Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

BUT BUT BUT THOSE TYPE OF GAMES AREN'T POPULAR ANYMORE! GAMERS WANT LIVE SERVICE GAMES! EA EXECUTIVES SAID SO!

BUT BUT BUT THOSE TYPE OF GAMES AREN'T POPULAR ANYMORE! GAMERS WANT LIVE SERVICE GAMES! EA EXECUTIVES SAID SO!
That was never the actual argument. It is a question of attempting to make the most profit possible. It's crappy, but it is obvious why they did it.

Eh, some EA reps *did* say "single player isn't popular anymore" at some times in the past. Its just, I don't think anyone ever believed that as more than self-serving marketing BS.

That was never the actual argument. It is a question of attempting to make the most profit possible. It's crappy, but it is obvious why they did it.

EA Says People Don't Really Enjoy Linear Games As Much Today

"As we kept reviewing the game, it continued to look like a much more linear game [which] people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or 10 years ago," Jorgensen said during the Credit Suisse Technology, Media & Telecom Conference this week (via DualShockers).

EA shutting down Visceral Games, overhauling Star Wars game (update)

“Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace,” Söderlund said. “It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

Vile do you ever actually read the post you are responding to? I know what EA said. My point is it was always BS. Everyone knows people still play single player games. Classic deflection tactics from the company who brought us "Surprise Mechanics". EA, like all the other companies saw how much post-release revenue a few games were making off microtransactions for their MPs, and they wanted it. They saw the single player games for t one and done revenue stream, because that is what they are. When a great SP game sells well, it isn't about the profits they make, it is about all the money they didn't make because there was no constant post-release revenue streams. Everyone tried to make the next PUBG, GTA Online, Fortnight, etc. Companies went bust doing it, because the chance of a never ending stream of cash for minimal effort is what all these companies want.

I can't believe you actually used quotes form the company known for lying all the time, as like some sort of justification for how they were being honest. Of course they weren't. :doh:

Eh, some EA reps *did* say "single player isn't popular anymore" at some times in the past. Its just, I don't think anyone ever believed that as more than self-serving marketing BS.
Yes, I know. Read my post. "It was never the actual argument". You even said it was self-serving marketing BS. So clearly it wasn't the actual argument for why they were attempting to move away from there.

Vile do you ever actually read the post you are responding to? I know what EA said. My point is it was always BS. Everyone knows people still play single player games. Classic deflection tactics from the company who brought us "Surprise Mechanics". EA, like all the other companies saw how much post-release revenue a few games were making off microtransactions for their MPs, and they wanted it. They saw the single player games for t one and done revenue stream, because that is what they are. When a great SP game sells well, it isn't about the profits they make, it is about all the money they didn't make because there was no constant post-release revenue streams. Everyone tried to make the next PUBG, GTA Online, Fortnight, etc. Companies went bust doing it, because the chance of a never ending stream of cash for minimal effort is what all these companies want.

I can't believe you actually used quotes form the company known for lying all the time, as like some sort of justification for how they were being honest. Of course they weren't. :doh:

My initial post was intentional sarcasm. I said it because it's another example of the idiocy of EA executives who said the things like what I quoted above when they are constantly proven wrong.

And now EA and BioWare have just completely pivoted on the next Dragon Age because of the embarrassment and failure of ANTHEM, a live-service game. A game where Andrew Wilson blamed the players for not enjoying the content it offers.

It's all phony corporate speak. It's all phony BS. They are phony.

My initial post was intentional sarcasm. I said it because it's another example of the idiocy of EA executives who said the things like what I quoted above when they are constantly proven wrong.

And now EA and BioWare have just completely pivoted on the next Dragon Age because of the embarrassment and failure of ANTHEM, a live-service game. A game where Andrew Wilson blamed the players for not enjoying the content it offers.

It's all phony corporate speak. It's all phony BS. They are phony.
Then your intentional sarcasm missed the mark by a mile, because in your first paragraph, you got it wrong, again. EA executives knew that wasn't the truth. They weren't "proven wrong". It was their lame excuse for pivoting their bigger franchise into what they saw as a more lucrative revenue stream. Which it is. Let's not act like Fortnight and GTA Online don't do the numbers they do. GTA Online got so popular, they cancelled the single player expansion for GTA V, because it they were making too much money to "waste" time on it.

They pivoted on Dragon Age awhile ago, because Anthem failed. Of course. How does that in anyway mean they actually thought people don't play single player games anymore? They haven't stopped releasing single player games. More over, these tactics crossed over into their MP games as well.

Fortnite and GTA Online are free to play. Anthem is not.

Fortnite and GTA Online are free to play. Anthem is not.
Call of Duty isn't. Same with the NBA 2K series and EA's own FIFA series. All three work on the same principle, though with a yearly surcharge. There has been multiple ways of trying to do this. Destiny was another, which is why Activision gave up on it, when they realized the release window for actual content was never going to work. EA tried it a different way with Battlefront 2.

Still I am waiting to hear how EA actually thought single player games were dead.

Didn't even Assassin's Creed attempt to move to that model, to try and make money the same way off single player.

53dcd11830fd21d25ab4243f12c5c8a4.jpg

Thanks anti-semetic stereotype, you get it.

Call of Duty isn't. Same with the NBA 2K series and EA's own FIFA series. All three work on the same principle, though with a yearly surcharge. There has been multiple ways of trying to do this. Destiny was another, which is why Activision gave up on it, when they realized the release window for actual content was never going to work. EA tried it a different way with Battlefront 2.

Still I am waiting to hear how EA actually thought single player games were dead.

FIFA and NBA are sports games though. And Destiny is another good example of why this is a failing system. They ran out of steam by Destiny 2 and Activision was not happy.

An EA executive claimed publicly that single-player games were not popular anymore, and he was wrong. It was a blatant lie.

The point is that EA made that their mission statement in public. They know its BS. We know its BS. But they tried to make it the reality last decade. And now they are trying to pivot and walk back because they failed to make it a reality. So they deserve scorn for being totally full of **** on both counts.

FIFA and NBA are sports games though. And Destiny is another good example of why this is a failing system. They ran out of steam by Destiny 2 and Activision was not happy.

An EA executive claimed publicly that single-player games were not popular anymore, and he was wrong. It was a blatant lie.
What about FIFA and NBA 2K being sports games have to do with anything? I use to buy them yearly. The monetization has changed their annual release tremendously, to skew them towards their microtransaction route. Ultimate Team is what makes FIFA so valuable, why they can basically release the same game every year, and why I don't play it anymore. Destiny is an example of being forced to release an unfinished game on a deadline, twice.

A lie does not make them wrong. You can't say, "they lied" and then be like "they were wrong" in the same sentence where the lie is what you are saying they got wrong. It defies logic. You know they didn't mean it, it was their excuse for doing it. They didn't stop making single player games and never intended to. I mean... come on. :funny:

This has caused me to look up NBA 2K and see their recent special edition which....

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes.

What about FIFA and NBA 2K being sports games have to do with anything? I use to buy them yearly. The monetization has changed their annual release tremendously, to skew them towards their microtransaction route. Ultimate Team is what makes FIFA so valuable, why they can basically release the same game every year, and why I don't play it anymore. Destiny is an example of being forced to release an unfinished game on a deadline, twice.

A lie does not make them wrong. You can't say, "they lied" and then be like "they were wrong" in the same sentence where the lie is what you are saying they got wrong. It defies logic. You know they didn't mean it, it was their excuse for doing it. They didn't stop making single player games and never intended to. I mean... come on. :funny:

I stand by what I said. Games as a live service are a scam. EA executives lied. BioWare lied about Anthem too.

The point is that EA made that their mission statement in public. They know its BS. We know its BS. But they tried to make it the reality last decade. And now they are trying to pivot and walk back because they failed to make it a reality. So they deserve scorn for being totally full of **** on both counts.

Pretty much. While its not true that the actual market for single player games ever vanished, it was definitely true that EA was using its considerable marketing muscle to try and make it so. Hence why the blatant lie by EA was so important.

The footage and concept art of Tevinter makes it look like a mid-evil fantasy version of Gotham from Batman Arkham Knight.

I mean, that isn't necessarily inappropriate. Tevinter is both probably the most advanced civilization on the planet, and also a complete hellhole of slavery, blood sacrifice, and demons.

Yeah, there’s a lot you can do with Tevinter. It’s exciting to see and since this game takes place there, I hope that means Dorian comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"