Dumb moments in good movies

The end of "Rumble in the Bronx" when the police allow Jackie Chan, two young hot Asian ladies and gang member drive a gaint hover-craft for very first time to run over a villain on a golf course along with his henchmen who shoot at them several times. They cheer, hurra!

That was great. Now, it is oustandingly ridiculous, but great nontheless. I just love that ludicrous ending.

When Nic Cage and John Malkovich randomly start fighting on firetrucks in Las Vegas at the end of Con Air.

Flynn, Sam and Quorra eating dinner in Tron: Legacy. They live inside of a computer! Where did the vegetables come from!?

Gordon's line in Batman Begins: "I GOTTA get me one of those!"

Batman and Rachel jumping off a skyscraper in The Dark Knight. They fell from the top story! And crash-landed on a Taxi! Yet they were both unharmed! What the hell?

And then there's the fact that Batman didn't really make ANY attempt to save her. He didn't fire his grapple-gun, he didn't use his cape to glide. Nope. All he did was jump out of the window like an idiot and fall to the ground. Stupid!

Moira deciding to shoot at Magneto in First Class. One of the dumbest moments in the comic book film and film continuities. Even to this day it still infuriates me and confirms my rating of A-, instead of an A+

Flynn, Sam and Quorra eating dinner in Tron: Legacy. They live inside of a computer! Where did the vegetables come from!?

Gordon's line in Batman Begins: "I GOTTA get me one of those!"

Batman and Rachel jumping off a skyscraper in The Dark Knight. They fell from the top story! And crash-landed on a Taxi! Yet they were both unharmed! What the hell?

And then there's the fact that Batman didn't really make ANY attempt to save her. He didn't fire his grapple-gun, he didn't use his cape to glide. Nope. All he did was jump out of the window like an idiot and fall to the ground. Stupid!
That's kind of batman's thing in the nolan-verse. he's NOT a genius or even a detective really, he's a warrior, that's about it. love the movies, but the portrayal or batman is sorely lacking in terms of characterization.

not so much a moment, but the fact that hulk did not speak one word in avengers was stupid. in fact most of the character progression in TIH was overlooked completely.

oh yeah. I forgot about that. but still, he should have said more.

-I watched the end of the first X-Men movie recently and it made less sense than I remembered. If Cyclops could knock Sabretooth out of the Statue of Liberty with a laser blast, what would keep him from shooting Magneto too? Plus, it seemed like Cyclops didn't need the visor at all to shoot Sabretooth; Jean (or anyone else) could have just told him when to shoot instead of floating the visor over. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.

-This one isn't necessarily a dumb moment, but it's definitely one that shouldn't have been in the movie. At the end of Thunderball, James Bond, the girl, and an evil-turned-good henchman who helped them kill Largo leave the boat. The henchman says, "I don't know how to swim" and Bond replies, "Well, now's a good time to learn!" and pushes the guy overboard. Then, Bond and the girl hop in a life raft (that is clearly big enough for three people), which gets carried away by a helicopter. This guy saves James Bond's life and Bond leaves him for dead. What a dick.

The first half hour of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It's a good movie once it gets going, but the beginning of that film is a campy train wreck IMO.

The Amazing Spider-man.

After catching a football Peter Parker throws it back but hits and bends a goal post.

-Spider-Man. Spidey is testing out his webs in his room, grabs a Dr. Pepper can, and happily drinks it with the label out. Normally I defend product placement as not being a big deal or being less distracting than fake branding but this was ****ing stupid.

-The Amazing Spider-Man. [blackout]The Lizard finds out Spider-Man's identity because Peter left his "Property of Peter Parker" sticker on his camera.[/blackout] for someone so smart, Pete sure is terrible at hiding his identity.

Moira deciding to shoot at Magneto in First Class. One of the dumbest moments in the comic book film and film continuities. Even to this day it still infuriates me and confirms my rating of A-, instead of an A+

What was wrong with it? It was impulsive of her to shoot at him with metal bullets. It was ungrateful of her to attempt to kill someone who just saved her life without a moment's hesitation rather than trying to incapacitate him or something. But dumb?

the part in spiderman 3 where the butler tells harry the truth about norman's death after years of watching harry become obsessed with killing spiderman, ruining peter's relationship with mj, becoming the new goblin, and then having his face burned

harry should've fired his ass right there and then

Spider-man 3 was a good movie?

The Amazing Spider-man had three scenes. I'll black out the spoilery-ones.

One was the basketball dunking scene.

[BLACKOUT]The mouse turning into a lizard. Supposed to be scary but it just looked silly.
[/BLACKOUT]
[BLACKOUT]And the whole crane scene. That was very contrived, and didn't add anything to the film.[/BLACKOUT]

What was wrong with it? It was impulsive of her to shoot at him with metal bullets. It was ungrateful of her to attempt to kill someone who just saved her life without a moment's hesitation rather than trying to incapacitate him or something. But dumb?

It's dumb because he's the freaking master of magnetism. No properly trained agent would just pull out a gun and shoot someone. Much less someone with superpowers. Especially if that superpower allows them to stop bullets (which she knew).

Illogical:

The Matrix-- So you need someone to plug you in and out of the Matrix, right? Then who the hell plugs Joey Pants (Cypher) in when he has that clandestine meeting with the agents (when he's chowing down on the fake steak)?

Stupid:

Batman ('89).... the Prince number in the Art museum. Has any three minutes ever dated a movie so quickly?

Bad:

The end of '28 Days Later'... I hate they test audienced the ending and went with the cheery, happy ending. They should have kept the ending with balls where Jim dies, like he was supposed to.

The Return of the King

- Aragorn threatening the King of the Dead with his sword. What is he going to do, kill him? The dude wants to die anyway, so what was the point of that scene.

- Denethor running on fire for how much? A mile?

- And finally, my favorite one. It's during the final battle at the Black Gate.
When Aragorn gives his speech to his men, they are all on horses. But when the actual fight starts and they charge into battle, suddenly all the horses are gone. Quite amazing.

EDIT: Another one from The Two Towers.
In Osgiliath, Faramir finally decides to let Frodo go... after he sees the Hobbit trying to give up the Ring to a freaking Nazgûl.

Last edited:
It's dumb because he's the freaking master of magnetism. No properly trained agent would just pull out a gun and shoot someone. Much less someone with superpowers. Especially if that superpower allows them to stop bullets (which she knew).

He can't stop bullets but he is able to deflect them. She had absolutely no idea he could do that and on top of that his back was turned to her, her first shot does hit him unfortunately its in the helmet.

That was just the topping of a stupid moment.

88-o.gif

The Dark Knight Rises. [blackout]Batman sets that fire and it leads to a burning Bat logo. He knew Bane's bomb had a timer, so why would he take the time to set that up?[/blackout]

Even though his cape didn't catch the wind enough so that he could glide, it seems to have caught enough to have broken their fall.

That sounds impulsive to me considering the context of the situation. The best I would say is that her passions got the better of her. But I wouldn't call that a dumb moment because it makes sense as far as I can tell that she might act that way.

A dumb moment to me would be something like a army of fire-benders imprisoning earth benders on dry land, where they can easily use their powers to revolt, instead of metal prisons, where they cannot, as seen in The Last Airbender movie.

The Return of the King

1- Aragorn threatening the King of the Dead with his sword. What is he going to do, kill him? The dude wants to die anyway, so what was the point of that scene.

2- Denethor running on fire for how much? A mile?

- And finally, my favorite one. It's during the final battle at the Black Gate.
When Aragorn gives his speech to his men, they are all on horses. But when the actual fight starts and they charge into battle, suddenly all the horses are gone. Quite amazing.

4-EDIT: Another one from The Two Towers.
In Osgiliath, Faramir finally decides to let Frodo go... after he sees the Hobbit trying to give up the Ring to a freaking Nazgûl.

1:I'm guessing his spirit would have seesed to exist. He wanted to rest. (there is an afterlife in these movies.)

2:Actually that is a mistake, but not how you think it is. The scale of that that area changes quite dramatically. If you look at how big the people are in the wide shots of that area for some parts of the movie there's no way the thousands of people that were there for aragorns coronation would fit. They shrank the scale of the people in the crowd dramatically.

4: I kind of took that as he realised the only reason frodo was in the situation with the ring wraith was because he interfered and brought him to gondor, so naturally, he had to let him go his own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"