Dumb moments in good movies

Both The Joker's plots in TDK and Silva's in Skyfall rely on an impossible avalanche of perfect timing at every turn.

Batman Begins' third act gets corny, and Gordon driving the Tumbler is too slap-sticky.

Silva's train tops Joker's plots as far as perfect timing goes. Explaining the Clean Slate twice in a row was unnecessary.

In the Matrix, someone else needs to plug you in or out of the Matrix, right?

So who the hell was plugging in Cypher at night when he was meeting with the Agents??

I always reason that he programmed a timer in to the machine. In the world of the first movie, everyone was a computer hacker. It's not much of a stretch that if he wanted back so much for so long he would have found time to alter their machine. Of course any explanation is just speculation, as that was never addressed.

Silva's train tops Joker's plots as far as perfect timing goes. Explaining the Clean Slate twice in a row was unnecessary.

And it was cringe inducing both times. Why would the woman attacking you for the damn thing require you to spontaneously start explaining what it is :doh:

I probably would've kept that whole scene to "Where's the Clean Slate?" then, after Bruce comes back to Gotham and meets Selina, leave his bit of exposition for the audience.

Back to Silva. I really didn't care for his introduction or his long-winded speech. I felt that was all pretty dumb. Everything after his capture and interrogation was leaps and bounds above his introduction in terms of quality.

Both The Joker's plots in TDK and Silva's in Skyfall rely on an impossible avalanche of perfect timing at every turn.

Batman Begins' third act gets corny, and Gordon driving the Tumbler is too slap-sticky.

True but the Joker's also relies on an impossible avalanche of stupidity. Then again I consider Skyfall basically a good movie but not TDK ( yep I said. I did.)

Last edited:
Time travel makes for dumb moments, even when they are not straight in the face:

*The Terminator: Kyle Reece was sent back in time by his own son to save his mother's life (Sarah Connor) from being assassinated by the robot sent back in time to kill her. Kyle and Sarah have sex, then you know there is a time loop started by.... unknown reason for Kyle to originally go back in time and have sex with John's mother

*Back to the Future: Marty goes 30s years back to the past, he changes the attitudes of both his parents, and that affects his time. To think about it, does Marty in the new timeline have any reason to go back to the past? What's going on? How is everything the same after Marty going back in time?

*Back to the Future Sequels:They go 30 years to the future to fix a mistake Marty jr makes, and by the end of the third movie Doc gives the speech "The future didn't happen, you make it as you go".
Aaaaahh, ok

Time travel makes for dumb moments, even when they are not straight in the face:

*The Terminator: Kyle Reece was sent back in time by his own son to save his mother's life (Sarah Connor) from being assassinated by the robot sent back in time to kill her. Kyle and Sarah have sex, then you know there is a time loop started by.... unknown reason for Kyle to originally go back in time and have sex with John's mother

*Back to the Future: Marty goes 30s years back to the past, he changes the attitudes of both his parents, and that affects his time. To think about it, does Marty in the new timeline have any reason to go back to the past? What's going on? How is everything the same after Marty going back in time?

*Back to the Future Sequels:They go 30 years to the future to fix a mistake Marty jr makes, and by the end of the third movie Doc gives the speech "The future didn't happen, you make it as you go".
Aaaaahh, ok

Terminator: in the context of the first movie it was basically predestined. Things were always meant to unfold one way, and that way cannot be changed. The 2nd terminator throws this logic out the window, retroactively making the first one not make sense.

Back to the future: the doc and Marty's relationship weren't changed. And their reason for time travel was never his parents. Only to test the machine.
Of course, one could argue that the Marty going back the 2nd time is a different Marty, and that original Marty replaced him in his life, while the 2nd Marty was never seen or heard from again. Unsettling, isn't it?

Terminator: in the context of the first movie it was basically predestined. Things were always meant to unfold one way, and that way cannot be changed. The 2nd terminator throws this logic out the window, retroactively making the first one not make sense.

Back to the future: the doc and Marty's relationship weren't changed. And their reason for time travel was never his parents. Only to test the machine.
Of course, one could argue that the Marty going back the 2nd time is a different Marty, and that original Marty replaced him in his life, while the 2nd Marty was never seen or heard from again. Unsettling, isn't it?
:hehe:
Wally West has the right idea on time travel

I take it as our Marty lives outside of time.

The 1985 he goes back to isn't his 1985 as his Parents whole marriage and his upbringing would've been totally different due to his actions in the past.

__

Spider-Man 2: Doc Ock finds Peter Parker to get his to tell Spider-Man to meet him, so naturally he throws a car at Peter Parker almost killing him :doh:

Last edited:
You could also say Doc Ock tanking punches from a guy with the proportionate strength of a Spider is pretty stupid.

You could also say Doc Ock tanking punches from a guy with the proportionate strength of a Spider is pretty stupid.

In the comics Spider-Man tends to pull his punches when fighting people that don't have super strength or invulnerability. I think that can be applied to the movies as well.

That's a fair point. But then there is a part where a car gets crushed from Doc Ock getting punched into it. If he hits the car with enough force to crush it... ? It's not a big deal though.

I take it as our Marty lives outside of time.

The 1985 he goes back to isn't his 1985 as his Parents whole marriage and his upbringing would've been totally different due to his actions in the past.

I haven't seen the movie in a while. What about they having a son and calling him Marty, just like the guy they met... and that son grows up to become that guys' exact clone?

Spider-Man 2: Doc Ock finds Peter Parker to get his to tell Spider-Man to meet him, so naturally he throws a car at Peter Parker almost killing him :doh:

Since that didn't kill him, Ock grabs him again and throws him against the wall so hard, part of it crumbles, which would have killed any human being.

Jeez... you guys act like you've never had a bad day, used your cybernetic tentacles to throw a car into a cafe at some nerd, and then slammed him into a brick wall before. In my experience, most people survive that sort of thing.

In the comics Spider-Man tends to pull his punches when fighting people that don't have super strength or invulnerability. I think that can be applied to the movies as well.
Octavius faints, even with pulled punches
Ock was dizzy in one moment in the movie, and recovered soon after Spider-Man jumped away from him

-Sunshine - The last 10-15 minutes of this film were very confusing, and terrible, ruined the entire film for me.
-Fast & Furious 6 - Two things: a) the film's called Fast and Furious 6 when the title card clearly states it's called Furious 6 (which I thought should have been the title in the first place) and b) that never-ending runway that just so happens to reach an end when the plane finally crashes after moving for what felt like 15-20 minutes at full-speed... that's the stupidest moment out of the whole series in my opinion.
-Star Trek Into Darkness - Khan's magic blood (How It Should Have Ended does a perfect parody on this ridiculous cop-out).
-The Hangover Part III - Surprisingly I liked this film much more than I did the previous entry, but what makes it hard to watch are the tedious scenes involving Chow, for instance, when he's acting like a dog and when he reveals that he's colour-blind when trying to get Stu to cut the wires. Besides that, and some of the film's bitter mean-spiritedness, I enjoyed the film for how it managed to wrap-up the series, especially with Alan's arc.
-This Is 40 - The dumbest moment from the film is basically the entirety of the film itself, it's just way too long for it's own good which makes it come off as being overly pretentious and boring when it clearly had the makings of an intelligent family-oriented drama, this extended runtime is totally unnecessary as the film could have easily been cut down by a solid hour thanks to the overwhelming amount of product placement ads, the annoying children and when Paul Rudd suggests that Leslie Mann shave his... let's not go there (this moment was in the trailer too, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the reason why this film didn't do as well as Knocked Up). This film needs a trim though.

Doc Ock in SM-2 also has A.I. wired into his brain and central nervous system. He wouldn't be losing consciousness with that.

Time travel in Star Trek: Generations. When Picard come back to present, there should be two Picards running around.

The Borg having a Queen in First Contact. UGH!

Vin Diesel acting like Superman in Fast 6. I know its an action movie, but come on!

Last edited:
The Diesel "flight" thing in Fast 6 didn't bother me. The cars travelling at around 70 mph then stops dead. He'd go flying like that in real life. But him crunching a windscreen at that speed and not even wincing in pain was stupid.

As was the finale on the longest run way ever imagined haha. Must have been about 50 miles long or something.

The Mummy
Giving this evil guy unlimited power should some outside person awaken him.

Man of Steel
The Kryptonians sending Zod and his troops into the Phantom Zone... In their biggest and most expensive ship

SAW IV - Jigsaw having precognition. The perfect timing was fu**ing ridiculous.
That's not a good movie
We can list obviously dumb moments in bad movies we enjoy?

Last edited:
I was thinking of the wrong SAW movie, but Jigsaw's plans being "full proof" tend to get annoying.

The Diesel "flight" thing in Fast 6 didn't bother me. The cars travelling at around 70 mph then stops dead. He'd go flying like that in real life. But him crunching a windscreen at that speed and not even wincing in pain was stupid.

Yeah, I didn't like he no sold his injuries from crashing his car during the chase earlier in the film. Not a bruise or even a scratch. UGH!

As was the finale on the longest run way ever imagined haha. Must have been about 50 miles long or something.

That was my favorite part. That scene lasted like 20 minutes, haha.

Even so, Spidey at numerous times in SM2 was able to get past Doc's tentacles to land a knockout blow. You never got the sense that Spidey was pulling his punches in SM2 and any one blow could have ended an encounter with Doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"