Edgar Wright Leaves Ant-Man!! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Thread Manager, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]479995[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]479843[/split]

3. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

:up: Its not like he hasnt lied before. I just hope this movie still turns out to be pretty good.

4. kosh33

kosh33 MCU Fanatic

^
    what did he lie about? was it his statement that all the fox-men movies were good? :o

5. kosh33

kosh33 MCU Fanatic

i am starting to really hate Wright now.. if it wasnt for him sitting on this movie for ever, we could have got Antman earlier as a founding member for the avengers, or playing a part in Ultron's creation or maybe Whedon could have used Wasp in the avengers..
    i am starting to think that reference to Hank Pym as Selvig's friend in Thor1 was deleted just so he could be introduced by name and in person in his own movie.,,

6. AVEITWITHJAMON

Just general stuff, like "we will be exploring the 9 realms in Thor 2" and other general statements he has made about the movies.

As someone said he is a very good PR guy, well, sometimes PR guys lie. He certainly isnt the only one who does it.

7. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. If Wasp had been in the avengers then that means somebody else would not have been, probably black widow.

8. TheVision

TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

One more thing: Marvel gave us all these great films since 2008 but its THEIR fault about Wright leaving? NO FN WAY. No. Not at all.

9. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

They've given us a mixed bag of films, and several people other than Wright have left Marvel or been booted.

Marvel is not God. Never think of a corporation as your God.

10. TheVision

"A mixed bag of films" - Just the fact youd say that shows how much in denial you are

Never said MARVEL is god. But they do get to dictate whats right/wrong for their film universe.

11. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with saying they have delivered a mixed bag of films ?
    Its not the same as saying all of their films stink.
    Their is not a studio in existence that has a perfect track record when it comes to making quality films .

12. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

......... and SOMETIMES they don't. Feige isn't going to go on record like that and lie his ass off knowing Wright could easily contradict everything he's saying.

His comments are the same thing everyone else said up until this point. Wright and Marvel/Feige do not mesh well in a collaborative environment. That's how things work at the MCU and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's their method. They're not a studio that hands over its franchises to auteurs and just lets'em have free reign.

They didn't know they'd be having issues up until things got closer into production. Before it was always Wright off somewhere else dabbling with the script, while also balancing his other projects. It's almost like having been in a long distance relationship and then finally moving in together. Sometimes that becomes a make or break for the relationship.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  13. Rock Sexton

It's just a convenient response sans any kind've of tangible proof.

14. AVEITWITHJAMON

Wright and Fiege agreed before their split what they were going to say, i'll say this again, people in Hollywood lie, do you really think they would tell us if they were at each others throats all the time? How many times have we heard directors and studio heads saying the production was fine only later to find out it was the total opposite of that?

This is standard Hollywood break-up fluff to me. If you want to believe what they are saying thats fine, because of Feige's previous track record, I dont, simple as that. Neither of us can prove the other wrong.

15. TheVision

Meanwhile James Gunn was complimented by Feige about his work and he got to make a great film that has his signature style all over it, so go figure.

Im on Team Marvel on this one. If I really believed they were at fault Id be on EWs side. I just dont.

16. Rock Sexton

You're using ambiguous examples of other times in Hollywood as if it's mutually exclusive to what went on here.

Even if they were at each other's throats that's precisely what was meant by them not being compatible in a collaborative environment. You're just proving my point.

You speak as if it's improbable that a studio which requires collaboration would run into problems with a director who is normally a hands off "auteur".

What is there not to believe in lieu of that? Every single person who's commented on the situation (Favreau/Gunn/Pegg/Feige/Whedon) have all said there was a compatibility issue. At this point it's not about you or I not knowing anything. Everything else is tabloid-worthy nonsense.

17. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

More from Feige:

18. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Feige is giving me hope. I've got a lot of respect for the guy.

19. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

^^ Yeah, me too.

He always seems to be able to calm any problems fans have, he's a real good guy to have from a PR point of view.

20. TheVision

Middle ground was not reached. Do you think MARVEL didnt give in at all or that Edgar wanted more and more control? I go with choice B in this instance.

As Ive said since this debate began, its MARVEL'S ANT MAN, Not EDGAR WRIGHT'S ANT MAN.

21. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I think it's a case of Marvel realising that the longer they waited, the more Edgar's film started conflicting with the MCU as a whole. And at the same time, Edgar wanted to make his film his way, not wanting to potentially remove parts of his script in order to cater to the 'restrictions' of the MCU. I'd imagine it's really that simple, even if other elements were involved.

Edgar wanted to make the same film he envisioned eight years ago, which for Marvel simply wasn't possible.

22. TheVision

Edgar shouldve given in a little to the current state of the MCU since that was pretty much inevitable anyway. How can you just dismiss 6 years of interconnected movies? It would be different if this was the 1st MCU film. Either way it was his loss, not Marvels.

23. T"Challa

T"Challa Well-Known Member

The funny thing is people act like this stuff doesn't happen all the time. There are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake here. Sometimes, things just don't work out and sides don't agree. There's no need to villify anyone.

The MCU, regardless of what you think about some of the films has been a resounding success, both critically and financially. The general audience has really taken to the universe, and for the most part, people really like the product they put out. Based on his body of work, Feige has more than earned the benefit of the doubt IMO. Edgar Wright is super talented and he will be fine, but if his visions and ideas do not fit into the MCU sandbox, then he has to go if doesnt' budge. Its that simple, its just business.

And i find it funny, people forget Fox fired Rupert Wyatt from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for the exact same creative reasons, and replaces him with Reeves. I dint see anyone complaining then and i definitely don't see them complaining now. lets wait and see how this thing turns out. This stuff happens in hollywood a lot. Feige and Marvel aren't idiots.

24. guitarsingerguy

guitarsingerguy Who am I?

It HAS been a mixed bag for most people. Some of what they've done has worked, and some of it hasn't. That has nothing to do with being in denial. That's just people's opinions, and they're completely entitled to them. Not to mention, I think you'll find that is actually how more people feel than don't, especially when the sequels are concerned.

25. guitarsingerguy

guitarsingerguy Who am I?

Wright just has a very different style than most directors that I think his fans were obviously excited to see applied to the MCU. I know that's what I was looking forward to, but after what Marvel pulled off with the Russo bros of all people, I think whoever they go with should get the benefit of the doubt.