Dragonball HQ - Part 1

So to anyone who's watched the show up to this point, do any of the characters talk about how weird it is for Trunks to be 'together' with Mai? I assume they're together because of anime tropes. :p

She's only at least three times his age, being at least a teenager when his father was young. I mean she was about the same age she was in the future as she was when she was first seen in DB and that was something like 40 years ago?

So to anyone who's watched the show up to this point, do any of the characters talk about how weird it is for Trunks to be 'together' with Mai? I assume they're together because of anime tropes. :p

She's only at least three times his age, being at least a teenager when his father was young. I mean she was about the same age she was in the future as she was when she was first seen in DB and that was something like 40 years ago?

No mention of their relationship yet or explanation for her being around the same age as him in the future.

Any word on when the English dub of Super will come out?

I heard July at the earliest but no specifics.

No mention of their relationship yet or explanation for her being around the same age as him in the future.

I get the same age in the future since I'd assume she ages normally as the wish was just to make them younger. I assume they're together just because the whole 'tragic romance' thing is a well played out thing in practically everything.

Is the new series any good fellas or should I just skip it?

Personally, DBS bores me most of the time. At first I was excited knowing that they'd revisit both recent Movies, and get more time to develop the story. But the fight between Goku and Beerus, which was fun to watch in the Movie, turned into a total snore fest in the anime, that dragged for a number of Episodes. Tried to watch the Frieza arc, but just couldn't be bothered to sit through that, so I can't tell you if that actually went better than the Beerus arc.

Tuned back in for the Fighting Tournament between worlds, and that's where I thought things finally got interesting. And unlike the first arc, fights didn't drag on forever. It had a nice pace, and if anything, you wanted to see more of the action. After that, I tuned out again, nothing noteworthy must have happened, because otherwise the internet would have talked about it. And now I tuned back in for the Trunks arc. Which seems really interesting, the action is almost back to what we we're normally used from DBZ. Though the story still drags. I think everything that happened in the first 3 Episodes of Trunk's arc, could have been told in 1 Episode, but the rest of the screen time is simply wasted on chibi Trunks and Pilaf's gang doing shenanigans.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit questionable. Must investigate further.

Thanks for the review Nathan.

I get the same age in the future since I'd assume she ages normally as the wish was just to make them younger. I assume they're together just because the whole 'tragic romance' thing is a well played out thing in practically everything.

So we're just assuming that the Pilaf gang made the wish to Shenron in Trunk's timeline the same they did in the regular timeline? I guess there's nothing to really contradict that, but how they survived that long is pretty questionable lol.

Isn't the Trunks from Super the Trunks from the 'present' grown up? I thought I heard it was supposed to be a direct continuation of that timeline before he came back to change it like his other self did a few years back.

So that just means everything up to that point is the same until he came back.

I think? Time travel is awkward to talk about sometimes. :p

It's actually Trunks from the Android Saga. There are a few flashbacks that show you he's been to the past before, and they use scenes from DBZ. I think there's actually no way for Mai to exist in Trunk's timeline. Well, depends on when they made the wish in the past. After all, the Dragon Balls ceased to exist, when Piccolo got killed by the Androids in Trunk's timeline.

Last edited:
They could've made the wish before Piccolo died. Its never really specified when they make the wish in the current timeline. It would make Mai only a few years older than Trunks. Not too big of a deal.

Anyways I'm really loving the new arc. Very curious to see where they go with Black.

Episode 4 of Trunk's arc was a lot better. Focused a lot more on the story, and less on Pilaf's gang. Art in this Episode was hit or miss. There were moments when the art returned back to form and looked like DBZ during its best days, and then it went back to the lowly detailed mess the show has been for most of its run.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit questionable. Must investigate further.

Thanks for the review Nathan.

I saw a while ago a list of episodes worth watching. I've watched all of Super currently, so I'll try to recreate by my own opinions.

Watch episode 1 and 2 as an introduction to the series. Skip 3-14 as it's mostly a worse retelling of Battle of Gods. Watch 15-18, as some decent stuff happens here. Skip 19-27 as it's "Resurrection F" done worse. Watch the films in place of these skipped episodes. Watch 28-42 as it's the Tournament arc and pretty good. 43-46 is questionable, it can be skipped but it's not the worst thing ever. If you skip those, pick back up at 47-to current for the current Trunks arc.

The show is definitely a lot better, when they don't have to adapt already told stories. It was just sad how boring the retelling of Beerus's Movie was. And almost comically drawn out, without any of the excitement like the battle between Goku and Frieza. Even Vegeta, who pretty much immediately freaks out in the Movie after Beerus slaps Bulma, convulses in agony, for what felt like a minute in the show, before he powers up.

I saw a while ago a list of episodes worth watching. I've watched all of Super currently, so I'll try to recreate by my own opinions.

Watch episode 1 and 2 as an introduction to the series. Skip 3-14 as it's mostly a worse retelling of Battle of Gods. Watch 15-18, as some decent stuff happens here. Skip 19-27 as it's "Resurrection F" done worse. Watch the films in place of these skipped episodes. Watch 28-42 as it's the Tournament arc and pretty good. 43-46 is questionable, it can be skipped but it's not the worst thing ever. If you skip those, pick back up at 47-to current for the current Trunks arc.
Thank you. :up:

The show is definitely a lot better, when they don't have to adapt already told stories. It was just sad how boring the retelling of Beerus's Movie was. And almost comically drawn out, without any of the excitement like the battle between Goku and Frieza. Even Vegeta, who pretty much immediately freaks out in the Movie after Beerus slaps Bulma, convulses in agony, for what felt like a minute in the show, before he powers up.
It feels kind of unnecessary and a waste of time quite frankly for them to adapt both of the movies for the show.

That could have easily been written around it by simply placing all the new material after the event of the films, so they wouldn't have to approach it in such a convoluted/sub par mess.

Kinda wishing they would pick up the pace a bit. Hopefully the next episode sheds more light on Black and his plans.

Babidi's wizardry intrigues me. My thinking is that a wizard's magic is a form of ki manipulation that doesn't require the user to achieve the kind of mind and body balance you tend to see in other ki users. Hence Babidi and Bibidi being really scrawny, almost atrophied looking.

Dragon Ball Super has returned after the one week break. I really enjoy the whole mystery surrounding Black. I think we pretty much know now who he is, but there's still the question of how he came to be and why he looks exactly like Goku.

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Super has returned after the one week break. I really enjoy the whole mystery surrounding Black. I think we pretty much know now who he is, but there's still the question of how he came to be and why he looks exactly like Goku.

Well, if it is the Kai from universe 10, he could've gone to the otherworld and picked out the strongest fighter there to use as a vessel of sorts. We all know it's "easier" to train in the otherworld, so by the time this Kai comes around, Goku would be quite powerful.

I'm not certain it's Zamasu behind all of this, though. He did seem to have some anger issues, so in Trunks' alternate timeline, something could've happened to piss him off badly (like the old kai dying), but I'm not ruling out the older kai himself being behind it. His green potara earrings are the same as the one Black wears and it's making my Spidey-sense tingle real bad.

Pretty sure we're dealing with a bootstrap time paradox here.

Annoyed me that he kept referring to Goku as a human, when they said he was a saiyan.

Someone said it's a mistranslation. Every time he says human, he means mortals in general. So he basically hates all creations, not just earthlings.

*Edit*

Listened to a review, and he explained it better. Every time they say Ningen/Humans, that means all lifeforms. For example, the entire Ginyu Force, Recoome, Jeeze, Burter, etc. Those would be all Ningen/Humans. Earthlings specifically are Chikyūjin. So every time Zamasu refers to Goku as a Ningen/Human, he doesn't mean born of earth. He's just one of the many lifeforms created by the Gods.

Last edited:
Someone said it's a mistranslation. Every time he says human, he means mortals in general. So he basically hates all creations, not just earthlings.

*Edit*

Listened to a review, and he explained it better. Every time they say Ningen/Humans, that means all lifeforms. For example, the entire Ginyu Force, Recoome, Jeeze, Burter, etc. Those would be all Ningen/Humans. Earthlings specifically are Chikyūjin. So every time Zamasu refers to Goku as a Ningen/Human, he doesn't mean born of earth. He's just one of the many lifeforms created by the Gods.

Ah ok that makes sense.

Watching the evil Buu saga - love how Mr Satan is ultimately responsible for Buu's defeat.

Well that last episode certainly was interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"