Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think FF6 opening weekend was about 97 mil. Hopefully Thor's will be in that neighborhood.

I think FF6 opening weekend was about 97 mil. Hopefully Thor's will be in that neighborhood.

FF6 also had The Hangover III to contend with which cut in on it's potential considerably.

People these are HUGE numbers for a non-Holiday weekend. Non-Summer season.

So everyone's just gonna ignore these post and continue calling the numbers "disappointing"?

Interesting....

I normally can't see Dent's posts because I put him on ignore and therefore never comment on his stuff, but that post you quoted of his is 100% correct and he is dead on right.

Finke is reporting that the overseas total is currently $141.9m. Some folks on boxoffice.com are saying it could be $240-250m by Monday.

TDW reportedly scored $7.1m in the midnight opening in the US.

FF6 did $6.5m

With Thor's numbers, this is already Disney's most successful year ever in the overseas market. Thor was the fourth largest opening weekend of the year overseas, which is pretty darned good for an early November opening.

Latest box office tracking by pretty much everyone (Variety, boxoffice.com, etc.) is suggesting around a $95MM opening weekend domestically, which would be terrific if it happens. Esp since Disney was projecting an $80MM opening just recently.

Btw, Disney reports 7.1MM last night. Considered "impressive" by boxoffice.com. And Fandango reports that 85% of their advance weekend sales were for TDW.

Since it's midnight showing numbers were higher than Fast & Furious 6 why would it's opening weekend be smaller?

A couple of possible factors. Is the Thor/Marvel franchise more or less frontloaded than FF one? Also, its different time of release. Comparing it to something like Skyfall might be more appropriate.

A couple of possible factors. Is the Thor/Marvel franchise more or less frontloaded than FF one? Also, its different time of release. Comparing it to something like Skyfall might be more appropriate.

I highly doubt it's more front loaded than FF6, especially with the strong competition it had from Hangover III.

Last edited:
So you're saying Thor should be more frontloaded? Hangover 3 did give FF6 some competition but not as much cause it was released one day earlier.

So you're saying Thor should be more frontloaded? Hangover 3 did give FF6 some competition but not as much cause it was released one day earlier.

Lol thanks for catching that, I meant I doubt it's "more" front loaded than FF6. Yeah The Hangover came out a day before FF6 but Thor: TDW has virtually zero competition.

With Thor's numbers, this is already Disney's most successful year ever in the overseas market. Thor was the fourth largest opening weekend of the year overseas, which is pretty darned good for an early November opening.

Latest box office tracking by pretty much everyone (Variety, boxoffice.com, etc.) is suggesting around a $95MM opening weekend domestically, which would be terrific if it happens. Esp since Disney was projecting an $80MM opening just recently.

Btw, Disney reports 7.1MM last night. Considered "impressive" by boxoffice.com. And Fandango reports that 85% of their advance weekend sales were for TDW.
Studios typically underestimate on purpose.

Less than half of Iron Man 3's numbers. I think it's headed for 85-90mil this weekend.

Less than half of Iron Man 3's numbers. I think it's headed for 85-90mil this weekend.
That'd actually be pretty good since it'd almost be a doubling of Thor's opening weekend in 2011. Adjustments for inflation make it less than double, but still not bad numbers for a superhero many didn't know much about.

Those would be good numbers but that's nowhere near doubling Thor's opening weekend. It would have to do about 130mil to double. It's a good increase though.

I say it's going to do atleast 100 million, call me crazy.

If The Dark World does 100+mil this weekend I'm going to be predicting 200mil for Catching Fire.

We should know soon if it will hit 100 milion this weekend.

If The Dark World does 100+mil this weekend I'm going to be predicting 200mil for Catching Fire.
I was ALREADY thinking that was possible for Catching Fire,
I Just figured everybody here would call me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"