Eidos Montreal's Thief

Wow you need to settle the hell down. All he's saying is that he's glad the mechanic is in just in case. You obviously can't go around fighting everyone so just settle down. Geez

Wow you need to settle the hell down. All he's saying is that he's glad the mechanic is in just in case. You obviously can't go around fighting everyone so just settle down. Geez

Exactly. I'm saying there should be a fall back other than just running an hiding. Having the option to dispatch a guard or two will NOT hurt this series. Knowing that you can't tackle multiple opponents will still keep this series a stealth based series. But you're also crazy if you think you are going to get Thief but with just updated visuals. The industry doesn't work like that any more, not with the larger budget titles

No, not at all. You shouldn't forgo one type of gameplay "just because". The player should always have options. It should be designed in a way that combat isn't the best option but still is an option in certain situations. Looking at how this generation has taken old games and "updated" them I can almost guarantee you, there will be more combat in this game than previous Theif games and that's a good thing rather you can realize it or not.

Actually they said nothing of it really having more action just that it is more fun if you get in it and you can enter it if you want. In Thief you could enter combat as well, it just has terrible consequences. But to some maybe it's not fun. I doubt the makers of DX:HR will dumb it down.Anymore it's usually watering things down to make it more accessible aka easier. I can almost guarantee you it won't be the type of action you are thinking. Deus Ex HR actually was very very true to the original. And they state that in this. Why should there be options in a genre based game? It's stealth and it should more so push that stealth is the type of gameplay. What it means when gamers say they want more options....is they want the option for the game to be easy and like all the other games they play, they want to shoot their way through it. Then go play another game. Some still want games that are genre specific and actually challenge you. Not just make an easy out to it.

Why not add a FPS mode in JRPG so that we can have the "option" to shoot our way through it if we get "bored". To me that's just taking away different types of gameplay. The gameplay in Thief is unique. Keep it that way. Making an "option" for generic types of gameplay is nothing more then pandering to the masses. And again I doubt this studio is doing that. And I have faith they won't make it what you are thinking it's going to be.

Oh I'm sorry we can't have opinions too?

Exactly. I'm saying there should be a fall back other than just running an hiding. Having the option to dispatch a guard or two will NOT hurt this series. Knowing that you can't tackle multiple opponents will still keep this series a stealth based series. But you're also crazy if you think you are going to get Thief but with just updated visuals. The industry doesn't work like that any more, not with the larger budget titles

And the thing is in Thief you could take on one guard. It was just hard to do so. So I guess we are saying....the same thing? Did you play the original Thief games? Because that is what you can do. You can have options to dispatch a guard ect. Still the consequences are dire, and makes it more dangerous to do so.

It's nice to see Thief back (I wish I could same the same for LoK). I can't wait to see what they have in store.

I hope the same kind of gameplay we saw in previous titles and doesn't try to go 'actiony' in an attempt to cater to more people. You dilute the gameplay that way. Thief just doesn't and shouldn't lend itself to a more action style of gameplay. It's not that game. If people want an action title then they should buy one instead.

• The Goals And Inspirations For Thief

video interview
    on Mar 08, 2013 at 02:00 PM

In this video interview, the game's director and producer explain who the new game is for and talk about the comparisons to Dishonored.
    ... More
source: GI

Thought this was cool, to know where their picking up idea's from .

I like the look of this, will it be a mix of 3rd and 1st person?

Last edited:

• The Goals And Inspirations For Thief

video interview
    on Mar 08, 2013 at 02:00 PM

In this video interview, the game's director and producer explain who the new game is for and talk about the comparisons to Dishonored.
    ... More

Thought this was cool, to know where their picking up idea's from .

Yikes. Sounds like it *is* more for the casual gamer than the stealth genre fan. They talk about a "simple" stealth mechanic, which sounds like Thief is getting dumbed down.

Waiting to hear more about it, but the farther they stray from stealth, the less likely I am to play this game, and the less likely this game is going to find an audience, period.

Yikes. Sounds like it *is* more for the casual gamer than the stealth genre fan. They talk about a "simple" stealth mechanic, which sounds like Thief is getting dumbed down.

Waiting to hear more about it, but the farther they stray from stealth, the less likely I am to play this game, and the less likely this game is going to find an audience, period.
I watched the whole thing to the end and heard what they said . to me what it sounded like while they are taking some influences from other games o9f other studio's they will still do what they always done and have their own spins from they are taking from other games. That latter part comes when the mention that side peeking mechanic when look through corners and doors, that they mention when talking about Dishonored compared to what they have planned with theif which they said between the two their's will be different. I think it'll be better for them the next time they are interviewed to have some game play and not speak til then. Cause right now all the stuff they are saying are just being misinterpreted .

Especially by those that don't watch the video of what they are saying to the end.

Or I hope they would do that .

Last edited:
I'd like to think this will put some fears to rest but it'll be better when we are presented with some game play. None the less this interview states they are trying to stay faithful to the series.

Last edited:
I kind of hope they stick with the cinema style in previous games. It's really part of the whole feel. I don't want to see super animated cinemas...

Putting this up before I turn in
"Thief Purists Will Have Options" Says Thief Director. March 26, 2013 . 5:30pm

Garrett’s new “Focus” ability speeds up his reaction times and helps empower the player, but director Nicolas Cantin says that Thief purists will still be pleased.

In Eidos Montreal’s upcoming Thief game, Garrett has an increased ability to focus, due to an event that takes place early in the game, the studio reveals on its official blog. This ability speeds up his reaction times and helps empower the player.

“But, it’s not something that you’re forced to use,” the game’s director, Nicolas Cantin, clarifies. “It’s something that you manage, something that is one of the tools at Garrett’s disposal that he can use to tackle the various situations he is confronted with.”

Cantin elaborates: “Focus is something that you have to manage, that you have to accumulate. The player will have to choose when the best time is to take advantage of Garrett’s Focus, as he has many different ways and abilities that Focus can be used. It’s completely up to the player to decide and manage how Focus is used in the game.”

Aside from using Focus in combat, you can use it to enhance your lock-picking, pick-pocketing and marksmanship. Additionally, you’ll also be able to use it in conjunction with Thief’s object highlighting system, which is similar to previous Thief games. However, Cantin insists, if you want to play through the game without using Focus for the added challenge, you’ll be able to do that.

“All I can say now is that Thief purists will have options—those types of players will definitely be pleased,” Cantin promises.
Read more at

source:Siliconera & GI

Last edited:
Kinda miss the old awesome cinematics they did. But what has me slightly concerned is they seemed to have a different voice actor for Garrett. I loved the one from the original trilogy, he was one of my favorite characters, and just had an awesome voice.

But I still have hope with this project, since I loved the devs from their last game.

Looks pretty awesome, I'm not the biggest fan of cg trailers, I'd rather they just show a 2 minute trailer of actual gameplay but thats alright

Looks pretty awesome, I'm not the biggest fan of cg trailers, I'd rather they just show a 2 minute trailer of actual gameplay but thats alright
I had feeling some one would say that. that's what really counts in the end, though.

Last edited:
I do wish this was third person just like i wish Dishonored was

They might include the feature. The last Thief game had it, and the last Thief game did a lot of things this one seems to be doing so far...which I'm betting hardcore Thief fans are raging over. I personally am so ready for this. I think this looks pretty much perfect for me as a Thief/stealth game fan. Like medieval/steampunk Dishonored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"