Elfman vs. Zimmer/Howard

Discussion in 'Batman Begins' started by Catman, Jun 15, 2005.

?

Who did a better job?

1. Danny Elfman

2. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Catman Registered

Two things actually. Lets not forget the editing of the fight scenes. Not very well done. I LOVED Begins, but that was the ONLY thing that really bothered. I mean DAMN give us a master shot, Nolan!

2. TheBat812 Registered

I prefer the new fighting scenes MUCH more. Especially the first time Batman appears. it's gritty, and really you're not supposed to completely see what's going on, just as the thugs dont. It's more frightening that way.

3. Kipobe Registered

I'm THE biggest Elfman ****e around, and while I think his music for Bats will probably be not only the most memorable, but the best Batman related music ever, this music did its job. It played key where it needed to, and it seperated itself well from any other Batman film made up to this point.

I personally liked the epic theme that played in brief sparatic moments in the movie... but it hardly qualified for a score (not that it was trying to) and independantly it doesn't really make for a great listen... but again I say: it did its job, and being a fan of film composing, I can honestly say that's the most important thing.

Truth be told, the two can't really be compared. After all, they're so different.... and they're trying to be so different. There's nothing Batman '89 in Batman Begins, and vice versa. Everything from the Batmobile to the character builds have changed... so no doubt I expect a completely different sound. Alot of the film felt like quick cuts between scenes... the music complemented that.

I guess the better question is, what score did its job better? Which complimented the movie better? (Incidentally, something I personally believe no one does better than Elfman himself. He tends to forego "epic" to allow his music to fit well!) While Batman Begins did a good job of adding to the scene with its music, there'll never be anything like Elfman's theme drumming hard as the Batmobile charged up... or theatrically during the final moments of the film as you see Batman standing up starring at the signal... those memories were instantly engraved into my mind, and they'll need alot more that what I heard in Begins to wipe that away.

4. Exabyte Not your Friend

Its all the same to me, but I love the sound that started when the WB logo appeared in BB.

5. Guason Registered

Really, BR`s romance still the best so far.
    I voted for Elfman.

6. Wrath of Khan Registered

But they are all a similar genre: Burton films and fantasy (and I disagree with Spidey theme bashin, I think it rules, and not similar to the others)

But lets remember Elfman also did Desperate Housewives, Simpsons, Family Man, Red Dragon etc. He is versatile, but he will always be remembered for the iconic stuff.

7. Catman Registered

To be fair the romance was not the focus of the film. Returns focused a lot on the whole Bruce Wayne/Selena Kyle relationship. I wonder how Nolan will handle it.

8. The Guard Registered

I like Elfman's better. Can't explain why. Zimmer and Howard's is good, but it feels a little generic. The typical horror sounds when "horror" is supposed to be onscreen, drums every five minutes...I dunno...I need to get ahold of the soundtrack and listen to it all alone.

9. Seen It's Been Seen

I enjoyed Zimmer/Howard's work better. While I always liked Elfman's scores, he's too bombastic and in-your-face. The music for BEGINS was gradual, moving, emotional, and driven. I really liked the theme too, plus the horror parts were very well done. Overall it blended in with the film, which is what scores are supposed to do, and didn't stand out like a sore thumb which Elfman's music did in the Burton flicks (which perhaps they were meant to do, who knows).

I can't wait to buy the CD, though. I'm probably going to listen to it about a million times...like the film, I just absolutley love it.

10. Riven Registered

Danny Elfman's music was GREAT with the kind of movie he scored for.

Zimmer/Howard's music was GREAT with the kind of movie they scored for.

Imagine Elfman's bombastic fanfare themes with Nolan's subdued, down to earth aproach... or Zimmer/Howard's moody score with Burton's operatic and extravagant stylings. Both would have been horribly out of place. But as they are, both are now exceptionally good scores to exceptionally good movies.

11. Bat-Justin Registered

^ I totally agree!

Elfman's music would not have worked for this film just as this films musice would not have worked for Burton's

12. hulkamania85 Registered

Begins had a great score, but Elfman's is a classic.

The best Batman theme I think is the Animated Series one (it took the 1989 one and improved it). I was hoping it would be incorprated into the Begins score. I almost thought it was slightly in the beginning.

13. Stupidnewb Registered

What do you mean it took the 1989 one and improved on it? The Batman theme from TAS is nothing like Elfman's theme.

14. I'm a huge Danny Elfman fan. I own a lot of his movie soundtracks. But I also now own the Zimmer/Howard BB score, and I have to say that I love it. The Elfman score was perfect and always will be the definitive musical take on the character, IMHO.
    I do really like the BB score though, and it does a great job for what it sets out to do, for the kind of movie that BB is. From the opening notes at the beginning of the film, it immediately lets you know what the movie is all about.
    Neither is better than the other when put in the proper context. But as far as raw music is concerned, completely unattached from any Batman connotations, I do think that I prefer the Zimmer/Howard score just a little more. I'll listen to it a few more times to be sure, but I do really like what they did. That's just my personal preference though.
    Elfman's main Batman theme will always be tops in my book, but as far as overall score, I think that Zimmer/Howard did a grand job.

15. Catman Registered

It's funny how different Batman and Spider-Man fans are. Spider-Man fans are mad cause according to them Spider-Man doesn't have a theme. Yet Batman doesn't really have a theme in Begins and no one is complaining. Interesting huh?

16. Kipobe Registered

The funny thing is, Batman Begins wasn't trying to create an actual theme... more just mood music. I wonder if they'd continue to do this with future movies, or if they'd settle for making a true score instead of thematic mood music.

Spider-Man has a theme... a great theme. I personally am on a crusade to kill everyone who says Spider-Man doesn't have a theme.

17. Catman Registered

Good luck.

18. Atomic Crusader Registered

Elfmans' music was the best thing about Burton's Batman films (did he score the Schmacher films?) his Batman theme is terrific. But, something like that would have been out of place in Begins so at this point I'd say the Zimmer/Howard soundtrack was entirely appropriate and was infused in the film beautifully. Gonna pick up the CD soon.

The Spiderman music is really good too but hardly overt like Batman '89, neither is it just mood or ambient.

19. Kipobe Registered

Shoemakers films were done by Elliot Goldenthal. Neither really had a score as such... Forever (I believe) had a soundtrack with some composed cues (that was nothing more than the brash theme playing a few times here and there) and B&R just had and overture.

20. Conjob2008 Teen Titan!

ELFMAN ,***DAMMIT!!!!

21. Cobblepot Giant-Size Man-Thing

Right now Zimmer and Howard nailed it with there score.
    Elfman was great too, but has left the building.

22. Jack Torrance Registered

i didn't like the new score AT ALL

23. thechubbysaint Registered

One great thing about the Batman '89 score was the end song when Batman was looking at the activated bat signal. I could have seen a similar ending in this film.

24. db85usa HeHe!

there is a THEME in the BB soundtrack

just listen closely for it :)

you hear it mostly in Molossus.

25. Lazlo Panaflex Registered

Someone mentioned that Zimmer/Howard's music sounded like horror music, it's funny that it's mentioned it kind of reminded me of John Carpenter's Halloween music where he would just do variotions on the Halloween theme and intercut it in the scenes.