DTL Season 5-Week 10 (Set 3)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
Due to the holiday, these threads will be in use for 9 days. Days 1-4 (Jan 26 - Jan 29) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help.

On Day 5 (Jan 30) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count. Look over the matchups and read the strategies, and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match. (Note: The length of a writeup the discretion of the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember to vote for all matches or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 10th day (Feb 3) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: The Arctic Fortress Of Solitude

The Deadly Dozen
Magneto (Pre-Fatal Attractions) (MM) -- controls metals and electromagnetism
Invisible Woman (Malice) (MM) - invisibility, forcefields
Darkchylde (Inferno) (MR) -- teleportation, minor sorcery, magic-disrupting Soulsword
Deadman (DR) -- invisible, intangible ghost who possesses others
Ambrose Chase (DR) -- uses a selective physics distortion field to manipulate time, gravity, etc.

VS.

Who?
Doom 2099 (MM)
Spirit of Vengeance (MM)
Vandal Savage (1 million) (DR)
Magik 2 (MR)
Inertia (MR)

Chaos & Order
Vision (MM) - Synthezoid with super strength, durability, flight, energy blasts, intangibility.
Jay Garrick (DM) - Super speed. Special abilities by tapping into the Speed Force.
Scarlet Spider (MR) - Super strength, durability, agility. Webbing, spidey-sense, crawl up walls.
Proctor (MR) - Super strength, durability, teleportation, energy blasts, Ebony Blade.
Deadline (DR) - Super durability, reflexes, intangibility, weapons expert.

VS.

Heroes of the New Age
Turtle (DM) - Speed Stealer
Gorilla Grodd (DM) - Telepathy,Strength,Intelligence
Spiderman (MR) - Web slinging,wall crawler with a sharp tongue
Captain America (MR) - All american hero,heightened speed,strength,agility,fighting skills and an indestructible shield
Batman (DR) - bat belt,high level martial arts,intelligence

composite6.JPG

The Deadly Dozen
Magneto (Pre-Fatal Attractions) (MM) -- controls metals and electromagnetism
Invisible Woman (Malice) (MM) -- invisibility, forcefields
Darkchylde (Inferno) (MR) -- teleportation, minor sorcery, magic-disrupting Soulsword
Deadman (DR) -- invisible, intangible ghost who possesses others
Ambrose Chase (DR) -- uses a selective physics distortion field to manipulate time, gravity, etc.

VS.

Who?
Doom 2099 (MM)
Spirit of Vengeance (MM)
Vandal Savage (1 million) (DR)
Magik 2 (MR)
Inertia (MR)

Who? hasn't done a writeup in three weeks, so I'm going to keep mine short. If he decides to contest the match, I'll elaborate during debate.

My team should have an easy time preparing for Who?'s team, since we get to know everything about them (due to Who? not submitting descriptions). With this knowledge we should be able to determine the most favorable matchups, and with our invisibility and teleportation we should be able to realize those matchups.

Me team sticks close together, and Malice extends here invisibility over all of them. Doom and Vandal Savage try to scan for them with some futuristic tech, but Magneto is flooding the Fortress of Solitude with electromagnetic interference that's screwing up their sensors. Plus, my team keeps teleporting from place to place courtesy of Darkchylde, preventing them from getting a lock on our position.

Before long, our teleportation lands us right on top of them. We want to take Magik out first, since her spellcasting and anti-magic Soulsword are the biggest threat to Deadman. She's no match for Malice, who batters her into unconsciousness with invisible forcefields before she even realizes we're there. This frees Deadman up to possess one of the remaining regs, and he chooses Inertia. (Vandal Savage might have enough willpower to resist, but Inertia won't.)

Spirit of Vengeance flies forward on his bike, but the possessed Inertia steals his momentum, bringing him to a dead stop. At the same time she transfers his momentum to Darkchylde, sending her flying towards him holding her Soulsword out in front of her. Darkchylde slams into the Spirit sword-first, skewering him, and her magic-disrupting sword takes him out of the fight.

Vandal Savage tried to come to his teammates aid, but finds himself slowed to a crawl, as time slows down around him and his weight increases greatly due to magnified gravity. This is Ambrose Chase's doing, who was able to approach unnoticed thanks to Malice granting him invisibility. Having quickly dispatched Magik, Malice now joins the fight against Vandal, smashing a portion of the Fortress of Solitude's ceiling and bringing a large chunk of crystal down on top of him. With Ambrose magnifying gravity, the crystal slab is too heavy for even Vandal to lift, and he is pinned.

Throughout all of this, Magneto has battled Doom 2099. Doom might have been invisible, but even if he's invisible to the naked eye Magneto could probably have located him by sensing his electromagnetic signature. Even if that didn't work, Invisible Woman's power includes an ability to sense things that are hidden, and thus Malice could probably have tipped Magneto off to Doom's whereabouts. Wasting no time, Magneto charged right for him and unleashed an electromagnetic pulse (EMP), hoping to fry Doom's armor and leave him defenseless.

Of course, Doom is smart enough to have prepared for this gambit. During prep-time he whipped up some sort of device for absorbing electromagnetic energy and channeling it into his armor's power supply. The EMP only makes him stronger, and he fires back on Magneto with a massive energy blast, forcing the Master of Magnetism on the defensive. But Magneto's shields have been able to withstand a lot of punishment, and they hold up here long enough to let Magneto hurl some large metal debris at Doom. (I'm not quite sure how the Fortress of Solitude is furnished, but there must be some metal available.) Doom blocks these with his armor's forcefield, and blasts Magneto again, forcing Magneto to fall back and divert all his concentration to just maintaining his forcefield.

Magneto is on the verge of defeat by the time his teammates finish off their opponents and come to his aid. First Darkchylde opens a portal directly in front of Doom's blast, rerouting it back at him. The blast rocks Doom, but his forcefields and adamantium armor shield him from the worst of it. Malice focuses on Doom's magnetism-absorbing device, creating a small forcefield bubble inside the thing and expanding it to blow the device apart. Doom turns and fires a blast at her, but Sue's forcefields have withstood gamma bomb explosions -- they aren't going to buckle from a single attack. As Darkchylde opens a portal behind him leading to some extradimensional hell, Malice tries to slam him through with an invisible battering ram. Doom phases just in time to avoid her attack.

If there's one thing Doom knows, it's when to make a strategic retreat, and now is clearly the time. Firing up his jetpack, the still-intangible Doom makes a beeline for the nearest wall. He gets half-way through it before being hit by an EMP, courtesy of Magneto, of course. (Malice and Darkchylde's efforts had bought Magneto enough time to recover somewhat.) This time, Doom can't absorb the electromagnetic surge. His armor's intangibility circuitry overloads, and Doom solidifies halfway through the wall. (Note that Magneto has demonstrated an ability to hurt Shadowcat with electrical energy even while she was phased -- so there's no reason to think that phasing would protect Doom.)

The Deadly Dozen win

Prep-Time here...

Vision works at the Fortress computers trying to learn Kryptonian technology. He's having some success. Ben just walks around, his jaw hanging down, eyes wide open like a little kid's at all the stuff in the Fortress. Proctor sits in silent meditation, preferring to focus on the upcoming battle. While Jay...Jay has to deal with his own problem.

DL: "Listen, I know you don't like me."

Jay just keeps walking. "Oh, it's beyond 'not liking'."

DL: "Yeah, yeah. I get it. Good guy. Bad guy. Fight it out and all that. Sure I'd kill you for the right price....Hell, I'd probably kill you for free."

Jay finally looks at him. "You're inspiring a lot of confidence in out teamwork."

DL: "Not trying to. If I get the chance, I'll probably kill you all." That stops Jay. "Don't worry, I'll make sure it's not until I know nothing will happen to me."

Jay: "I could punch you a thousand times in a second."

DL: "I'm intangible. You'll miss me a thousand times."

Jay: "I could have Proctor scramble your brains into mush."

DL: "...he'd probably like that. OK, the real reason I want to talk to you."

Jay crosses his arms. "Finally."

DL: "You know you're insane, right?"

Jay: "I can get Proctor here in less than-"

DL: "This plan of yours. You realize that we're talking about everything hinging on just a couple of seconds."

Jay: "I'm used to only needing a couple of seconds."

DL: "There's a joke there, but I'm going to let it slide this time." Jay doesn't smile. "You're not as confident in this plan as you want us to think."

Jay: "I suppose you have a better idea."

DL: "..."

Jay: "I thought so." He starts to walk away.

DL: "Actually," Jay stops. "I had a couple of ideas to go over with the team. You know, just in case."

Battle-Time here...

Jay's plan will take split second timing when the battle starts. Fortunately, Turtle can't blitz the team. Although the plan would still work even if he did. All that matters is that two member of Chaos & Order be in position. Jay, ready to take on Turtle. And Proctor, as far from Turtle as possible.

When the match starts, Jay pours on the speed to get to Turtle, but finds himself frozen in an instant. But Turtle's ability to steal speed is lost the second Proctor starts scrambling the chemicals in his brain. Once that happens, the speed stealing field falls, and Jay can safely take Turtle out of the fight. In just a couple of seconds, the team's most dangerous enemy has been eliminated.

Now, there are a couple of ways this could potentially fail. If Grodd can attack Proctor, he might not be able to stop Turtle. But Proctor has some telepathic powers (which is why he was meditating). As long as his resistance holds out for just a second or two, Jay will have enough time while Turtle is disrupted to take him out. And if Proctor can't resist, Deadline's backup plan is implemented.

Three seconds into the match, as programmed by Vision, the Fortress computers instantly take the lights beyond the human threshold for pain. This instantly, if temporarily, blinds Turtle, confusing him enough to disrupt his field. And since Chaos & Order knew this was coming, they're protected while the 'Heroes' aren't. Maybe the lenses on Batman's cowl will protect his eyes (he did get some prep-time), but not the others.

Speaking of Batman and prep-time. Wouldn't Bats have an advantage using Kryptonian technology? Maybe. But I have little doubt that Vision couldn't figure out how to use the technology to at least the same degree as Bats. Especiallly if he can learn (from Jor-El) how to directly interface with the crystals.

Essentialy now, Turtle is out of the match. But that doesn't mean Jay is free to blitz the other team. Grodd's still out there. And Jay's probably the only one who can take him and avoid his telepathy. Of course, he'll also get some help from the telepathic immune Vision.

Now, while that's going on, the others are fighting. Batman is most likely to take advantage of alien technology that can be used in battle like the Phantom Zone projector. That's why Proctor is the perfect choice to fight him. Not only is Proctor an expert fighter, but his ability to teleport can keep Bats from using those weapons on him. There's no way Batman should be able to avoid Proctor's energy blasts, brain manipulation, teleportation, and Sword. Especially after the stories Jay and Deadline can tell him. Of course, he is Batman. So we'll come back to this one.

Logically it makes sense for Spidey to fight Spidey. And what a fun match that would be to watch, seeing Pete and Ben swing around the Fortress. Of course, this leaves Deadline to handle Captain America. And there's no reason, with his intangibility and weapons, he can't do that. Just a nice gas bomb could knock Cap out. And even if Cap got in a hit, Deadline has super durability. So it won't be a one hit win.

It also makes sense for Batman and Cap to fight together. But Proctor adn Deadline will still be a tough match. And it won't be long before Vision and Jay take down Grodd. Once that happens, they should easily finish Cap and Batman. And taking Pete down, even with his spidey-sense, is inevitable.

Now, I could see me losing a couple of characters. Most likely Ben and Proctor. But, really, only Vision is needed to take down Grodd. Leaving Jay free to pick up any lost slack.

Not the easiest match, by far. But definitely not a losing battle. Chaos & Order win.

This all abit sudden isnt it?

We only decided 2 days ago who the lines up were. Should wirte ups be due in after 29th?

The reason it's sudden is because no one posted their writeups until the day before voting ended.

I'm sure people will just post late again, same as always. Maybe having the "deadline" be the 29th means we'll get writeups in by the 1st or so. ;)

We could go 5 days for writing, 4 for voting (instead of 4-5), but it probably wouldn't make much difference. We'd likely get even later writeups. :p

Writeup apathy is destroying our democracy.

Oh and line up is wrong in this thread too.

Oh and line up is wrong in this thread too.

I didn't see your lineup change. But I'm sort of glad about this. I'm not sure how I was going to beat Mirror Master in a fortress made up of reflective crystals.

BTW, sharp tongue sounds like a very kinky weapon...

those characters i dont even have....they are the powers of Replicant. I was just stating them when i picked him up.

gonna start my write up soon i think

And it is a kinky weapon....but only in the right...erm hands?

Oh wow, Mirror Master WOULD be awesome there.

Wow. I'm just gonna think about that.

I have noticed one thing....Weig very cleverly calls a no uber week the very battle im facing him with Superman in my team and Replicant who has mirror masters powers when im fighting him in Fortress of Solitude....a very crafty commisioner

weeklylineups5w10.jpg

Chaos & Order (Owner: Wiegeabo)

Vision (MM)
Jay Garrick (DM)
Scarlet Spider (MR)
Proctor (MR)
Deadline (DR)

VS.

Heroes of the New Age (Owner: Nightwing)

Turtle (DM)
Gorilla Grodd (DM)
Spiderman (MR)
Captain America (MR)
Batman (DR)

Location – Fortress Of Solitude, Arctic

Prep-time

Voice That Comes From Nowhere said:
Sup’ guys….ok so we’re the subject of yet another battle for this here tournament and unfortunately you have to fight another 5 opponents…some you may have fought in your own worlds/universes and again some maybe previous allies…no matter what YOU BEAT THEM!!!! THEY ARE THE ENEMY!!!! Got it?

Chaos & Order

Vision (MM) - Synthezoid with super strength, durability, flight, energy blasts, intangibility.
Jay Garrick (DM) - Super speed. Special abilities by tapping into the Speed Force.
Scarlet Spider (MR) - Super strength, durability, agility. Webbing, spidey-sense, crawl up walls.
Proctor (MR) - Super strength, durability, teleportation, energy blasts, Ebony Blade.
Deadline (DR) - Super durability, reflexes, intangibility, weapons expert.

Now go and do what it is you do best…..

Spiderman – ‘Ok?! Anyone else wierded out by the voice that comes from nowhere?’

And so the Prep-time begins.

Ok so one advantage that my team has over Wieg’s would be that Batman is the only one out of all the characters on the field to enter the Fortress prior to this battle. He also has lived/worked within it and would easily pick up how the Fortress works both technology wise and the layout of the place.

His first task would be to brief all on the rooms, tech etc. With no team having a Kryptonian then the use of the red radiation room would have little or no use in this battle.

The use of the hologram projections of Kal-El’s family may prove useful as a means of distraction.

Once the opponents have been highlighted, Turtle and Grodd will both decided to go for Flash.

Spiderman will decide to take on Scarlet Spider (much to everyone’s disagreement but more to that in the battles)

Captain America will look to take on Proctor as his shield maybe the only thing capable of stopping the Ebony Blade.

Batman will try his hand at taking out Deadline, which leaves Vision who will more than likely be a handful but never-the-less he will need taking care of. Again Batman has a strategy in mind for him its just hoping that either Turtle or Grodd will avoid taking on the Flash and concentrate on assisting Batman….(which is a factor I will need to get around)

Batman may also be able to call on the assistance of the Fortress robots to help him tackle Vision if Grodd or Turtle refuse.

To Be Continued….

weeklylineups5w10.jpg

Chaos & Order (Owner: Wiegeabo)

Vision (MM)
Jay Garrick (DM)
Scarlet Spider (MR)
Proctor (MR)
Deadline (DR)

VS.

Heroes of the New Age (Owner: Nightwing)

Turtle (DM)
Gorilla Grodd (DM)
Spiderman (MR)
Captain America (MR)
Batman (DR)

Location – Fortress Of Solitude, Arctic

Battles

Ok so the battles will kick off rather quickly…

The first to commence will be

Spiderman Vs Scarlet Spider

This battle to begin with will be pretty stalemated. Each avoiding attack and poor one liners….so ill come back to this one.

Captain America Vs. Proctor

Grodd being quite a talented telepath and having no one to block his thoughts from the other team will have no trouble locating Proctor and giving his location to Captain America. Proctor begins releasing energy blasts at Captain America. Rogers will avoid these with great ease and land in an offensive stance ready to make a counter attack. Proctor will be able to dodge these attacks with his teleportation giving Steve the run around until he feels ready to strike. Bringing his sword down he will soon realise his weapon is stalemated by Caps shield and this will unnerve him somewhat, however it will not put him out of the fight…Proctor makes a quick exit with his teleport to aid one of his teammates leaving Steve puzzled.

Turtle and Grodd Vs. Flash and Proctor

The plan for Chaos and Order has always been for Proctor to assist with taking out the Turtle, and keeping Captain America busy long enough to do this. Flash unfortunately will have more than his hands full with Turtle slowing his mind down for Grodd to execute numerous mind blasts which, even if Flash were at full speed and form, would struggle to avoid. Upon Proctor’s arrival, in time to see his teammate fall clutching his head, Turtle will try to erect a speed stealing wall, which encases Grodd (for a few seconds) and creeps towards Proctor. Proctor launches his sword (which is capable of penetrating Invisible Woman’s shields and therefore will cut through this wall) and impales Turtle. The speed wall drops, releasing Grodd who hammers Proctor into the ground before he can react, and blasts his mind.

(So to update, Flash and Proctor are down from Chaos & Order, and Turtle is down from HOTNA)

Batman and Captain America Vs. Deadline

Steve, after being deserted by Proctor, will make his way to another section of the Fortress to aid Batman.

Deadline may have his work cut out for him as these two have the ability to work together extremely well and are intelligent enough and have the experience to judge each others attacks before they execute them, so that both will benefit and can take Deadline down quickly. The only clear advantage Deadline has here is his intangibility but he unfortunately cannot attack in this form and so if he is to take these two down he needs to solidify himself, thus giving Cap and Bats their opening. He could use his intangibility to some good by avoiding some attacks but at the speed and ability that these two fight he would have his work cut out for him.

Spiderman Vs. Scarlet Spider and Vision

This battle is still at a stalemate and is starting to annoy them both so instead they decided to stop…and talk…if only for a few seconds as they both had the same plan to try luring the other in a false sense of security. This wouldn’t work and unfortunately they are both back to square one. It would require the outside interference of another which in this case would be Vision (who hasn’t been wandering aimlessly around the Fortress or twiddling his thumbs…I’ll get to that bit later.) Vision using both his intangibility and his energy projection can, whilst occupied by Scarlet Spider, see off everyone’s friendly neighbourhood Spiderman from a distance without having to take a shot of his own.

And thus comes to A) the final battle and B) my explanation as to what Vision has been doing.

Vision’s first job upon arrival to the Fortress was to override all the defense systems in the Fortress and use them to his own teams advantage, which wouldn’t have been a problem except for the lack of knowledge on the Kryptonian language/technology and the outside interference from the Fortress robots. However, with his capabilities being a lot higher of the robots, he is able to override the systems, taking longer than planned but without the loss of any robots (which in his eyes is a good thing)

Batman, Captain America and Gorilla Grodd Vs. Vision and Scarlet Spider

Ok so the main thing here is for the 3 HOTNA crew to keep these two at bay whilst Batman’s plan springs into action…

Vision is clearly unaffected by telepathy and Caps fighting style can easily be phased through to avoid. The only real threat could be Batman’s batarangs as they could contain EMP’s, which wouldn’t stop him but could slow him down, however Scarlet Spider’s input doesn’t help matters either.

So whilst the 5 battle trying to get the upper hand, the Fortress robots (under Batman’s command – they know him as a friend and therefore are willing to help) begin activating the Phantom Zone projector (which is under the defense system’s controls and therefore Vision has no control over it). Scarlet Spider is dangling from the roof and therefore doesn’t get caught in the beam but Vision unfortunately has been kept at bay in a particular spot and gets trapped sending him in the Phantom Zone. This leaves Scarlet Spider on his own to tackle Grodd’s telepathy, Cap’s shield and Bat’s gadgets. You can guess the outcome of that fight…

Whilst valiant in his struggle the web slinger does fall. Not without taking at least one with him…my reckoning it being Bats.

And the outcome is Grodd and Captain America still stand leaving HOTNA the victors.

I'll get my writeup in tonight even if I have to kill someone.

Seriously, give me a name. They're as good as dead.

See, I said I'd get my battle up. Maybe not the best, but only three people had to die in the process.

No real problems there Wieg. We pretty much had the same idea.

Didnt know about Proctor's mind scrambling, but i dont think i down played any of your characters. And i feel i gav ejustice to them all by explaining what your teams strategies couldve been and what they were doing whilst the other battles were being conducted.

A tough match up this week (wouldve been better if i had Supes and Replicant with Mirror Masters ability for this one but once again a very clever and well timed theme week request :p) guess its all up to the votes.

Well, I didn't have too much problem with yours either Wing. I think my biggest issue is with the beginning of the fight. It seems like you have Vision and Grodd doing nothing when the fight starts. And then Grodd's helping Turtle against Flash and Proctor while Vision helps Ben against Pete.

That doesn't make much sense to me. Vision would know Ben and Pete are pretty much equal and focus on the much bigger threat, Grodd. Especially since he's the only one immune to Grodd's telepathy. And if Turutle is either occupied or taken out, there's no reason for Vision to not be able to stop Grodd.

The Deadly Dozen

Some minor points I'd argue if I was Who?, but overall good writeup. I really like the idea of Mags blanketing the area with EM interference to disrupt the other team's tech (which is pretty much their only real advantage).

Weig seems to think that Jay couldn't attack the regs until he's finished both meds (basically, replacing the usual ubers can't attack regs rule.) So far as I know, we never actually stated that the rule rolls over in that way. Personally, I think anyone should be able to attack anyone in this fight. The point of not letting ubers attack lower levels is that the ubers are so much more powerful than them that it would be ridiculous, but there's not such a drastic difference between meds and regs.

Anyway, if Wieg wants to have his meds only fight meds first that's fine -- I'm just explaining why in my writeup I let one of my meds (Malice) attack the regs.

One other comment on Wieg's writeup: If you're going to be relying on Proctor's telepathy or brain scrambling or whatever, it probably should be listed in the description you provided. It seems like a fairly significant power.

Anyway, on to the fights:
- Spidey vs. Spidey is basically a draw, until someone else comes and helps them
- Both had Proctor taking out Turtle (or helping Jay do it), so I buy that.
- Working together I think Cap and Batman could beat Deadline, but given his intangibility and other powers he could probably keep them occupied for a while.

So, with the regs basically even, it comes down to the mediums. The main problem I had with Nightwing's writeup is that he had Vision pre-occupied with hacking the defensive systems (why couldn't he have done that during prep-time?) and then had him focussed on helping to take down Spidey. Meanwhile, Grodd takes out both Jay and Proctor. I agree with Wieg's criticism, that Vision should have gone straight for Grodd, given that (1) Grodd is a huge threat to the rest of Wieg's team, and (2) Vision has a big advantage on him, since he can phase and is immune to telepathy.

If Vision takes out Grodd right away, then Proctor and Jay win their fight against Turtle without either of them going down, and then Jay beats the regs a second later.

So I vote for Chaos & Order

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"