[E3 2006] Nintendo Press Conference

Zenien said:
The new controller will only work with the Revolution.

oh ok. question, for the download of classic games has there been a price yet? would they have better graphics due to the new gen or the old ones?

GoldenAgeHero said:
oh ok. question, for the download of classic games has there been a price yet? would they have better graphics due to the new gen or the old ones?

No official word on either. I've read the more recent the game, the more expensive (not by much). The downloads will probably have the same graphics.

Why does it suck? Nintendo isn't going to hand out these downloads for free (although I've read that there will be some reward system when you buy Rev/Wii games). I'll give up modern graphics to be able to play SM64 or Star Fox on the Rev.

i dont expect them to give themfor free, but imnot open to a steep price like 20 bucks for a download. 5 bucks seemmore appropriate. it'll be cooler if they went the way of itunes and price them at 99 cents each. the part that sucks is not having the old games updated (graphics wise)

btw, will the new controller have the vibration thingie?

Zenien said:
A small bit from Time Megazine:

Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller--but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario's shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They're geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo's Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I'm Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I'm smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don't so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands.

John Schappert, a senior vice president at Electronic Arts, is overseeing a version of the venerable Madden football series for Nintendo's new hardware. He sees the controller from the auteur's perspective, as an opportunity but also a huge challenge. "Our engineers now have to decipher what the user is doing," he says. "'Is that a throw gesture? Is it a juke? A stiff arm?' Everyone knows how to make a throwing motion, but we all have our own unique way of throwing." But consider the upside: you're basically playing football in your living room. "To snap the ball, you 'snap' the remote back toward your body, which hikes the ball," Schappert says. "No buttons to press, just gesture a hiking motion, and the ball's in the hands of the QB. To pass the ball, you gesture a throwing motion. Hard, fast gestures result in bullet passes. Slower, less forceful, gestures result in loftier, slower lob passes. It truly plays like nothing you've ever experienced."

Sounds amazing. I hope we get a european release date sometime during E3.

GoldenAgeHero said:
i dont expect them to give themfor free, but imnot open to a steep price like 20 bucks for a download. 5 bucks seemmore appropriate. it'll be cooler if they went the way of itunes and price them at 99 cents each. the part that sucks is not having the old games updated (graphics wise)

I don't think Nintendo would have $20 for a download. You could probably buy it used cheaper than that.

btw, will the new controller have the vibration thingie?
Rumble pak? I don't think so. Though there may be a shell that has one.

Spidey-Bat said:
Rumble pak? I don't think so. Though there may be a shell that has one.

I don't think they'd have too easy of a time getting people to accept it without some sort of rumble function, because it's become so engrained into gamers minds.

TheEvolutionist said:
I don't think they'd have too easy of a time getting people to accept it without some sort of rumble function, because it's become so engrained into gamers minds.
Yet at the same time, Nintendo negated a rumble feature for the wavebird at it worked fine. Personally I'm hoping they have it for the revo controller, but I'm not expecting it. Anywho, what hypes me most is SSB news. Screens, a video, hell just some new playable characters is all I need. Everything else is just frosting for me.... well, save for a new LoZ video. You wouldn't believe how badly I want to play that game. Yeah, Nintendo is gonna own this E3.

nintendo revo need to have a rumble pack or else the controller seems useless, if im swining a sword and hit an object i want to feel that action. actually i think it has one.

nintendo_control.jpg

no way in hell could it be that think without the rumble function.

I'm expecting the downloadable games to be no less then 3 bucks.

jaydawg said:
Yet at the same time, Nintendo negated a rumble feature for the wavebird at it worked fine. Personally I'm hoping they have it for the revo controller, but I'm not expecting it. Anywho, what hypes me most is SSB news. Screens, a video, hell just some new playable characters is all I need. Everything else is just frosting for me.... well, save for a new LoZ video. You wouldn't believe how badly I want to play that game. Yeah, Nintendo is gonna own this E3.
I hope Nintendo plays the intro video to SSBR/W. It'd be awesome if Kid Icarus was in it and they said "This will not be the only time you see some familiar faces this generation."

4f66l-eCPH_CgO54YcKUd5pfmmaM7C4U.jpg

i want the lime green one.

ygUrLWfBbkLmSZw4qpbZBkHWwhfjOrfc.jpg

i didnt know it had a z button i was about to worry why there was less buttons on the remote.

I think it'll be cool to mix analog parts with the remote.

I wonder if Target, TRU, Walmart, etc. will have the Wii out on the floor with demos like they do with the Xbox, PS2, and GC.

"It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them... The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room."

Hmmm... Sounds good. :up:

The 'Wiimote control' is going to be such a cool thing to use... I want one now :(

I'm so pumped for this event! There should be lots of news, last years conference kinda sucked balls.

Hopefully they'll reveals launch titles and show them. They'll give out price point, and they'll show the online setup for Wii.

Can't wait for Nintendo's press conference. I'm very interested in how SSB 3 will play with Wiimote.

I'm most pumped for Microsofts, 'cause I have no money for more systems. :(

I'm trying to save up money myself, but since I know I'll only have money for one, it'll be the Wii.

You just know Nintendo are going to steal the show this year.

Spidey-Bat said:
I hope Nintendo plays the intro video to SSBR/W. It'd be awesome if Kid Icarus was in it and they said "This will not be the only time you see some familiar faces this generation."
I have to say, seeing Pit again would be sweet. He could totally be Nintendo's Kratos. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"