Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions - Part 2

Ok just found this on the Japanese opening numbers...Great News!!!!

Thor: The Dark World comes in at #3. The film earned ¥187,085,300 ($1.8 million) with 144,456 admissions on 627 screens. The sequel pulled off an impressive 43% increase over the first film, and will come close to achieving the ¥1 billion ($10 million) mark.

Ok just found this on the Japanese opening numbers...Great News!!!!

Thor: The Dark World comes in at #3. The film earned ¥187,085,300 ($1.8 million) with 144,456 admissions on 627 screens. The sequel pulled off an impressive 43% increase over the first film, and will come close to achieving the ¥1 billion ($10 million) mark.

Excellent news!!

^^ That's damn impressive if you ask me.

Good stuff. Puts the ww total a bit closer to my 650 million prediction.

A shame all the marvel movies open so late in Japan. They're leaving a lot of cash on the table. Anyone know why this is the case?

Glad to see that Thor's new popularity surge is holding. I was initially hoping TDW would reach $700 worldwide but I'd be more than happy with seeing it reach $650 million.

Glad to see that Thor's new popularity surge is holding. I was initially hoping TDW would reach $700 worldwide but I'd be more than happy with seeing it reach $650 million.

Agreed. He's such a great character and he deserves his new-found fame.:word:

Thor 2 made more than Iron Man 2, if you had told me that 2 years ago.....

IM2 didn't have 3D though did it? Still impressive, 200 million increase from the first one. Now only if it was a better film and had great word of mouth...

I have been watching TDW at home for the past couple of days and you would not believe the small details you missed while at the theatre.
Say what you will about Portman but she still looks stunning in her Asgard garb...
The Viking funeral still gives me chills, It looks and sounds breathtaking on my home theatre setup...
:waa:Damn where did I lay the tissues...

Last edited:
IM2 didn't have 3D though did it? Still impressive, 200 million increase from the first one. Now only if it was a better film and had great word of mouth...

Didn't seem like the word of mouth for TDW was particularly bad from what I can. Many that I saw on Twitter & various other sites said that it was a very enjoyable movie for them.

As for it being better than IM2, that's a matter of opinion. I think it most certainly is because it has a much more interesting & less one dimensional villain, and overall better action and, imo, a more engaging story.

But, again, all of that is relative to opinion.

And with this increase in Thor's numbers, I'd hope that will translate over to Thor 3. Though, with AoU due to be out next year, all of the movies released after are sure to benefit from it's success (assuming it does as good or better than the first, of course).

I think those are solid numbers...some have said they aren't impressive but it's a significant boost over the first film both domestically & internationally. He should end up between $640-650 WW, me thinks.

Most Movie studios would give their right arm just to get Thor's Domestic numbers, let alone his Foreign numbers..
So yes its quite impressive...
Disney looks at this as a complete and total success...

now at
Worldwide: $639,608,339
closing in on 640,000,000

Not too shabby. They get an A lister to play Surtur in #3 and 800 million is a real possibility. Well that or an extended love scene.

Man I'm looking foreword to Thor 3. lol

I wish it had made more than Man of Steel.

I wish it had made more than Man of Steel.

It technically did by being more profitable. MoS cost $225 million, which I again stress was $5 million more than The Avengers, which made $1.5 billion whereas MoS made $668 million worldwide.

Thor: TDW cost $170 million, made $204 million domestically & raked in over $400 million overseas. It already outdid MoS by having a significantly smaller budget ($55 million less, to be exact) & doing relatively the same numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"