Dr. Lecter Invites you to Dinner. The ''Hannibal'' Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you're going to see many American networks willing to bet on a show that entirely failed to pick up an audience. There is a very good chance that this winds up with about 1.5 million viewers before all is said and done. That is low even by cable standards now-a-days. And if the show doesn't get an American network behind it, the actors will pull and Gaumont will probably axe it. Part of me thinks that the show's best bet may be Netflix.

Renewal is always judged on the 18-49 demo. A 1.0 demo is fantastic for cable, terrible for broadcast.

Southland got 4 seasons on TNT with a lower demo and audiences around 1.5 million. USA kept Law & Order CI alive.

AMC and FX would love to have a show that earned a 0.9 because that's higher than what Justified or Mad Men gets. At least a few would want a quality drama that could earn them some nominations and score a 0.8 or 0.7.

Netflix almost saved The Killing but they worked out a deal with AMC that the third season will be available to stream a few months after the season is done.

You better be right Shifty, because you're filling me with hope! :argh:

Renewal is always judged on the 18-49 demo. A 1.0 demo is fantastic for cable, terrible for broadcast.

Southland got 4 seasons on TNT with a lower demo and audiences around 1.5 million. USA kept Law & Order CI alive.

AMC and FX would love to have a show that earned a 0.9 because that's higher than what Justified or Mad Men gets. At least a few would want a quality drama that could earn them some nominations and score a 0.8 or 0.7.

Netflix almost saved The Killing but they worked out a deal with AMC that the third season will be available to stream a few months after the season is done.

But to assume that the 1.0 is going to transfer to cable is a very risky assumption.

Furthermore, I don't see a network where the show fits. AMC isn't going to risk messing up their pristine brand with another channel's table scraps. Plus Mad Men is the exception. A 1.0 is generally **** for AMC. Mad Men is their prestige show though, so they give it a pass.

TNT, maybe....but I don't think it fits with their brand. Too dark for a network that is building itself into a somewhat edgier USA. Same with FX. They want to be somewhere between USA and AMC.

TBS wouldn't touch this show with a ten foot pole.

The only network that would take it, where I can see it fitting, is A&E. And I don't think the 1.0 would hold if it goes to A&E.

Plus there are still 7 more episodes in the middle of May Sweeps (and NBA/NHL playoffs). I highly doubt that this show is going to stop dropping. It'll probably be at an .5-.6 range before all is said and done. I don't see a cable network willing to take a chance on another network's table scraps that couldn't hold its own against real competition. Therefore, I think Netflix is the best bet.

You know, it is interesting, the episode that they cut, and put the fragmented scenes of online is probably the best episode so far. It is the first episode where characters actually come off as likeable. It is unfortunate that NBC decided to pull the episode.

But to assume that the 1.0 is going to transfer to cable is a very risky assumption.

Furthermore, I don't see a network where the show fits. AMC isn't going to risk messing up their pristine brand with another channel's table scraps. Plus Mad Men is the exception. A 1.0 is generally **** for AMC. Mad Men is their prestige show though, so they give it a pass.

TNT, maybe....but I don't think it fits with their brand. Too dark for a network that is building itself into a somewhat edgier USA. Same with FX. They want to be somewhere between USA and AMC.

TBS wouldn't touch this show with a ten foot pole.

The only network that would take it, where I can see it fitting, is A&E. And I don't think the 1.0 would hold if it goes to A&E.

Plus there are still 7 more episodes in the middle of May Sweeps (and NBA/NHL playoffs). I highly doubt that this show is going to stop dropping. It'll probably be at an .5-.6 range before all is said and done. I don't see a cable network willing to take a chance on another network's table scraps that couldn't hold its own against real competition. Therefore, I think Netflix is the best bet.

A 1.0 is actually great for AMC. Outside of The Walking Dead all their shows either get around 1.3 (Breaking Bad just last season) or 0.6 (Hell on Wheels, The Killing) or lower (reality). It would fit their network but they already have The Killing and Low Winter Sun for crime shows, plus other original programming in the works. However if those two shows bomb this summer maybe AMC works out a deal.

But yes that 1.0 may not appear but even a 0.7 would be fine with hopes that the audience would grow. FX has renewed The Americans with a lower number.

FX, FXX and FXM are increasing their original content and shifting shows from FX to FXX and it could fit on either FX or FXM. Also some people may have no idea that Hannibal even had a first season on NBC. They could do what TNT did with Southland and air the first season before rolling out the second season. Having a show that could fill 26 weeks next year for FX or FXM wouldn't be too bad.

TBS focuses on comedy so they wouldn't touch it. TNT would consider it, they've kept Southland on for four seasons and they're going with LA Noir this year so it could find a home there.

USA is going to try comedies with Modern Family reruns, maybe picking up Happy Endings and original comedy or two. Syfy would be more likely with the horror aspect.

A&E has renewed Bates Motel, not sure if they would want two film adaptations on their network. With no British connection, BBC America would pass.

AMC's sister network, Sundance Channel, could make a bid in hopes of attracting a larger audience to their channel. Rectify and Top of the Lake didn't even register ratings wise. Other channels could be Ion Television, Audience Network (or has DirecTV sworn off saving shows?) or Reelz Channel.

For whatever reason I'm more optimistic that this show will get a second season than I would for most shows in the same situation. Netflix could very well save the show if they were close to saving The Killing.

FX
FXM
Netflix
Syfy
TNT
AMC
Sundance

Hope this lasts because you can tell that everything is just starting to warm up.

Yea, it'd be really unfortunate if it got cut off before Fuller's plans started to be unveiled.

I really hope it doesn't get cut but I wouldn't mind if Netflix picked it up. If it does get cut, that's the best option I'd say.

one thing that messed up the ratings probably was that the 105 was online on wednesday night... but the official air date was on thurs

i'm a bit late, why did they pull that "Ceuf" episode?

Because they're stupid.

Well, their reasoning was because they were worried about offending people due to recent events like Newtown and the Boston bombing. But the real reason is because they're stupid.

The pulled episode is not more gratuitous than the angels episode but there is information that would've really helped the future episodes during the procedural stuff that was cut.

There's a scene in particular that was sandwiched between the scenes of Hannibal and Abigail at his house where Will's trying to figure out the next victim of the child murders and explains about passive psychological capture bonding where victim bonds with the capturer in order to survive. Um that's important, NBC!

one thing that messed up the ratings probably was that the 105 was online on wednesday night... but the official air date was on thurs

Hannibal aired in Canada Wednesday night.
A few American shows (The Office, Happy Endings, Parks and Rec) have been airing a day or two earlier in Canada than in America over the past couple of years. Always wondered what kind of impact that makes if 500 American Nielsen homes who are fans of a show decide to download it instead of watch live.

I'm enjoying this show too much to see it die. I do hope it sees more than just a couple of seasons. :(

I'd like Hannibal to be paired up with other one-hour shows next season, if it gets renewed, rather than being after comedies on Thursdays.

Just watched episode 3 and it was kind of weaksauce.
Some pretty shoddy dialogue and terrible acting from the younger supporting cast.
But Mikkelsen was really good in it, and I liked that there was fallout from his phone call to Hobbs.

I'm going to be significantly bummed if this show doesn't get picked up for a second season. There is a lot of potential in what's here already (some of the side actors could be better, and the show's pacing is off at times) and once we start getting into Hannibal's murders and the brewing cat/mouse stuff, it will pick up a lot.

Did any of you notice the yellow vest Will is wearing when Hannibal sniffs him is very similar to the one that Hobbs is wearing in slideshow photo with Abigail for the lecture Graham is giving on Hobbs?:huh:

Maybe I'm reading too much into how much can rub off on Will?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's intentional.

The show likes little details, like the stag statue in Hannibal's office.

"KSL is confident that with the proliferation of digital media, those who wish to view the program can easily do so."

In other words "Just download it, it's what's most of you are doing anyway."

What the hell is so hard about people just not watching shows they don't like??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"