Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filmmaker and studio split “due to differences in their vision of the film”

Edgar Wright has left the Marvel Universe.

The “Cornetto Trilogy” and “Scott Pilgrim” director and the Disney-owned Marvel Studios announced in a joint statement that he has left the big screen adaptation of “Ant-Man,” which stars Paul Rudd.

“Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on ANT-MAN due to differences in their vision of the film,” a statement read. “The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly.”

http://www.thewrap.com/edgar-wright-exits-marvels-ant-man/

WHAT.

What is a departure? Which part specifically? You're speaking in generalities.

What I'm saying is that if the story about Disney's meddling is true, than that might be a sign of further meddling from them in future films, which would be a departure from Marvel's usual policy of giving the filmmakers free reign artistically.

And you're being incredibly veiled.

I don't know what you mean by that.

As an Asian American, I want a lot of the films I see to show the diversity of America and the world. DOFP showed a diverse group of superheroes, using actors of all races.

what's wrong with that?

I am however, in favor if Diversity if it fits the storyline and not just for the bad place of it. I just think that the major MCU franchise, the Avengers needs a little color in them (and I don't mean the uniforms). It's one of two major issues I have with Marvel Studios.

again, is there anything wrong with that?

What I'm saying is that if the story about Disney's meddling is true, than that might be a sign of further meddling from them in future films, which would be a departure from Marvel's usual policy of giving the filmmakers free reign artistically.

I don't know what you mean by that.

I don't think they ever have. Ed Norton, Alan Taylor and Favreau all had issues with someone at Marvel prying.

Maybe Disney thought what all of us were thinking. Ant-Man would be a flop. Forget Wright as a director did any of you believe it would do well at the box office? I would go see the film because it's a Marvel Studios project, but if it flopped Disney wouldn't let Marvel take too many risks.

I remember hearing because the bad sales of the Green Lantern animated DVD DC went back to just Supes and Batman. Phase 3 is about introducing new characters (Dr Strange, Black Panther, etc.) if Ant-Man flopped Disney would say go back to what makes $$$.

If Avengers didn't do well. Disney wouldn't have ok a risk like GoTG, which is an unproven property.

what has diversity to do with Wright leaving?

Nothing, but I want to prove that the MCU isn't perfect like the MCU haters assume it is by MCU fans.

BTW, my pick to replace Wright should be Joe Cornish. I don't think Marvel will go that route though.

Maybe Disney thought what all of us were thinking. Ant-Man would be a flop. Forget Wright as a director did any of you believe it would do well at the box office? I would go see the film because it's a Marvel Studios project, but if it flopped Disney wouldn't let Marvel take too many risks.

I remember hearing because the bad sales of the Green Lantern animated DVD DC went back to just Supes and Batman. Phase 3 is about introducing new characters (Dr Strange, Black Panther, etc.) if Ant-Man flopped Disney would say go back to what makes $$$.

If Avengers didn't do well. Disney wouldn't have ok a risk like GoTG, which is an unproven property.

Black Panther would be a bigger risk than Ant Man probably.

I don't think they ever have. Ed Norton, Alan Taylor and Favreau all had issues with someone at Marvel prying.

I had heard that Norton's departure had more to do with pay scale than artistic integrity. I also hadn't heard anything about why Favreau left, at leads nothing consistent.

Taylor's a good example, though. It sounds like the Thor 2 production was a general mess.

I think Cornish and Wright both wrote the version of the script that Marvel is reportedly unhappy with, so, I doubt it will be Cornish.

People are aware "Planes" is not a pixar film right?

Cars 2 yes... which was pushed by disney because they were losing a young male audience (another reason they bought marvel and Lucasfilm) and pixar's cars was very popular amongst that demo as well as merchandising...

But Pixar had nothing to do with Planes.. Disneys animation studios or a subset actually put that out.

the cars films are my least favorite pixar films. But kids love them

I think you seem to forget how film studios work at this level. If you want to sit there and pretend this is still Marvel working out of it's garage then you're living in a fantasy world.

There are certain complexities involved in aligning themselves with arguably the most connected TV/Film network on this planet. Neither Wright nor any other director is going to be allowed to go rogue as if this is some indie film. They all are going to fit a certain framework, especially the one being established within' the MCU. If they can't, then goodbye. Perhaps they should've parted ways sooner, but at least they didn't let this thing get into production and have to keep re-writing during the filming and then battle in the editing room afterwards.

I had heard that Norton's departure had more to do with pay scale than artistic integrity. I also hadn't heard anything about why Favreau left, at leads nothing consistent.

Taylor's a good example, though. It sounds like the Thor 2 production was a general mess.

There were five different writers on that thing at various points and it showed.

I think you seem to forget how film studios work at this level. If you want to sit there and pretend this is still Marvel working out of it's garage then you're living in a fantasy world.

There are certain complexities involved in aligning themselves with arguably the most connect TV/Film network on this planet. Neither Wright nor any other director is going to be allowed to go rogue as if this is some indie film. They all are going to fit a certain framework, especially the one being established within' the MCU.

I'm aware of that and I never said that it wasn't the case. The thing is, most of the Marvel films have allowed for a lot of creativity and individual artistic freedom within that framework. Iron man 3, Avengers, Captain America 2, and likely Guardians of the Galaxy are all very unique films that do their own thing within the understanding of a shared MCU. Most of the behind the scenes stuff I've heard from directors makes it sound like Marvel was saying to them "Hey man, do your thing, put your stamp on it, as long as it fist in the overarching verse we're golden." I'm just worried that might change, and the films will become more homogenized and focus group-y.

A director who is willing to fit into Marvel's framework? Hmm....

clark_gregg.jpg

Although it may conflict with his TV show.

I'm aware of that and I never said that it wasn't the case. The thing is, most of the Marvel films have allowed for a lot of creativity and individual artistic freedom within that framework. Iron man 3, Avengers, Captain America 2, and likely Guardians of the Galaxy are all very unique films that do their own thing within the understanding of a shared MCU. I'm just worried that might change, and the films will become more homogenized and focus group-y.

You keep giving me all these recent quality examples of artistic freedoms and yet it's the Ant-Man example you want to fixate on. Clearly there's a limit and Wright of all people is likely to have tested it. That's not homogenized. That's their own vision, their own brand.

Favreau still involved with Avengers 2:

[YT]YmUHqQB0NTQ[/YT]

22:50 to 23:50

You keep giving me all these recent quality examples of artistic freedoms and yet it's the Ant-Man example you want to fixate on. Clearly there's a limit and Wright of all people is likely to have tested it. That's not homogenized. That's their own vision, their own brand.

Maybe that's the case. Maybe not. My point is that up until this, there were all of these quality examples of artistic freedom as you say. Then Marvel and Wright part ways. Maybe it had nothing to do with artistic freedom, or maybe it did but Wright was the one being unreasonable. That could very well be the case, and while this individual film will likely be hurt, the future of the franchise will be fine. I'm just saying that I'm concerned that it might not be the case, and until we get more concrete confirmation, I'm going to remain slightly worried due to that lack of reassurance.

So I don't think Favreau is on bad terms with Marvel, otherwise he would have not said what he said to Craig Ferguson on Friday about Avengers 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"