Edgar Wright / Joe Cornish 'Story by' credit

Vincanws

Civilian
Reaction score
It seems that there is no script credit for Wright or Cornish Joe, and it's a page one re-write by Adam Mckay and Paul Rudd.

http://collider.com/ant-man-script-credits-paul-rudd-edgar-wright/

Now seeing as James Gunn did a re-write of Guardians of the Galaxy, any ideas why original writer Nicole Perlman got co-writer credited for that? I understand why James was peeved about it. Weird?

And then Joss Whedon got sole credit on Avengers after his re-write too.

It says Rudd and McKay spent 6 weeks on the script. I am really hoping things turn out alright, but Edgar /Joe basically worked on and off on drafts over 7 or 8 years!

Wright may have asked that his name be removed. That's my best guess.

Now seeing as James Gunn did a re-write of Guardians of the Galaxy, any ideas why original writer Nicole Perlman got co-writer credited for that?
Probably because enough of Perlmans script survived the rewrite

I'm still sad about Wright and Cornish's departure and it'll forever be in the "What if?" archives of my mind, but McKay and Rudd are no slouches when it comes to scripting either, so I have faith they'll have pulled together a script strong and distinctive enough to merit their writer credit.

Probably because enough of Perlmans script survived the rewrite

Gunn has taken full credit for the script though which I took to meaning he basically re-wrote the whole thing and there's nothing of her dialogue in it. Hence she should get a 'story by' credit only. I agree with the above comments and think Edgar requested to be taken off the script credit. It must be that much of a different script I guess.

It'll be interesting to get Edgar's take on the Reed version of the movie, and whether we'll ever get to read his version might-have been etc.

I think we will hear Edgar Wrights' vision of the film eventually.

The basic story of the movie and some of the plot is probably the same as Edgar and Joe's version which is why they got a story credit.

I think the dialogue probably had some serious input change from Adam Mckay and Paul Rudd

I think Wrights' vision was in line with his other films. It would have been a parody of sorts of the Superhero genre, but at the same time sincere in it's approach. What Shaun of the Dead is to zombie movies, Ant-Man would have been to Superhero movies.

When the MCU started, Marvel didn't want that anymore. Wright tried accommodating them, but at some point there were so many re-writes that it was no longer his vision of the film.

What it feels like is Edgar would oblige and do a re-write for Marvel, and then another and another, (we know this because Edgar talked about doing them over the years) and eventually got to the point where Marvel realised they didn't really like Edgar's approach. The problem is they seemed to arrive at this point about a month or so before production was supposed to start and threw out Edgar's script!

It still seems weird that it came that close to the wire after all their pre-production, to have to essentially do a page on re-write and delay production start proper. Like everyone else I'm hoping for a great movie, though the more I think about what went down, the more I'm concerned about what this could be. I'm mostly expecting to be blown away though .. that concept art is great, the trailer is ok though can't really quite get a handle on the tone off that teaser as there were several.

I don't think its weird at all. I think it was simply both parties working amicably, and figuring they'll work out their differences by the start of production. Only, one day, production actually did start, and both sides realized the other party *really did mean it* when they said certain things.

Its easy to assume "minor issues" can be worked out later when you have years of later to go. For that matter, its also easy to assume "minor issues" are actually minor issues, as opposed to great big conflicts of vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"