Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

Yeah 2 gens of extra power under the hood!
It's easy to forget, and hard to believe, that Skyrim actually came out during the PS3/360 gen. and that last gen saw no new mainline Elder Scrolls game. So yeah, it will be 2 gens of extra power. Heck, it may even be 3 gens......lol.

Isn't there an option in settings to turn that off? I think it's called Persistent Gore or something.

Yeah I think so but I never turned it off because I got the impression that it would remove gore from the fighting as well and I wanted it there.

It's easy to forget, and hard to believe, that Skyrim actually came out during the PS3/360 gen. and that last gen saw no new mainline Elder Scrolls game. So yeah, it will be 2 gens of extra power. Heck, it may even be 3 gens......lol.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for more obscure PS4 sword and sorcery RPG games that are comparable to Skyrim? I’ve beaten DAI, Diablo 3 and Lords of the Fallen. I’ve attempted Dark Souls 3 but it’s damn near impossible to get anywhere. I started Bloodborne and it’s cool but I’m craving something more medieval. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Yeah but that hardly matters when they are still using the same archaic game engine they used for Skyrim.

I doubt that happens again. I’d expect a minimum of a Fallout and Elder Scrolls every gen now and Microsoft will pay what’s necessary to make that happen. Team size is the only restriction and they are all aggressively expanding. You don’t need more than 7 years to turn out a top quality, massive game with layers of depth if you have enough employees and also partner studios (which are going to be plentiful now) to help out on certain elements.

Yeah but that hardly matters when they are still using the same archaic game engine they used for Skyrim.
I thought they were working on a new engine. I hope so, because it would be extremely disappointing if the next ES and Fallout games used the same archaic game engine from before.

I doubt that happens again. I’d expect a minimum of a Fallout and Elder Scrolls every gen now and Microsoft will pay what’s necessary to make that happen. Team size is the only restriction and they are all aggressively expanding. You don’t need more than 7 years to turn out a top quality, massive game with layers of depth if you have enough employees and also partner studios (which are going to be plentiful now) to help out on certain elements.
Yes. That should be a benefit of having the backing of MS.

Of course, the big question that remains is if big franchises like ES and Fallout will become Xbox exclusives in some shape or form.

I'll admit, now that I am less inclined to get the new Xbox (as I outlined in the Xbox thread), if ES and Fallout become Xbox exclusives, then I will have less interest in these franchises overall. It would certainly give me more reason to look at getting a Series X in the future. But with the newly discovered additional costs of adding a 2nd new gen console to my media setup, I'm not sure if these Bethesda games will be enough. Especially as they are more 1st person focused.

As long as Bioware games like DA and ME stay multi-plat, as well as From Software games like Elden Ring and future Souls games, I feel like I can "sacrifice" Bethesda games.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for more obscure PS4 sword and sorcery RPG games that are comparable to Skyrim? I’ve beaten DAI, Diablo 3 and Lords of the Fallen. I’ve attempted Dark Souls 3 but it’s damn near impossible to get anywhere. I started Bloodborne and it’s cool but I’m craving something more medieval. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
I'm interested in this too.

The one I can think of off the top of my head would be Dragon's Dogma.

Yeah I think so but I never turned it off because I got the impression that it would remove gore from the fighting as well and I wanted it there.
I always thought it meant gore staying on your character outside of combat.

Yes. That should be a benefit of having the backing of MS.

Of course, the big question that remains is if big franchises like ES and Fallout will become Xbox exclusives in some shape or form.

I'll admit, now that I am less inclined to get the new Xbox (as I outlined in the Xbox thread), if ES and Fallout become Xbox exclusives, then I will have less interest in these franchises overall. It would certainly give me more reason to look at getting a Series X in the future. But with the newly discovered additional costs of adding a 2nd new gen console to my media setup, I'm not sure if these Bethesda games will be enough. Especially as they are more 1st person focused.

As long as Bioware games like DA and ME stay multi-plat, as well as From Software games like Elden Ring and future Souls games, I feel like I can "sacrifice" Bethesda games.

Yeah this is why I’m going to hold off on getting a next gen system until we know what Bethesda is doing. I NEED to play those games so if they are XBox exclusives, then I guess I’m going to have to trade up. I hope not though because I prefer PlayStation’s controllers. Although I guess if Dragon Age 4 or Diablo 4 come out first, then I might have to make a decision because I don’t want to wait to play those games.

I'm interested in this too.

The one I can think of off the top of my head would be Dragon's Dogma.

Nice, thank you! Haven’t played that one yet.

No sorcery, but Kingdom Come: Deliverance is bloody awesome. It is a killer historical RPG set in medieval Bohemia. Think Skyrim set in the world of Crusader Kings...

Sorry, @Iceman, but the last thing I want is mass-produced generic Elder Scrolls games by new studios built from the ground up by MS to cash in the IP. Partner studios and the like is a recipe for ruining what I love about Bethesda's oeuvre. Despite throwing buckets of money at them, MS cannot even get it's dedicated Halo developer producing anything close to the Bungie days. And look what happened when EA built BioWare Montreal to churn out Mass Effect games...

For the love of God, just let Todd and his team do their thing, no strings, no editorial notes, no corporate directives.

No sorcery, but Kingdom Come: Deliverance is bloody awesome. It is a killer historical RPG set in medieval Bohemia. Think Skyrim set in the world of Crusader Kings...

Thanks; I tried that one on PSNow but I got turned off because it’s first person. But it sounds like I should give it another shot.

Yeah this is why I’m going to hold off on getting a next gen system until we know what Bethesda is doing. I NEED to play those games so if they are XBox exclusives, then I guess I’m going to have to trade up. I hope not though because I prefer PlayStation’s controllers. Although I guess if Dragon Age 4 or Diablo 4 come out first, then I might have to make a decision because I don’t want to wait to play those games.

Nice, thank you! Haven’t played that one yet.
I don't have the same level of love or attachment for Bethesda games as you do. I have enjoyed them for what they are. But if I had a choice, ultimately I feel I could live without them should they go Xbox exclusive.

Now, if Bioware games like DA 4 or the next ME game, or a game like Diablo 4, were to go Xbox exclusive, that would be a bigger deal for me.

Final Fantasy 16 being Playstation console exclusive (timed or otherwise) is a big deal for me. When they revealed and announced FF 16 as being PS console exclusive, and showed off more of Demon's Souls, that's what sold me on the PS5. And then literally, a few hours later, the preorders went live and I endured a 7 hour marathon session to preorder the PS5 from Best Buy.......haha.

And most future JRPGs will have a higher chance of coming to Playstation than Xbox. Like the Granblue Fantasy Relink game coming to PS4/PS5 in 2022.

Ah, didn’t know that about Final Fantasy and PlayStation. As much of an RPG nut as I am, I’ve somehow never played a FF game. I’m not even sure why. Maybe that “Spirits Within” movie way back when turned me off, lol.

Serious question. Is the title “Demon’s Souls” a spelling/grammatical error, or does the game revolve around one demon with multiple souls? Because if it’s not, shouldn’t it be “Demons’ Souls”?

Ah, didn’t know that about Final Fantasy and PlayStation. As much of an RPG nut as I am, I’ve somehow never played a FF game. I’m not even sure why. Maybe that “Spirits Within” movie way back when turned me off, lol.

Serious question. Is the title “Demon’s Souls” a spelling/grammatical error, or does the game revolve around one demon with multiple souls? Because if it’s not, shouldn’t it be “Demons’ Souls”?
Well, I'd say Spirits Within is not really representative of what FF is all about.....haha.

If you're an RPG nut, I'd definitely encourage you to try at least one FF game. Though, the thing about FF games, is that each one has a different feel and style to it (with certain shared themes and commonalities). So, it may be hard to know where to start if you've never played a FF game.

For the most recent games, I'd say check out FF VII Remake or FF XV.

And that's a good point about Demon's Souls......lol. You are slaying multiple demons for multiple souls, so technically it should be called Demons' Souls....haha.

I just usually refer to it as Demon Souls. Easier to say!

Well, I'd say Spirits Within is not really representative of what FF is all about.....haha.

If you're an RPG nut, I'd definitely encourage you to try at least one FF game. Though, the thing about FF games, is that each one has a different feel and style to it (with certain shared themes and commonalities). So, it may be hard to know where to start if you've never played a FF game.

For the most recent games, I'd say check out FF VII Remake or FF XV.

And that's a good point about Demon's Souls......lol. You are slaying multiple demons for multiple souls, so technically it should be called Demons' Souls....haha.

I just usually refer to it as Demon Souls. Easier to say!

Yeah I was thinking of getting the FF VII remake. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Since remakes are all the rage, you know what game I’d love to see on a next-gen platform? Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest), the OG RPG. I doubt it would ever happen, but I think it would be awesome if they took the first three of those games and merged it into one huge RPG with modern graphics, gameplay, voice acting, etc. Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I ever played and also the first game I ever beat. It was groundbreaking in its time because it was like a whole new way of playing a game. I know the DQ games are still really popular but they don’t really relate back to the first three, which had a pretty closely knit story before breaking away from the Erdrick legend. On that note, the fourth game could also make for a great remake, as it was pretty huge in its time.

None of this will ever happen but it’s nice to dream lol.

Yeah I was thinking of getting the FF VII remake. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Since remakes are all the rage, you know what game I’d love to see on a next-gen platform? Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest), the OG RPG. I doubt it would ever happen, but I think it would be awesome if they took the first three of those games and merged it into one huge RPG with modern graphics, gameplay, voice acting, etc. Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I ever played and also the first game I ever beat. It was groundbreaking in its time because it was like a whole new way of playing a game. I know the DQ games are still really popular but they don’t really relate back to the first three, which had a pretty closely knit story before breaking away from the Erdrick legend. On that note, the fourth game could also make for a great remake, as it was pretty huge in its time.

None of this will ever happen but it’s nice to dream lol.
I vaguely remember playing a bit of Dragon Warrior/Quest on the NES when I was a kid. At that time, I just did not find the whole concept of a traditional RPG very appealing. The only kind of RPG that I liked or would consider playing were the Zelda games.

But, the traditional RPG, with the text-heavy and menu-heavy interface, all the stats and #s, and the "static" turnbased combat - all of that just bored me and kind of went over my little kid's head.....haha.

I would try playing various traditional RPGs throughout my early gaming years (like the early Final Fantasy games) but I just could never get into them.

It wasn't until I played Super Mario RPG and Breath of Fire 2 on the SNES, and then FF VII on the PS1, that I really started getting into and enjoying RPGs. As I got older, I found the story and character driven focus of RPGs more appealing, as well as managing all the stats, levels, and #s. And since then, I would say the RPG has become my favorite gaming genre.

So I would certainly love to see a modern remake of classic RPGs like Dragon Warrior/Quest, as well as some of the early FF games like IV and VI. Remakes of those games with the modern, updated graphical fidelity of the VII Remake would be amazing!

At the very least, I think they should release remastered collections/compilations of those classic RPG series so that today's gamers can enjoy and experience those games on current consoles.

To me, it seems like a no-brainer to release a FF Collection or a Dragon Quest collection that compiles all of the older games onto one disc. I think it would be easy money, and frankly I'm shocked we still haven't seen them.

Yeah, I can still remember how jarring it was when I first played that type of game and thinking to myself, "Wait, so I don't actually see myself attack the monsters?" But then I grew to love the format.

Also, it turns out they DID remake it in a semi-modern way, though it's a tad disappointing. I feel like if you're going to remake a game for a modern system, then just do it the Final Fantasy way instead of weird hybrid thing where you modernize some artwork but otherwise it's the same game. Perhaps I should just play some of the newer Dragon Quest games so I can have the best of both worlds but I can't help it; I'd love to see them go all in on the Erdrick storyline or the Zenithia one from Dragon Warrior IV with modern graphics. It could be so epic if they do.

I just downloaded the mobile game (DW1 remake). Ahhh, nostaglia.

Last edited:

EA actually planned this as a GaaS... :funny:

EA plans everything as a GAAS. If you showed them Ocarina of Time they wouldn’t understand it. How can it be considered good without microtransactions, multiplayer and dripfed content?

I think EA, among other companies, dreams of GAAS as a way to monopolize the market. Its not just that GAAS provides a continuing revenue stream, but that a properly paced and marketed GAAS monopolizes the *time* of the players. The end goal would be for a given customer to play one such game and one such game only, with it taking up all their leisure time and budget, leaving no room for any other publisher to sell them anything.

The problem, of course, being that a large chunk of the customer base is just completely uninterested in that dynamic from square one. . . and even those open to a "lifestyle" game actually demand a *lot* more content and quality than is easy to provide. MMOs are expensive to develop for a reason, and stuff like looter shooters may be cheaper to develop, but they also don't dominate the lifestyle in the same way.

EA actually planned this as a GaaS... :funny:

Even the language of this tweet, that EA "allowed" Bioware to make the game they wanted to make is telling of how authoritarian they are. I'm really hoping this game is a return to form for Bioware, because if they had continued along the same path and if this was another Anthem-esque game as service debacle, it might've been the end of the company.

Good news; when it comes to RPGs, I like them to be single player. It’s why I haven’t gotten very far in Elder Scrolls online. I wish there was some way that the game could just ignore all other players so I don’t have to constantly see random people zipping around my screen at 90 mph. It’s so annoying.

Even the language of this tweet, that EA "allowed" Bioware to make the game they wanted to make is telling of how authoritarian they are. I'm really hoping this game is a return to form for Bioware, because if they had continued along the same path and if this was another Anthem-esque game as service debacle, it might've been the end of the company.
Exactly. How thoroughly decent of them to allow something like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"