E3 2011: Nintendo Edition

Okay then I want them to make a game that looks more like Super Mario Bros 4. I want a new Mario game that draws more inspiration from that title in both aesthetics and gameplay.

Im so disappointed, the graphics still look bad compared to ps3/360, so how is it more powerful?

Battlefield didn't look nearly as good on their console as it did on the other systems, just sayin'

Turns out that the footage Nintendo used were from 360 and PS3 games and not Wii U, so yeah.....don't know how you're coming to that conclusion

http://kotaku.com/5809744/nintendo-used-360-ps3--pc-game-footage-in-its-wii-u-demo-reel

[YT]iMpXAknykeg[/YT]

Did anyone really think all those games were running on Wii U? :confused:

Did anyone really think all those games were running on Wii U? :confused:
Well apparently, Nintendo must have pulled a GameTrailers to make those 360 and PS3 games look worse for their presentation :oldrazz:

I just want a Zelda game that looks like that tech demo. And Metroid.

Nintendo’s E3 2011 Mystery Developer Q&A -
Pikmin 3 for Wii U confirmed!!!

+ Miyamoto says Retro Studios providing support in designing 3D courses for Mario Kart (Chris Kohler). DKCR assets for the jungle levels?
+ Aonuma says boss sword fights are exciting in Skyward Swords
+ Super Mario 3DS still a working title. Final name will be decided later.
+ Lots of exploration in Skyward Swords. Sword will help you find items.
+ Flying through the air and swordplay are big elements of Skyward Swords
+ Aonuma promises that environments outside of dungeons,. will be just as intersting.
+ Koizumi wanted to create the most "mario" 3d game ever in Super Mario 3DS
+ Koizumi considered tempo and excitement vastly into the teams design of Mario 3D
+ Koizumi and team decided to bring back tanooki suit and traditional flags over stars.
+ Super Mario 3DS levels are shorter.
+ Super Mario 3DS has a zelda style dungeon level in honor of 25th anniversary.
+ Luigi's Mansion 2 very far in development. But Nintendo may opt to release it early 2012
+ Luigi's Mansion 2 being developed by Next Level Games in Canada. The Punch Out team.
+ Miyamoto taking lots of responsibility for Luigis Mansion 2
+ Takashi Tezuka takes stage to explain origins of Tanooki Suit
+ Miyamoto says his team is working very hard on Star Fox 64. People better buy it!
+ Wii Vitality Sensor (Wii Relax?) still being worked on at Nintendo
+ Piikmin WiiU Confirmed
+ Nintendo is working on WiiU games. (We've seen them). But the corporate line is not to announce it officially yet. But Miyamoto wanted to at least announce Pikmin himself.

Super Mario 3d's gonna be weird. Super Mario 64 was still a Mario, but there were so many elements of the 2d games that were left out. But 3d seems so different from 64. So many of it's gameplay elements are apparently not in SM3d, from star collecting to the health gauge, it's as if they're starting over from scratch and pretending this is the first 3d Mario, but this time attempting to include as much of the classic 2d gameplay as they can.

That New Smash Bros. Game Iwata Mentioned? That Doesn't Really Exist Yet...
Remember when Satoru Iwata was talking all excitedly about Nintendo's exciting franchises and how excited he was about how they were all coming to the Wii U and 3DS and stuff? Right, so he may have been a little too excited, it seems, as he actually announced at least one game that doesn't even exist yet.

That game would be the next in the Super Smash Bros. series, which Iwata proudly proclaimed would be coming to both the Wii U and 3DS. Series creator Masahiro Sakurai doesn't dispute that notion, but he would like you to know that he hasn't even started thinking about that game yet.

It's worth noting that Iwata has done this in the past--and it was with Smash Bros., too!

Sakurai apparently opted to use his regular column in Weekly Famitsu (translated by 1UP) to dispel the notion that a new Smash Bros. game was far enough along in development to even be considered a thing yet. Sakurai's studio, Project Sora, is solely focused on Kid Icarus: Uprising at this point in time, and hasn't even begun work on Smash Bros. yet.

"We've got no plans whatsoever -- we've got two new games out in the open when there's no extra time to work with them at all. It makes me cringe, and I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to make gamers wait for several years, but the early announcement was made chiefly in order to attract new team members."
Several years is probably not the phrase you wanted to hear when asking how far off the next Smash Bros. game was, but it's not like Nintendo releases a gaggle of these things every year, anyway. On the plus side, Sakurai had plenty to say on the decision to make the (eventual) game for both the Wii U and 3DS, instead of just one or the other.

"If we went solely for the Wii U," he said, "the HD graphics would really bump up the visual effects, but then we'd be stuck in another arms race. If we made this game another extension over previous one, we'd have to cut out the new things we could possibly do on the 3DS hardware and compete with ourselves again over the size of the character roster and the amount of gameplay we can put it. It wouldn't be a fruitful competition, but doing something completely new would be difficult for many reasons, not least of which that the gamers may not be satisfied with it. That's why we decided to think about ways to link the personal connection one has with his portable system to the gather-around-and-play aspect of console systems."
So, at the very least, Sakurai has clearly been putting some thought into this next Smash Bros. project. Still, the man sounds a tad harried and a little uncomfortable with the strains now placed upon his head and the heads of his team.

"The hardest part about game development is the burdens it places upon me," he said. "With previous projects I had a game design document in place before forming a team, but with this I don't have the time for that. I won't be able to look at every aspect of the game and balance out all the characters by myself this time. I'm trying to think about how this is going to work out, but probably I'll have to discuss it with my future development team. The future of this project really depends on the people I can get involved with it."

Here's hoping he can find himself a future development team capable of taking some of the load off his shoulders. And, also, possibly squeeze in a vacation sometime.

Brawl was born out of a similar way too early announcement.

Last edited:
Sakurai already said in yet another interview (for Kid Icarus) that they won't even begin any SSB game until KI: Uprising is finished. Brawl took a long time to develop, and a long time to gather the people needed. He even revealed a startling fact I never knew: that even though Mario, Link, Zelda, Samus, Pikachu, all these characters are collectively owned by Nintendo, he still has to go through a lot of channels to get "permissions" to use these characters, because the development teams that handle each Nintendo franchise has to have say over how the characters are used and if the characters are portrayed accurately. There is a ton of stuff that has to go into just getting a SSB game off the ground. So I highly believe that the earliest anyone will see a new SSB game is 2014.

Though considering that the gap between Melee and Brawl was 7 years, I'm not surprised. I still play Brawl and now I have MvC3, so I'm in no hurry to rush out another SSB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"