Eidos Montreal's Thief

Never played the other games but this keeps looking great and it comes out in February..Perfect for when I get the PS4 early Feb

Thief’s Queen Of Beggars Tells A Story Of A City In Peril

Preview
on Dec 18, 2013 at 02:02 PM
pc-icon.png

This story of the city is told from the blind eyes of the Queen of Beggars.
... More

source:GI

Previews

Thief Update with Producer Joe Khoury

Scott sneaks up on Thief producer Joe Khoury to get more details on the new stealth game, and why they decided to reboot the franchise instead of making a sequel.

Source:EPD.TV/ROTR

Here's a pod cast with the peep's that are making Theif. this works best wit firefox currently but if your having trouble listening due to your browser they are also on Itunes youtube and and thing called stitcher .

Podcast

Thief, Filth Magnets, and Scott is the Positive One

Vic and Scott take "Le Basement" on the road. Next stop: Montreal. Yes, this week's episode was recorded in Vic's hotel room in bone-chilling downtown Montreal. The boys discuss the latest game from Eidos Montreal: Thief, which is a reboot of the 1998 PC classic.

Source:EPD.TV/ROTR

Thief system requirements released - how good a PC will you need to steal?

at 09:12 on 18 January 2014

The new Thief game is coming out soon, and if you're rocking an oldish PC you're probably wondering whether or not you'll be able to play it. If only there was some way to judge whether your Pentium 4 with 128mb ram and integrated graphics will be able to run Garrett's latest pilfery adventure. Good news: there is. Bad news: your Pentium would be lucky to run to the end of the street. Eidos Montreal have revealed the game's system requirements, which I've stashed beneath the break.

Without further ado, here's what you'll need to be able to play Thief the way the Keepers intended: on PC.
Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
DirectX: DirectX 10
HDD/SSD: 20 GB
Recommended Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
RAM: 4+ GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD / R9 series or better / Nvidia GTX 660 series or better
DirectX: DirectX 11
HDD/SSD: 20 GB
Not too bad, considering, although 20GB seems like rather a lot. Also of note in the blog post is the news that Eidos Montreal have once again teamed up with Nixxes (Deus EX:HR, Tomb Raider) to "ensure the best possible experience on the platform". Thief is due out February 25/28 and blimey, I had no idea it was arriving so soon.
source: pc gamer

Thief Reboot Rated “M” By ESRB. January 20, 2014 . 1:58pm

The upcoming Thief reboot from Eidos Montreal has been rated by the ESRB, and has received an “M” (Mature) rating like its predecessors.

The upcoming Thief reboot from Eidos Montreal has been rated by the ESRB, and has received an “M” (Mature) rating like its predecessors. The game’s rating includes Blood, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Violence as content descriptors.

Here’s the full rating summary, if you’re interested
This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a thief attempting to defeat a conspiracy. Players sneak around guards and civilians in order to break into various buildings and steal items. Players sometimes use a blackjack to knock guards out. Throughout the game, characters use knives and swords to kill other human enemies. Blood splatter effects occur during battle. Corpses are frequently depicted, sometimes lying in pools of blood.

During the course of the game, players can roam through a brothel environment in which several prostitutes are depicted topless. The central character has the ability to spy on couples engaging in sexual activity (topless characters); suggestive moaning and dialogue can also be heard. Some settings depict opium vats or characters under the influence of the drug. The words “f**k” and “*****” can be heard in the dialogue.

Thief is slated for release in February on PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. The game features the return of Garrett, the series’ main protagonist, as he attempts to free “The City” from a tyrannical ruler.

source:Siliconera

Last edited:
I didn't like Dishonored but I gotta use my $25 off coupon on something before March. This will probably be it.

Well it's not the same dev studio or people on this as it was for that game . so ...

so I don't know much about the story and never played the prior games.

Is the main character a "good thief?"

like one who steals from the corrupt or bad people?

Yes...he steals from the rich. But he doesn't give to the poor, so he's not really a robin hood character. He would never steal from the poor.

His eye was plucked by the a consort of the Trickster...(the woodsie lord of the pagans) the Hammerites (a group of people) built him a mechanical eye to replace it.

this confirms

Previews

Meet the New Thief

Scott sneaks into Eidos Montreal for a look at the new version of Thief hero Garrett, who's set to emerge from the shadows in the upcoming franchise reboot.

Source: EPD.TV/ROTR

what Destrctus told ya .

It has a very similar feel by the look of it.
Really? Tell you what, I'll just wait for the game to reach your hands and let you get back to me on how this plays differently . I'm sure you'll notice there's a huge difference in how the protagonists of these two games are different from each other.

Last edited:
It has a very similar feel by the look of it.

Not really. I mean Thief was first if anything. It was/still is one of my favorite games, and playing it for the first time in '98 was life changing. Dishonored was more lenient then Thief. It relied on magic, and multiple weapons, and those types of things where you could get away with action quite easily. Thief was truly a hardcore stealth type game. The light/dark gem really created a unique type of stealth. Most stealth games use darkness to a degree, but not as much as Thief. Half your time was altering the light in a room to sneak by, and also make as little sound as possible. Thief punished you for trying to be more of an action hero.

And I am glad these guys understand that and are sticking to the core of what made Thief unique.

Sessler played 3 hours of it, and really enjoyed it. His only complaints seemed to be misled. This game was not a next gen game, and he kinds complains about that. Yes it's on next gen consoles as well, but it was not a next gen game nor was planned to be one. So I forgive it that. The other thing he said was the combat was hard/wonky. It's not wonky. It's what it should be, hard and not fun to do. Thief is a stealth game, you want action go play the million of other action titles out there. I'm glad that it forces people to focus on stealth, because that was Thief, it's focus was the purity of stealth. You are a thief, not a warrior. So all that I heard excited me more. Can't wait to pick this up.

I wish this came out at a better time. Like this week. Not right before Watch Dogs, South Park and a little game called Titanfall

Thief Video Preview

(46 minutes ago)

Thief Video Preview

What does your moral compass say about Thief, a game in which you covet all that glitters and pinch every penny like a delicious, mineral-heavy morsel before dropping it into your gaping pocket? In our new video preview we find there's still an illicit thrill in stealing professionally as master thief Garrett, who returns in this Eidos-Montreal reboot of 1996's Thief: The Dark Project.

And let's be honest: having spent several games looting fresh corpses, eating curative sponge cakes straight from the garbage and gutting leopards for tacky ammo pouches, kleptomania just comes naturally to us all.

Thief is coming to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on February 25. For more on the game's open world, read our last preview, "Stalking the City in Shadow."

Source:Joustiq

TRAILER

[YT]66oVzJQv7DA[/YT]
THIEF GETS A[URL="http://epdaily.tv/all/type-of/news/thief-goes-gold-101-trailer-tells-you-everything-you-need-to-know/"] NEW TRAILER
[/URL]

Thief has now officially gone gold and is on track for its release later this month, and to celebrate a new “101″ trailer telling you everything you need to know about the game has been released.
“Fans of the original Thief will be relieved to find the ingredients that made it one of the most respected franchises in the industry. The game doesn’t take gamers for idiots, it’s far from easy, and you can complete it without killing a single enemy or even being seen,” Stephane Roy, producer at Eidos Montreal wrote on the PlayStation Blog.
“But it is not only designed with long-time fans of the series in mind. A new generation of gamers will also have a chance to discover whyThief, one of the founding fathers of the stealth genre is so well-loved, to explore the rich lore of The City and to experiment with a different style of gameplay that emphasizes thoughtfulness and patience as well as skills and reflexes.
“The development team has given their best to ensure this Thief is worthy of its legendary predecessors. We’re huge fans of the original games in the series and the new game is a genuine reflection of the passion and talent of a truly dedicated team,” he added.
Thief is set to release February 25 in North America and February 28 in Europe for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC.

As reported by: EGM
via EPD.TV/ROTR

Last edited:
One of the games I'm most looking forward to this year. Definitely for the first half of the year for sure. I hope its good!

The other thing he said was the combat was hard/wonky. It's not wonky. It's what it should be, hard and not fun to do. Thief is a stealth game, you want action go play the million of other action titles out there. I'm glad that it forces people to focus on stealth, because that was Thief, it's focus was the purity of stealth. You are a thief, not a warrior. So all that I heard excited me more. Can't wait to pick this up.

If the combat is poorly designed, it's poor design. Period. It doesn't matter if it's a stealth game or not. If the developers who are making the game, add a combat system, it should be fun and well made. If you want to "force" players into stealth, don't add a combat system. The developers decided that they want combat in their Thief game, unfortunately according to Sessler they may have implemented a poor system. But it wasn't designed to be wonky, because "this is a Thief game". That's nonsense.

I agree any combat in Thief should be really difficult and a last resort, but if you are going to create a combat system, it shouldn't come across as "wonky".

It doesnt really matter to me one way or the other, if i snag the game(which is looking likely), im gonna play it as stealthily as i possibly can. Shouldn't have too much need for any kind of combat system, well made or not.

Last edited:
If the combat is poorly designed, it's poor design. Period. It doesn't matter if it's a stealth game or not. If the developers who are making the game, add a combat system, it should be fun and well made. If you want to "force" players into stealth, don't add a combat system. The developers decided that they want combat in their Thief game, unfortunately according to Sessler they may have implemented a poor system. But it wasn't designed to be wonky, because "this is a Thief game". That's nonsense.

I agree any combat in Thief should be really difficult and a last resort, but if you are going to create a combat system, it shouldn't come across as "wonky".

It doesnt really matter to me one way or the other, if i snag the game(which is looking likely), im gonna play it as stealthily as i possibly can. Shouldn't have too much need for any kind of combat system, well made or not.

That's the thing though. I think most are confusing the "wonky" aspect as just that it's not made to be a fighter. It does not need to be a good system, if it is near impossible. Like the originals you could fight your way out once in a great while if in a jam. So you can't just leave it out. But I think some are mistaking the difficulty of the combat, as a flaw/wonky. When Garrett is not a good fighter, that is part of the character and part of the gameplay.

That's the thing though. I think most are confusing the "wonky" aspect as just that it's not made to be a fighter. It does not need to be a good system, if it is near impossible. Like the originals you could fight your way out once in a great while if in a jam. So you can't just leave it out. But I think some are mistaking the difficulty of the combat, as a flaw/wonky. When Garrett is not a good fighter, that is part of the character and part of the gameplay.

Yea that's very possible. I didn't listen to what Sessler said nor have I played the game, obviously. If the combat is just limited that's one thing, but if what's there is poorly made, that's another. Guess we'll find out soon.

All the videos iv seen recently look pretty damn good and I'm dying for a new game for my XB1, so if this reviews well I may have to snag it to hold me over for Titanfall.

Watched the trailer and my first thought was 'Dishonored sequel?' :p

I'm interested though and will likely pick this up.

Watched the trailer and my first thought was 'Dishonored sequel?' :p

I'm interested though and will likely pick this up.

Sadly there are those that don't realize Dishonored took from Thief. And that the Thief design was from over 15 years ago. More importantly, though I liked Dishonored, this is more true stealth. Disnhored I could get away with killing many with all my powers and completing the missions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"