Early Guardians of the Galaxy Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

When I do get my hands on the 3D blu ray, it's a first day buy/watch for me. I just got my garage (which was converted into my home theater) cleaned out. My home theater ended up being the staging area for some landscaping we're doing until I was able to get some outdoor storage sheds for my saws, shovels, grinder, tool kits, cabling, etc.

2. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It's a good looking picture so should look great on your setup. It's going to be on repeat for me for a fair while. :yay:

3. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Maybe different release for US. I'm in UK. Seems like a big difference in this case though.

4. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Ah ha. Mystery solved. I should have noticed that you are from Londinium. Yeah, I can't frelling wait for its release here. I've got my 3D HD projector and blu ray player all warmed up; as well as a 120" screen and surround sound. I'm totally geeking out about buying the movie. I'm tempted to rent it on PPV, but the resolution isn't as good and I don't "think" they have it in 3D (which I happen to like when I'm about 10 feet from my screen :hubba ).

5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, will be worth the wait for the proper disc. I want to upgrade to a 4K projector when they start releasing these films on that format. GOTG would look absolutely beautiful.

6. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yeah. That'll be pretty awesome. I'll probably want to go to a 160" screen when the prices come down on the 4K PJs and they release movies in that format. That's basically theater quality resolution (with some exceptions). I wish everybody would just decide on an aspect ratio and be done with it. GotG was really, really well shot. Plus it had a really entertaining storyline. I think "Hugo" might have been the best cinematography I've seen. The 3D was spectacular. If all 3D movies were of that caliber visually, it would have a much bigger footprint in the industry.

7. Vincanws Registered

The 3D is tremendous on the blu ray. However it will never compare with my theatre experiences of this film in sound or 3D.

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

A 4k 3D 160" screen will be pretty handy for watching AoU on too!

9. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Every time I used to go to the old IMAX at the Howard Hughes Center in Los Angeles, I used to think "Man, I wish I had one of these bad boys in my garage". Unfortunately my garage doesn't have a wall that's 100 x 70 feet (I need some room on the side to access the beer in the refrigerator). That being said, there are some REALLY gnarly sound systems out there and the HT technology has been jumping by leaps and bounds.

GotG is a first day buy and watch for me, but, at this point in time, you're right. It's not the same. "IF", however, you get adequate real estate, you could put together a killer setup and 4K would only add to the experience. The sound costs some major bank (especially when the technology is new), but some pretty nice projectors come down in price in a relatively short period of time. We're getting there. HT is a coming thing and projection systems have so much potential that it boggles my mind. I set up a 80" screen and HD projector in my son's room so he can game and it takes up literally no room. TV's take up space and they aren't that pleasing to look at when they aren't in use.

10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah if you have the wall space recreating a low level cinema is not beyond range any more. A cinema is just a screen and a sound system with inefficient seating while in your own setup you can tailor the sound and screen to fit the best seat in the house. My sound system is really expensive but my projector just average as I thought tech was moving too fast on that end and I'd want to upgrade. If I could find a house with one floor overlooking a 2 floor wall (my friend has that) then I could project to a screen size comparable to a small cinema, and with 4K the quality should be similar too. But even then I'd want to go and see all the main films at the cinema as it's an experience in itself.

11. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I agree with regard to going and seeing the first runs. First, you don't have access to high quality recordings when a movie first comes out and, second, it isn't the same. I clearly remember walking out of the theater after watching GotG with a big grin on my face and thinking it made up for all the earlier disappointments post CA:TWS. I'm talking that major turd of a Xformers movie in particular, but SpiderMan kind of sucked too....and there were others...

It IS fun, however, to have a nice HT setup so you can "re-enjoy" the cool movies you saw a few months earlier. IMO, GotG was (all around) better than CA:TWS, but it probably just sat a little better with me. I enjoyed both of them immensely and have no problem with anyone who disagrees with my assessment.

While this thread is basically (as should be expected) beat, I've had a great time reading everyone's comments and posting my own. Talk to you all on the Avengers, Ant-Man, Black Panther, etc. threads.

Cheers to all.

12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

See you there!

GotG really opened up this universe for me and is the 1st film to seriously surprise me. I'm so glad they had the balls to do it and not hold back. Can't wait for GotG2 and hopefully it's a billion dollar film
    :cool:

13. Lorenzaccio Registered

I may have missed it, but nobody is talking about the fact that Catching Fire I may not reach GotG domestically...
    After that, only the new Hobbit could dethrone GotG from the first place!

14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

There's a fair chance of that depending on how big/small the next couple of weekends are. It was discussed recently but will continue to be relevant of course.

15. Vincanws Registered

I don't think I'd describe either of those particular films as being 'better' as much as 'different' from each other. They're going for very different things, so it's almost hard for me to say one or the other is better than the other. I think The Winter Soldier achieves what it set out to do exceptionally well, and I think GOTG did the same for what it was going for, so for me they're about on a par. If GOTG if basically all round better for you then great though.

16. Lorenzaccio Registered

I agree. They are very different movies, with a different "mood", so that sometimes I find myself willing to re-watch certain scenes of one movie, and sometimes scenes of the other movie. But, I must confess, the fight scenes with Winter Soldier/Bucky jumping and punching and shooting are still unbeatable as watch-rewatch-watch again moments, at least for me.

17. First Avenger Registered

Spot on.

18. SomeOldGuy Registered

BOM estimates $485k for Friday-Sunday. With the full week it's probably got it.

19. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

"IMO, GotG was (all around) better than CA:TWS, but it probably just sat a little better with me".

Cinematography is also a big deal to me. Loved "Hugo" because of that.

20. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Yep, $331,854,000. It is now officially the superhero movie with the best WOM/legs since the first Blade movie in 1998, and that was on a far smaller scale. As far as big blockbuster films go it's the leggiest superhero movie since Batman'89.

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

And the sequel as a result will blast out of the gate on opening weekend. I really loved this film. Have watched it every day since the blu-ray arrived. And next time around there won't be any awareness issues hampering its early performance plus overseas is gonna get much bigger. Plus the MCU I think will be in a whole other place, uncharted territory, post AoU.

22. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

I thought The Dark Knight had great legs? It was in theaters for about seven months or so.

23. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

It did have great legs, but the 1st Spider-man movie had even better legs and now GotG has bested SM1.

24. SomeOldGuy Registered

Over the $332 million mark domestically with this weekend's take. $771.8 million WW. Not bad at all.

Mockingjay will pass The Lego Movie and Winter Soldier today or tomorrow to climb into the No. 2 spot on the 2014 domestic list, but its legs have been as weak as predicted after opening weekend. Fingers crossed that Guardians holds onto the top spot. (And if it has to be beat let it be Bilbo or Moses, not Katniss!)

25. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I don't see The Hobbit going over 330M. It's possible I suppose. The last round seems to usually do best (LoTR being an example) if it's well received.

Edit: Also I don't see The Hunger Games in quite the same way as I do Twilight or some of those other movies. My daughter met Jennifer Lawrence and said she's really nice and funny. Watch the hatin':oldrazz:

#975 InCali, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.