Dr. Strange first trailer

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by Serban, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Rate the trailer...

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. P Supreme Registered

not familiar with the character but this looks amazing
    crazy that marvel is making movies out of characters no other studio would
    touch

2. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Dr. Strange's origin predates them both by a couple decades.

3. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

The Inception folding city was just one shot.

I'm fairly certain the entire movie will be wildly different from Inception.

4. -JKR- Registered

I'm sure the film will be wildy different from Inception. But when you have a character such as Doctor Strange and his crazy world, you expect to at least see glimpses of something visionary and out there. Think Tim Burton, Guillermo Del Toro, Terry Gilliam, Clive Barker, Wes Craven, John Carpenter (especially some of the crazy visuals from In the Mouth of Madness). There should be a real sense of wonder for something you haven't seen on the big screen yet. This looks so... normal... so far.

I hope they're really just holding back the crazier stuff, but so far I'm not impressed. It looks kinda bland for Doctor Strange.

#129 -JKR-, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

This was a terrific trailer. Loved the feel of it along with the music. I got chills when it said, "Open Your Mind." Cumberbatch looks top notch and this glimpse of the visuals makes me incredibly excited. If Ant Man is any indication, we're going to be going even further with the trippy visuals. This is just the tip of the iceberg. What it made me do is see Doctor Strange perform his spells.

I get the Matrix, BB, and Inception comparisons, but Strange pulls from those same sources or even wrote the book on them before these even existed. Hopefully this film can step up its game though in areas and go further.

6. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Remember, Marvel saved alot of money shots from Ant-Man for the second trailer and actual film.

I doubt this trailer showed all the best stuff.

7. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

yeah these were probably literally the most mundane, toe-in-the-water type shots they had (that had semi-finished CGI)

8. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

They showed like three trippy shots. Feige said we're gonna see something we've never seen before. I believe him. I mean did anyone expect that Ant Man scene to be that out there? Think what this is gonna be? This trailer was just the warm up yet it still got us excited for the film itself and wanting to see more.

9. Heretic Registered

I think the issue (with geeks who would know) is that Fiege promised visuals we've never seen before...and the first thing they show us is so blatantly something we've seen before.

Yes, we're all aware that more is coming and the effects aren't done. But people can only go on what they see...not what they assume might be coming down the pike.

10. Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Very solid trailer, more over it shows a lot of potential to go deeper.

11. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

There will be several more trailers and tv spots. This was meant just to be a tease.

You can't play your ace too early.

12. DACrowe Registered

That might be the strangest thing related to the trailer I have seen this morning. :hehe:

Kidding aside, I do hope and assume that they have more to the magical visuals than bending buildings. Of course, time will tell, but I would hope that they are saving the good original stuff for later trailers and even the movies.

13. Unbreakable Lex Criminal Mastermind

From what I've experienced, er... read, is that it's not so much the colors but the moving patterns (like what they did with the floor tiles) that give one that psychedelic mindbend.

14. Unbreakable Lex Criminal Mastermind

Even with that resemblance to inception, inception only had two dimensions with the city folding onto itself. There were at least 3, if not 4, versions of the city in this trailer. So it's already gone beyond what Inception had.

15. Heretic Registered

You are assuming there is an ace. I am also assuming that there is one...but it is not really "right" to judge this trailer based on an ace that we don't see and aren't sure even exists.

16. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I agree. I hope it's more creative than bend-y things. But what this trailer did so well was sell us on the origin and the character of Stephen Strange and the world he is about to enter. That alone was exciting.

17. Guard82 Registered

Wow, that teaser trailer was awesome! It looked fascinating and it clearly established the tone and mood of the movie. The world of the movie looks wonderfully mysterious and far-out, as well as intensely foreboding -- exactly how Doctor Strange's world is supposed to be. Benedict Cumberbatch looks like he's going to be great in this. Can't wait to see it in November.

18. ctsketch Registered

Well they showed some Astral projection too

19. vanson Registered

even then.. there is a guy who travels the world and trains in a monastery. And thats it.

The material is so vastly different on both sides, its hardly a rip off

20. javonstokess Registered

I'm literally at the point with Marvel Studios that I only need to see a teaser and nothing else.

That's how much confidence I have in them.

21. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Let me remind you again. The film is 8 months out. There is a TON of work remaining in post. What don't some of you guys get about this? It's a teaser just to let the fans nibble a little bit and to get excited.

22. Thegeekfreax Registered

Great trailer. So many cool visual

23. third3ye Registered

I applaud Marvel for going in a VERY different direction from their prior 13 films. If the Marvel Studios banner didn't pop up, I think the average person wouldn't know this was a Marvel film. While I wasn't particularly impressed by the first trailer, I also think they're holding back on all the good stuff for a later reveal - trippy astral plane visuals, spectral monsters, etc. Looking forward to seeing more in the future.

24. Heretic Registered

Ultimately, whether or not this is a good trailer depends on whether or not the general audience is hooked. They don't know about other-worldly visuals or ANYTHING that comic fans might expect. All they know is what they see in the trailer...and it is that trailer's job to get them excited about the movie (not some future trailer that may or may not contain speculated elements).

If the public decides that this is a "rip-off" of Nolan films, then that is not a good thing (and no, it doesn't matter that Dr Strange existed before the Nolan films). I'll say that I have seen quite a bit of that talk in my circle, but I don't know the entire internet. If people are intrigued by the concept and excited about seeing something from Marvel that feels a bit different, then it's a good thing. We'll see how it all pans out.

25. Corysxj88 Registered

I am hoping that this is just a teaser... I need to see him in action. I am excited for all the enchanting stuff and mind tripping stuff that we are going to (hopefully) see. I think this will be one of those movies that is just fun to watch.

To me, it wasn't anything special...but I will wait till the first official trailer comes out.