Dr. Strange: Rotten Tomato Watch Thread

I'm hoping for at least 80% & a 7.0 avg. rating, but I'd be happy enough for a 70-75% & a 6.5-7.0 avg....This was always going to be more difficult to adapt imho. And once word got out that Gaiman offered to write a script, you knew some critics would be even more scrupulous when evaluating this.

All the early critics reactions are very positive so somewhere between 80%-85% on RT.

I'm shooting for 80% since the initial reactions from critics seems pretty dang positive.

Based from previous films, there's really no middle ground. Either it falls on the mid-to-high 70s range, or high 80s-lower 90s range. Judging from the tweets, it seems like high 70s is most probable, with a shot at high 80s.

early reaction giving me an Ant-Man level type of RT score vibe. Even though in retrospect Ant Man early RT score was pretty worrisome but I think this one will come out stronger out the gate.

I'm just happy that this movie is even possible and that it happened....and it's above average-great. And now that we got the origin story out of the way we are gonna go for the gold in the sequel! :D *please make money!*

Legitimately no clue on this one. I'd like it to be 75+, personally.

The steak continues! 80% seems like the floor based on early tweets

75+ seems a pretty reasonable guess. I mean, only 3/14 movies did worse than that.

Well judging from early reactions and the embargo lifting very early this should still not be Marvel Studios' first rotten film which some have been eagerly waiting for (but it's all rigged so it doesn't really matter, I'm pretty sure critics are controlled by members of the medias anyway).

If I had to make a prediction I think is should fall in the 73/78% range.
I'm seeing the movie on Tuesday so maybe I'll revise it then.

I have actually been wondering for a while which one of the upcoming MCU movies will be Marvel Studios' first critical dud. I mean, let's be real, at some point it has to happen, whether we like it or not. I can only hope it's not one of the movies I care about. :o

But uh, yeah, based on what the critics are saying my prediction is middle 70s/low 80s, with an average rating of... 7.0-7.5. Maybe.

Last edited:
I have actually been wondering for a while which one of the upcoming MCU movies will be Marvel Studios' first critical dud. I mean, let's be real, at some point it has to happen, whether we like it or not. I can only hope it's not one of the movies I care about. :o

But uh, yeah, based on what the critics are saying my prediction is middle 70s/low 80s, with an average rating of... 7.0-7.5. Maybe.
I'm worried that it will either be Spider-Man or BP. Maybe not so much the RT score, but whether I enjoy them myself.

I think it'll be Thor. Maybe third time will be the charm, but based from previous movies, the studio hasn't really been able to crack that franchise like they do the others.

I think it'll be Thor. Maybe third time will be the charm, but based from previous movies, the studio hasn't really been able to crack that franchise like they do the others.

Not a chance it's Thor. Look at who's directing it.

It has a good shot at nailing that same sense of adoration that GOTG caused. Many critics, the Academy, and even Actors, feel that was the best MCU film and Taika Waititi is like a master class director version of James Gunn. Hunt for the Wilder People will likely be nominated for Best Picture next year and What We Do in the Shadows was spectacular.

The only upcoming MCU film that gives me cause for the RT score is Ant-Man and the Wasp.

There won't be any duds.

There were already duds name Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2.

And yet they were all fresh.

There won't be any duds.

There were already duds name Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2.

And yet they were all fresh.

I always say that if these are considred the MCU duds,Marvel is in a pretty damn good shape.

I always say that if these are considred the MCU duds,Marvel is in a pretty damn good shape.

I think Thor2 gets a bad rep. It was pretty generic and shallow but was entertaining and fun still - Kinda like the old 90s/2000s superhero movies. Likewise I enjoyed the Incredible Hulk movie too (albeit some of the effects were a bit patchy and Norton has one of those faces you want to slap).

IMO Iron Man 2 is the only real "dud" from Marvel. It really doesn't work well as a film on its own and you can pick holes in the entire plot and characters far too easily. Whiplash was pretty awful.

I think the duds mentioned still work as decent movies. Even if the story isn't great they're still well put together as a finished product.
Look at Fan4stic and Suicide Squad and they're barely finished sloppily edited messes with way to many executive/marketing cooks in the kitchen. Thor 2 may be dull but it was at least a consistent movie.

I'll take Iron Man 2 over the 2 Thor films anyday.
But that does not make any of those movies critical duds as they've all been fairly well received. I think the riskiest film to come on that front is Spider-Man Homecoming. We still don't know precisely how much creative control Sony retains over the final product (and namely over the final cut seeing how they botched the Amazing Spider-Man films in the editing room), it will be the second reboot within 5 years in an extremely crowded year for comic book movies. Even if the film is good I feel it is going to be an uphill battle with critics.

I think skipping the origin for Spider-Man will work in their favour. Problem with TASM movies was re-telling the origin then rushing to set up a universe. Coupled with bad writing it was dead from the get go. When Sony rebooted the franchise, they should have skipped the origin and do what Marvel is doing.

I think skipping the origin for Spider-Man will work in their favour. Problem with TASM movies was re-telling the origin then rushing to set up a universe. Coupled with bad writing it was dead from the get go. When Sony rebooted the franchise, they should have skipped the origin and do what Marvel is doing.

Retreading the origin certainly didn't do them any favors, but I think that was a symptom of a larger problem. Outside of that, they still never managed to do anything inventive or satisfying with the character(s), and there was an overall lack of focus when it came to the plot and setting as well. TASM 2 ended up being far worse sans the origin (even though they called back to it enough times).

I'm only worried about Homecoming because Spidey is my favorite character, and the director is a bit of an unknown for me. I've liked what I've seen so far, though. Cast is stellar, and Holland hit it out of the park in CW.

I don't even worry at all anymore, if it happens it happens, I'll still be going along for the ride... No way Black Panther is bad imo, and I have faith in spider-man homecoming based on what I've heard...I'm even all in on Thor Ragnarok which is low key my most anticipated phase 3 film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"