World Eddie Brock's Club house part 2

Wow, well that's certainly interesting.. Cool that Flash-Venom is making his way into other books already.

Here's Tony Moore's unused cover to Venom #7.

venom_7_cover___maybe_by_eraserx-d3rhq51.jpg

I like this picture:
SEP110544.jpg

The right half captures the sadistic grin that McFarlane drew Venom with very well, and I would love to see that as a whole face.

Wow, well that's certainly interesting.. Cool that Flash-Venom is making his way into other books already.

Here's Tony Moore's unused cover to Venom #7.

venom_7_cover___maybe_by_eraserx-d3rhq51.jpg
And tbh, I'm not surprised. Flash as Venom has worked out very well so far. :up:

I have a question: What the hell happens to Eddie Brock's facial features, particularly his nose and ears, when he transforms into Venom?
ASM316.jpg

Well, it becomes sort of like there are 2 faces, I think.

That doesn't really explain what happens to Brock's ears and especially his nose, which seems to be absent completely from Venom's face.
Venom-Black-Cat.png

Last edited:
Anyone else wonder why exactly the protruding tongue, drool, and expressed desire for brains that Erik Larsen added out of spite have stuck with Venom over the years?

Not sure. I don't mind the toungue and some drool, but I don't like when it's over done.

Not sure. I don't mind the toungue and some drool, but I don't like when it's over done.

The tongue to me doesn't really work well for a character like Venom known for their dark wisecracks. There's a reason you never see Venom speak with their tongue out even in animation, and, in fact, several reasons. First, their speech would be unintelligible. Second, combining the rapid opening and closing of one's mouth during the act of speech, sharp teeth, and a tongue protruding from said mouth is more than likely going to result in Venom biting their own tongue off.

The Venom Rules: How They've Changed...There are a handful of changes that have been established to the Venom moniker. I picked my three biggest bugaboos to rant over. It just pisses me off how Marvel writers come up with stuff like this and it sticks. You guys have tongue issues? Bee's, please. Take a gander at these rants. Give me attention!

The Venom symbiote (or any symbiote) never altered the mass of its wearer. Eddie's Height & Weight were always stated as a 6'3/260 lb, same as Venom...with or without the symbiote. Now, it always "varies". All current handbooks and official bios state that when Eddie/Flash/Cletus/etc. have their symbiotes "on", their heights and weights varies. Even the artist have gone the route of having these characters "Beef Up" or "Hulk Out", taking human-esque characters and transforming them into giant ogres that hardly resemble their base forms. I know Eddie is a big guy, but realistically, how the hell could he ever morph into a giant Venom, the likes of which would have to registered with its own Zip Code?

The symbiotes were always portrayed as emotionless beings that used empathy to understand and express emotions. The Venom symbiote only learned its few emotions from Spider-Man after being his costume for a while, and after being bonded to Eddie for so long, it learned to express hatred and jealousy. The Carnage symbiote took from Cletus violence and madness. But overall the symbiotes were never any alignment. There were no good symbiotes or bad symbiotes (I'm referring to the aliens only). They were just neutral creatures acting on instinct. Parasites by nature are not evil. They are harmful creatures, but not "evil".

At worst, the symbiotes were able to bring out the worst in its host. Eddie is a prime example. He was a bitter, angry man driven by revenge and hate. The symbiote amplified what was already there and made Eddie excessively vengful while also taking cues from Eddie into itself. The symbiote never really drove Eddie to do what he did; Eddie was already psychotic. It just put more stress on a weak foundation, while giving Eddie the means to actually act on his impulses. Now, Marvel just states "the Venom symbiote is evil". As in, the symbiote purposely tries to drag down its host into darkness. We see with Flash how the Venom symbiote is trying its hardest to make Flash into a person he isn't. We saw in "The Hunger" (Spectacular Spider-Man) how the Venom symbiote was acting as a malicious, scheming entity all on its own, only using Eddie as a tool. The Venom symbiote has just become its own character that is no longer "chaotic neutral"...just plain black & white eviiiiiiil.

Onto the symbiote acting like its own character, that's another thing Marvel keeps doing that has changed from what was established. Back in the good old days, the definition of Marvel's Venom was "Eddie Brock and the symbiote". Marvel rewrote this definition as "The symbiote IS Venom". This devalues the character that happens to be donning the symbiote. It makes it seem as if anyone who wears the symbiote, regardless of what the Human side can bring to the table, once "Venom" comes into play, the character as a whole will just act like any other person with "Venom" on them. It peeves me when people refer to the symbiote alone as Venom.
"What was your favorite part of Spider-Man 3?"

"When Spider-Man had Venom. I liked him better that way."

The Venom Rules: How They've Changed...There are a handful of changes that have been established to the Venom moniker. I picked my three biggest bugaboos to rant over. It just pisses me off how Marvel writers come up with stuff like this and it sticks. You guys have tongue issues? Bee's, please. Take a gander at these rants. Give me attention!

The Venom symbiote (or any symbiote) never altered the mass of its wearer. Eddie's Height & Weight were always stated as a 6'3/260 lb, same as Venom...with or without the symbiote. Now, it always "varies". All current handbooks and official bios state that when Eddie/Flash/Cletus/etc. have their symbiotes "on", their heights and weights varies. Even the artist have gone the route of having these characters "Beef Up" or "Hulk Out", taking human-esque characters and transforming them into giant ogres that hardly resemble their base forms. I know Eddie is a big guy, but realistically, how the hell could he ever morph into a giant Venom, the likes of which would have to registered with its own Zip Code?

The symbiotes were always portrayed as emotionless beings that used empathy to understand and express emotions. The Venom symbiote only learned its few emotions from Spider-Man after being his costume for a while, and after being bonded to Eddie for so long, it learned to express hatred and jealousy. The Carnage symbiote took from Cletus violence and madness. But overall the symbiotes were never any alignment. There were no good symbiotes or bad symbiotes (I'm referring to the aliens only). They were just neutral creatures acting on instinct. Parasites by nature are not evil. They are harmful creatures, but not "evil".

At worst, the symbiotes were able to bring out the worst in its host. Eddie is a prime example. He was a bitter, angry man driven by revenge and hate. The symbiote amplified what was already there and made Eddie excessively vengful while also taking cues from Eddie into itself. The symbiote never really drove Eddie to do what he did; Eddie was already psychotic. It just put more stress on a weak foundation, while giving Eddie the means to actually act on his impulses. Now, Marvel just states "the Venom symbiote is evil". As in, the symbiote purposely tries to drag down its host into darkness. We see with Flash how the Venom symbiote is trying its hardest to make Flash into a person he isn't. We saw in "The Hunger" (Spectacular Spider-Man) how the Venom symbiote was acting as a malicious, scheming entity all on its own, only using Eddie as a tool. The Venom symbiote has just become its own character that is no longer "chaotic neutral"...just plain black & white eviiiiiiil.

Onto the symbiote acting like its own character, that's another thing Marvel keeps doing that has changed from what was established. Back in the good old days, the definition of Marvel's Venom was "Eddie Brock and the symbiote". Marvel rewrote this definition as "The symbiote IS Venom". This devalues the character that happens to be donning the symbiote. It makes it seem as if anyone who wears the symbiote, regardless of what the Human side can bring to the table, once "Venom" comes into play, the character as a whole will just act like any other person with "Venom" on them. It peeves me when people refer to the symbiote alone as Venom.
"What was your favorite part of Spider-Man 3?"

"When Spider-Man had Venom. I liked him better that way."

I agree!

What do you, my fellow Venom fans, love about the character?
Personally, I love Venom because of the following
  • His dark, sadistic sense of humor and wisecracks. It's really fun to see a smartass like Spider-Man fight a villain who he can exchange banter with.
  • The fear factor. Venom is a very formidable foe, and I can feel Spidey's fear and dread when he comes up against him.
  • His look. I love monster movies like Alien, The Howling, An American Werewolf In London, The Thing, et cetera, and Venom's look mixes that with Spider-Man's awesome black suit.

What do you, my fellow Venom fans, love about the character?

Personally, I love Venom because of the following
  • His dark, sadistic sense of humor and wisecracks. It's really fun to see a smartass like Spider-Man fight a villain who he can exchange banter with.
  • The fear factor. Venom is a very formidable foe, and I can feel Spidey's fear and dread when he comes up against him.
  • His look. I love monster movies like Alien, The Howling, An American Werewolf In London, The Thing, et cetera, and Venom's look mixes that with Spider-Man's awesome black suit.

First,I love his look. The colors of black and white work well together and he just looks like a monster from a horror film. Not someone you'd want to run into in a dark alley. I also love how he is Spider-man's evil double. His doppelganger. Like someone once said,he's what Spidey could become if he ever lost control. He has all his powers,but can block his spider sense. He literally is Spider-man's most personal and deadly opponent. I also love the symbiote itself,and it's origin. And how it(at least later on)feeds on dark emotions and corrupted it's host(whether it be Parker or Brock). And I understand and identify with Brock. This depressed,angry at the world guy who really has trouble controlling his darkside. He is a complicated man who really wants to be good and wants to be accepted and loved(like we all do),but when you take his anger and combine it with the symbiote,you have an unstable man trapped inside a monster. I also love how Venom calls himself "we." Just a really cool character,with a cool origin story and a desire not for money or power,but to destroy and murder one person:Spider-man.

First,I love his look. The colors of black and white work well together and he just looks like a monster from a horror film. Not someone you'd want to run into in a dark alley. I also love how he is Spider-man's evil double. His doppelganger. Like someone once said,he's what Spidey could become if he ever lost control. He has all his powers,but can block his spider sense. He literally is Spider-man's most personal and deadly opponent. I also love the symbiote itself,and it's origin. And how it(at least later on)feeds on dark emotions and corrupted it's host(whether it be Parker or Brock). And I understand and identify with Brock. This depressed,angry at the world guy who really has trouble controlling his darkside. He is a complicated man who really wants to be good and wants to be accepted and loved(like we all do),but when you take his anger and combine it with the symbiote,you have an unstable man trapped inside a monster. I also love how Venom calls himself "we." Just a really cool character,with a cool origin story and a desire not for money or power,but to destroy and murder one person:Spider-man.

Agreed!

I think what's gone wrong with Venom over the years is similar to what happened to Freddy Krueger during the course of the A Nightmare On Elm Street series. Much like Freddy Krueger, as Venom grew in popularity, he transformed from the antagonist into the main character. At one point in the 90s, Spider-Man was introduced with the phrase "From the pages of Venom" when he guest starred in another comic book. This demonstrates that philosophy to a T. Venom was no longer Spider-Man's ultimate challenge and a representation of his dark side, he became the star who Spider-Man would defeat and put away until the next time sales called for his appearance.

I think what's gone wrong with Venom over the years is similar to what happened to Freddy Krueger during the course of the A Nightmare On Elm Street series. Much like Freddy Krueger, as Venom grew in popularity, he transformed from the antagonist into the main character. At one point in the 90s, Spider-Man was introduced with the phrase "From the pages of Venom" when he guest starred in another comic book. This demonstrates that philosophy to a T. Venom was no longer Spider-Man's ultimate challenge and a representation of his dark side, he became the star who Spider-Man would defeat and put away until the next time sales called for his appearance.

In the 90's Venom more or less became a name to sell comic books. Marvel must have thought,"Well,he's SO popular,but how can we make even more money off Venom? Because he obviously can't be a sadistic villain with his own comic book. Ok,well...let's make him kind of a hero!" That softened his image greatly. Of course,being a huge Krueger fanatic,I can identify. All characters have to grow and change. But As the Elm Street series became more and more popular,Freddy was change to "appeal" to a wider audience. He was less brutal,scary dream monster and more comedic anti-hero.

In the 90's Venom more or less became a name to sell comic books. Marvel must have thought,"Well,he's SO popular,but how can we make even more money off Venom? Because he obviously can't be a sadistic villain with his own comic book. Ok,well...let's make him kind of a hero!" That softened his image greatly. Of course,being a huge Krueger fanatic,I can identify. All characters have to grow and change. But As the Elm Street series became more and more popular,Freddy was change to "appeal" to a wider audience. He was less brutal,scary dream monster and more comedic anti-hero.

Agreed.

Real cool life sized Venom statue that hung up in the old Marvel Mania restaurant.

unledxyk.png

Venom mask mold from the making of The Green Goblin's Last Stand documentary back when the project was originally going to be a 5-10 minute trailer reel of nonstop battles. Pretty McFarlane-esque.

img20111111155421.png

That is so awesome, why don't I know about this???

Unfortunately that's all that exists on that, the idea of a 5-10 minute action reel was scrapped shortly after in production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"