2 avenger sequels and maybe an im4.

19. TheDragonator

TheDragonator Well-Known Member

Sam Jackson's about ten years older than Downey, and he's probably going to stay around.

Hopefully Iron Man will be the first superhero film to have a fourth installment that DOESN'T completely suck.

20. deathknell3000

A reboot so soon would be gay.

21. deathknell3000

Downey is smart and he loves the role. He won't agree to more sequels now but if The Avengers and Iron Man 3 are hits........ Well...... Then he can negotiate for a larger salary.

22. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

Didn't he say in an interview he was doing Iron Man 3 and then they'd go back to negotiating or something?

23. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

I feel the same.

24. deathknell3000

Most fans would disagree with both of you.

25. Superhero 101

I think he will just do the Avengers Sequels and after that Marvel will have recast someone else I mean 3 Iron Man movies and 3 Avengers Movies is good enough for him