DTL Season 5-Week 1 (Set 3)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
The threads will be in use for 7 days. Days 1-3 (Friday-Sunday) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help from you, the fan.

Debates will open to everyone on Day 4 (Monday) once I post that they are open. On Day 6 (Wednesday) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Only after doing so will voting start. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count.

Look over the matchups and read the owners strategies and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match up. (Note: The length of a writeup is up to the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember, to vote for each match up or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 7th day (Thursday) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: The Savage Land

Zatanna and the Titans of Tomorrow

Wonder Woman (TT) (DU):Flight, Superhuman strength, Super speed, Enhanced agility and durability, Mystic lasso.
Flash (TT) (DU):Super speed, photographic memory, Speed Force clones, complete self-molecular control
Martian Manhunter (TT) (DM):Flight, superhuman strength, invisibility, shapeshifting, optic force blasts, telepathy, immunity to fire weakness.
Animal Man (TT) (DR):Metamorphic ability to transform into any animal, real, mythical or imaginary.
Red Arrow (Roy Harper-TT) (DR):Has a wide variety of trick arrows. Excellent archery skills. Has mastered several different types of hand to hand combat.

VS.

Fantomex
Orion (DU)
Union (DU)Johnny Sorrow (DM)
Wolverine (MR)
Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch) (MR)

B'wana Bet?

Baron Helmut Zemo (with Moonstones) - The Moonstones grant Zemo his own version of Cosmic Awareness and powers, including the ability to teleport through time and space, in addition to his own natural skills and prodigious leadership ability.
Firestorm (Elemental) - Possessed all of Firestorm's original abilities (matter-transmutation, density alteration, some energy powers) to a somewhat higher level, as well as Elemental powers (creating new bodies out of fire?) and extensive scientific knowlege.
Vixen - Taps the Earth's Morphogenetic field to assume animal (and somethimes human) traits.
Reed Richards - Elastic supergenius. Perhaps the only point to highlight is his little used ability to alter his own mind through his powers.
Mister Miracle - An unrivaled escape-artist, Scott Free is highly intelligent, and employs a host of inventions, including a Mother Box he'd built himself as a child on Apokolips. Known to few, he was born with the Anti-Life Equation, though he is unwilling to use it.

VS.

Heroes of the New Age

Darkseid (DU) - Omega Blast (unavoidable),hightened speed,Strength levels to match Juggs and Superman,Ruthless.
Replicant (DU) - Can aquire and use the abilities of any weapon he comes into contact with he already has a small list which includes:illusion, weather, transmutation, heat and cold
Gorilla Grodd (DM) - Ruthless villain,has telepathy to a level (not as high as MM or Jean GRey etc but is still powerful enough to control regs minds etc which he isnt aversed to doing,also has high intellect and agility to rival beast and strength levels just below Thing
Captain America (MR) - Hightened Strength,Agility and Skill,top level leader,has indestructable shield
Batman (DR) - you know the guy....lots of gadgets,brilliant detective,excellent martial artist,instills fear in folk,very clever,good stratergist.

I made an official switch a few days ago to have Spiderman replaced by Batman.Also in my original line up thread i added my mini bios.

Heroes1Season5.jpg

Heroes Of The New Age (Owner:Nightwing)

Darkseid (DU)
Replicant (DU)
Gorilla Grodd (DM)
Captain America (MR)
Batman (DR)

vs

B'wana Bet? (Owner: Dark Gog)

Baron Zemo (Moonstone) (MU)
Firestorm (Elemental) (DU)
Vixen (DM)
Reed Richards (MR)
Mister Miracle (DR)

Prep-time

The 5 land in the Savage Land and observe who they are fighting along side. Darkseid's instant reaction is to march off and do as he pleases. Before he leaves he is updated with the brief descriptions of his opponents.

Some Omnipotent Voice said:
Baron Helmut Zemo (with Moonstones) - The Moonstones grant Zemo his own version of Cosmic Awareness and powers, including the ability to teleport through time and space, in addition to his own natural skills and prodigious leadership ability.
Firestorm (Elemental) - Possessed all of Firestorm's original abilities (matter-transmutation, density alteration, some energy powers) to a somewhat higher level, as well as Elemental powers (creating new bodies out of fire?) and extensive scientific knowledge.
Vixen - Taps the Earth's Morphogenetic field to assume animal (and sometimes human) traits.
Reed Richards - Elastic super genius. Perhaps the only point to highlight is his little used ability to alter his own mind through his powers.
Mister Miracle - An unrivalled escape-artist, Scott Free is highly intelligent, and employs a host of inventions, including a Mother Box he'd built himself as a child on Apokolips. Known to few, he was born with the Anti-Life Equation, though he is unwilling to use it.

Batman knows who to deploy when it comes to facing the DC characters. He informs Gorilla Grodd of Vixens abilities and informs him that she may take his powers in the process. He gives Steve the job of tackling Mister Miracle. Cap gives the full details of Reed and his capabilities. Replicant sees his opportunity to get his hands on the Moonstone and Darkseid sees his chance for revenge on Firestorm.

The heroes’ part and head towards their intended targets.

Battle

Gorilla Grodd vs. Vixen

The first thing Gorilla Grodd would do is use his telepathy to locate Vixen’s whereabouts. Grodd would have an advantage in this location due to the trees and dense jungle surroundings. Now Vixen could use one of her animal senses to try scent out Grodd or track his whereabouts however with his highly evolved intellect and his telepathy skills he would be able to find Vixen before he is located. He would then begin his attack. Grodd having faced the JLA before would know Vixen and would be fully aware of her potential strength levels and so he would try to outsmart her in the battle field. If he has her concentrate on using a particular animal skill then he could use that to his advantage. For instance if he has her swinging through the trees with a monkey ability then her strength levels would be human as she cant use two traits at once, so if he can keep her in the trees and moving around he can quickly finish her. All it would take is a powerful mind blast to render her unconscious or at least weaken her and prevent her countering. With this opportunity he would strike using his animal strength and fighting style to take her out.

HOTNA remaining – 5
B’wana Bet? Remaining – 4

Replicant vs. Baron Zemo (With Moonstone)

The Baron being an excellent strategist would already have a plan orchestrated to take out Replicant however without a full knowledge of how Replicant’s powers work. Zemo would know about Replicant’s approach before any pre-empt attack could take place. Zemo has the ability to teleport and could use this to his advantage when trying to prevent Replicant touching the moonstone, knowing full well how his ability in that sense works. Replicant knows it won’t be easy and will try to head to a location that he can get full control of his powers and have a one up on Zemo so he heads to the compound where he can have a solid area to work with. On approach to the area Zemo turns up and warns Replicant that he is aware of his abilities and won’t make it easy for him. Replicant launches a wave of ice at Zemo but he teleports away in plenty of time and avoids the attack. Replicant then uses his illusion ability as Zemo reappears. As he appears on the roof of the compound he starts to fall through a crater. He panics and teleports away again only to reappear in the same place. As he continues to fall through this loop, Replicant advances to his location. He approaches Zemo and removes the illusion. Zemo fully aware of Replicant’s location tries to teleport but Replicant already releases a wave of ice to hold him in his place. Zemo teleports the ice away and fires a blast of energy from the stone. Replicant dodges this and makes his lunge for Zemo. Zemo teleports both of them away from the compound and brings them down in a desert area. In the wide open space Zemo ports all over wearing Replicant down. Replicant cast a large wind down on the area creating a vortex around Zemo. Again using illusion he leaves Zemo under the impression that the vortex prevents his teleporting. Cosmic blast shoots from all angles of the vortex. Replicant nears and blast Zemo’s entire body with ice freezing him to the spot rendering him unconscious.

HOTNA remaining – 5
B’wana Bet? Remaining – 3

Batman and Captain America vs. Mr. Fantastic and Mr. Miracle

From the offset this battle is guaranteed to be a tough battle for all parties as there are a lot of factors to consider…firstly Reed’s intelligence, Miracles ability to escape any trap, Batman’s intelligence and skill and Cap’s agility and skill. Firstly a pre-planned ambush wouldn’t work from either sides. An initial confrontation from all four would start with talking and reasoning seen as none would like to fight. But due to the way the tournament works an amicable settlement wouldn’t work. Batman’s initial plan is to use unknowns as a way to get an advantage however in this case it wouldn’t work as each partner knows the others potential. Miracle would know Batman’s unpredictability and his plan along with Reeds agreement is to get him inside a boom tube and port off the world. However Batman plans every scenario in his mind as to what would happen and will be prepared for such a plan, that doesn’t mean to say that he couldn’t use the same plan on them. This match however would more than likely result in a stale mate. Neither side would give up as all four are at the top of their game in their fields of expertise so ill come back to this one later.

Darkseid vs. Firestorm

This battle would be of epic proportions purely due to the energy levels that would be produced by both of these. Now Firestorm may have the scientific knowledge but in this location it wouldn’t help him. His matter transmuting may help in some areas but he would need to counter Darkseid’s speed and agility to use it to his full advantage. Darkseid having conquered many worlds doesn’t stumble upon victory; he plans and executes plans to high degree. With the use of his boom tubes and omega effect he is a formidable opponent and could bring this match to a close very quickly. Firestorm knows Darkseid and knows how to counter his Omega effect however knowing this Darkseid would use another strategy. Firestorm would initial try to prevent any attack by bombarding Darkseid with assault after assault of debris, energy attacks and any fire attacks he can to throw his concentration. Darkseid however would withstand much that gets thrown at him and would implement his attack. His initial start up would be the tracer beams locating Firestorm, Firestorm knowing this would raise his energy levels. With a wave of energy flying towards Darkseid, the lord of Apokolips would open his boom tube, absorbing all the energy. With Firestorm unaware of his opponents whereabouts, Darkseid would use this blind attack and attack him with the Omega effect knocking him out of the battle.

HOTNA remaining – 5
B’wana Bet? Remaining – 2

Batman and Captain America vs. Mr. Fantastic and Mr. Miracle

To be honest this battle is still leaving me unsure of a solution. Batman and Captain America have the upper hand when it comes to fighting style and skill however Reed and Miracle would have the upper hand when it comes to the complex planning and implementing of attacks, especially with Miracles gadgets.

I honestly couldn’t see either pairing winning this one as all it would take is a simple mistake by either and the others could take advantage of that. As highly trained as Batman and Cap are they could easily make a mistake especially considering these aren’t low level intelligence they’re facing they’re up against a fast thinking pairing. And vice versa. This isn’t the average pairing they’re fighting. Both Cap and Batman have taken out some of the toughest opponents of their universes. I am gonna write this one as a stalemate battle as I feel the outcome for this could fall either way but it would take a long long time to come to that conclusion and ill be honest I would be grateful to see what other peoples thoughts on how this battle would be fought and the outcome.

Results – HOTNA 3 victories – 3 remaining
2 Stalemates on either side which would be considered as loses for both….therefore HOTNA would have 3 remaining would win this weeks battle

Sold stuff, Nightwing.

You might consider using some bold lettering to draw attention to certain places.

Nightwing thinks Darkseid will beat Firestorm, if left to his own devices, and it could be that he is right. He thinks Darkseid holds a significant amount of enhanced speed and agility, and on this point I must take issue. After all, I've ready plenty of New Gods titles, and other than the one off-hand remark from Superman, the most we've seen from him is matching with Orion. Which is pretty damn fast, but probably doesn't even count as outright superspeed. He describes the Omegas as unavoidable, and this we know is false. We've seen Superman, Orion, and yes, even Firestorm, all block or otherwise reflect them. Me? I confess I don't quite know what Darkseid to expect. He varies greatly, though always in a downward spiral. I suspect, however, that it will be the C100 version vulnerable to Radion, a substance I can easily come by, and most readily administer, even should he be protected, via Boom Tubes and the like.

Victory begins at home, however, and it is in planning our strategy that my teams advantages most fully manifest. Nightwing's team is schismed, unlikely to cooperate. He employs two villians, and expects himself for Darkseid to go alone. In contrast, most every member of my group is a seasoned veteran with a pragmatic streak. Even Zemo is a hero, in his own mind most crucially, and both capable and quite inclined by nature to be affecting and to work with others. He holds another key to victory, in peering to the future. Not only can he optimise his strategies, but where the Heroes of the New Age expect to compromise, he will know there must be battle up ahead.

Prep for my team includes making what devices Zemo sees as useful in the coming struggle - and those include most certainly Reed's time-dilation devices and Psi-Blockers, available through use of any of Firestom's powers, the Mother Box, or even Zemo's - readying as much Radion and Radion based weaponry as inhumanly possible, synchronizing as a team, and shielding the Moonstones, Tantu Totem, and other items to the best of their abilities.

Nightwing very reasonably expects Vixen may attempt to take Grodd's powers for her own. In-fact she's sure to do so, through a combination of common-sense, prior knowledge, and her own proven record and methodology, before even mentioning her teammates' influence on her plans. Where he miscalculates is in thinking she must need wait for the bell to do so. Gorilla Grodd and his entire species are part and parcel of the Red - DC's Morphogenetic Field. She may draw from it at leisure, and supplement those powers with others such as an ant's proportionate strength, an eagle's flight, or an earthworm's healing factor. Lastly, as she may use that connection to locate near-by animals, and as Grodd is most assuredly a one-of-a-kind in his immediate environment, it should not prove difficult to find him. (This last point raises thoughts as to the Savage Land's own unique wildlife. I expect Mari will make apt use of those resources, allowing her to punch well above her class eventually.)

I do not expect illusions to work well against my ubers, who both seem to have other means to sense the world other than the ordinary, and should both be capable of neutralizing him through a number of means that now suggest themselves, such as incapacitating him through gravitational manipulation, attacking through several constructs at once, or exploiting his seemingly quite human physique and senses.

As to my regulars, they are unlikely to succumb to their immediate opposition. Not only are they naturally rather hard to harm, but they possess by far superior technology. Now, consider that Firestorm can phase others, should that prove necessary. Remeber Zemo's teleportational skills. Reflect, lastly, on their capacity to laterally advance, to punch outside their weight. Even Mister Miracle, unwarlike as he is, has been able to eliminate Orion, when the latter held the Anti Life Equation. Consider now what he may do to a familiar foe such as Darkseid, when he has the option of striking at his leisure.

All these factors and more combine to suggest most clearly, when the dust settles and it's time to crown the winners, it will be team B'wana Bet that emerges victorious from amidst the ashes.

Writeup Time will end after today.

Zatanna and the Titans of Tomorrow Week 1:

Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Animal Man and Red Arrow (Roy)

vs.

Orion, Union, Johnny Sorrow, Wolverine and Ghost Rider

Preperations:

When my team arrives in the Savage Land, Cassie, Bart, M'gann and Gar all recognize each other, but quickly notice Roy and try to attck him, until Bart intervenes and brings peace (being that he is the spy from Roy's former team). When everything has calmed, they begin preperations. They get source that they are facing Orion, Union and Johnny Sorrow from their younger days as teens. They (using the knowledge they've gained between now and the future) begin analyzing how to beat them knowing their weaknesses. They realize that the main threat is Orion, and they will need to do two things to destroy him: 1. Remove him from the Astro-Harness and 2. surround him with a cloud of Radion. Roy intervenes in the conversation by saying that radion emits in large amounts from an explosion, in which he could easily make from a bomb composed of the tips of some of his trick arrows. The rest is history.

Round 1 battles:

Flash vs. Orion:

Flash would engage battle with Orion and initiate the first step in their plan to defeat him which is using his now even faster speeds to remove the Astro-Harness from Orion and hiding it half-way across the Savage land in a matter of seconds, then distracting Orion using his speed and speed force clones until his team mates are available.

Wonder Woman vs. Union:

Cassie would fight Union. Union would draw the first strike, but Cassie could easily use her bracelets to deflect his energy staff until he slows down. Whence he does, she easily binds him with her mystic lasso, and uses he tiara to create a deep incision in his chest to pull out the stone from his chest, rendering him powerless. She then snaps his neck, being that she's more ruthless.

Part two to come.

Part two:

Animal Man vs. Johnny Sorrow:

This match would be a simple win for Gar. As soon as Sorrow removes his mask, leaving him unable to use his other abilities, Gar would transform into a bat, rendering Gar unable to see, but still able to use sonar to locate Sorrow, then transform into a gopher or groundhog that could bury underground until he buries up behind Sorrow, and becomes a venomous snake and bites his leg, then lets the poison do it's work.

Martian Manhunter vs. Wolverine:

Again a simple fight. M'gann would only just have to phaes her hand into Wolverine's brain and solidify it again. Could be messy though.

Red Arrow vs. Ghost Rider:

Hate to say it, but this one could be alot harder for Roy. Roy would start out by using one of his Flash-Freeze arrows aimed at GR's head, and it would freeze his skull temporarily, then with GR incapacitated, Roy could shove an exploding arrow into GR's bike, rendering it useless. When GR's head unfreezes, Roy would then use a paralyzer arrow to render Ketch unable to move.

Round 2:

Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Animal Man and Red Arrow vs. Orion:

Once the other four members of the opposing team are dealt with, Cassie, Gar, Roy and M'gann would help Bart finish off Orion. Roy would start assembling the makeshift bomb while the other four keep Orion distracted. Then when Roy activated the bomb with one of his fire arrows from a safe distance, his teammates fly or ruan away, and the explosion goes off near Orion. Radion emits from the explosion, poisoning Orion, but Bart speeds up the process by creating a whirlwind surrounding Orion and the invisible Radion cloud until Orion eventually dies.

Winners:

Zatanna and the Titans of Tomorrow!!!!

:super: :bat: X :gl: :ww: Z
flashzu6.gif
aquamanex8.gif

My team rules!

Not bad for a first write-up if I do say so myself.

Gog you said that i have a team of 2 villains when it is infact 3 and you said my team wouldnt cooperate....Darkseid would go on his own that is to be accepted...hes the Lord of Apokolips and answers to noone.Captain america and Batman are two of the best leaders in this tournament (they arent the best but they are high in the rankings) and Grodd is a leader among Villains...if Replicant doesnt listen to Batman (which through fear and reputation he probably would) he would listen to Grodd who is a fellow rival of Flash's and would cooperate with a villain...you also have to remember my team are all highly intelligent (the exception of Replicant) who is no dummy...he knows his aims are to get weapons to increase his power load...thats why as soon as he got his powers he went straight for the tricksters weapon stash....other than that i have no real qualms with it....

well done on your first week write up. (next time dont reference your opponents though - but thats already been cleared up) :)

Debates are now over.

Voting may begin.

Think he meant the team name you voted for...? Doesn't fit?

Zatanna and the Titans of Tomorrow vs. Fantomex
Heroes Of The New Age vs. B'wana Bet?

Supposed to give reasons, guys.

Wiegabo requested that everyone give a small summary as to why they voted for whom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"