Elizabeth Banks in talks to direct new 'Charlie's Angels'

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
LINK

Curious to see A.) who she casts and B.) if they're going to be the original series characters rather than new Angels.

Didn't realize she was a director.

I don't care who she gets for the Angels but John Michael Higgins needs to be Bosley.

I hope she sets it in the same universe as Barrymores. It was a perfect compromise and helped build the overall mythology.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/613045-elizabeth-banks-eyes-charlies-angels-reboot

Banks-Bar-6401.jpg

A Charlie’s Angels reboot is headed to the big screen with Pitch Perfect 2’s Elizabeth Banks in talks to direct

Sony Pictures is developing a big screen Charlie’s Angels reboot, TheWrap reports. What’s more, they’ve got actress turned Pitch Perfect 2 helmer Elizabeth Banks in negotiations to take the reins on the franchise as the film’s director. If all goes according to plan, Banks will also produce the new film alongside her husband, Max Handelman.
The original show focused on three women who worked as a team of private investigators, receiving their orders from the mysterious Charlie Townsend (voiced by John Forsythe, but whose face was never revealed). Although the lineup changed during the course of the series, the four key headlining actresses were Jaclyn Smith, Farrah Facett, Kate Jackson and Cheryl Ladd.
The popular series ran for five seasons and, in 2000, launched a feature film franchise starring Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu. That film also turned out a 2003 sequel, Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.
A television Charlie’s Angels reboot was attempted in 2011 with Annie Ilonzeh, Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor headlining. Airing on ABC, it only lasted eight episodes.
As long as the ladies are fine, then there's no arguments.

lol, wouldn't it be funny if they actually made an all-male Charlie's Angel's reboot just as a response to the all female Ghostbusters and gets repeatedly scrutinized by everyone to highlight the ridiculous double standards?

Yes! What a wonderful idea! It couldn't be worse than that dreadful TV show remake released a couple of years ago and I would love to see more Charlie's Angels action! Make this happen!

I bet it will suck.
I have no knowledge of what she can do as a director, but I think the move from the sequel to this reboot(?) will be more like a jump from FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer to Fant4stic rather than being like David Fincher's jump from Alien 3 to Se7en.

Confession: I have fun when I watch the first movie.

I still like the original Charlies Angels movie, it's cute. I'll watch a new version if it looks good. I hope the casting is more racially diverse this time. I'd go all out with the silliness like the racially mixed 80's gangs. One black chick, one white chick, one asian or latino chick.

Saw it.
This thread got the replies, and it stands higher, that's why I chose to post here.

Ah I see, got beaten to the punch. lol

But yeah, it'd be hilarious if somehow someway, in some weird circumstance, that Elizabeth Banks suddenly cast an all-male cast.(I know it'll never happen but it would hilariously point out the double standards especially with what happened with Ghostbusters)

I'm just happy this franchise is now being helmed by someone with a human name.

I just merged the two threads and cleaned it up.

As for this news, Banks is doing pretty good for a newbie director. Good for her! I'm curious on who she'll eventually cast. Maybe someone from Pitch Perfect like Kendrick?

As for this news, Banks is doing pretty good for a newbie director. Good for her! I'm curious on who she'll eventually cast. Maybe someone from Pitch Perfect like Kendrick?

Anna Kendrick, Brittany Snow and Hailee Steinfeld.

dee761f.jpg

There, I just did the hard bit lol. The film can now go write itself and hopefully include some Jump Street comedy.

The three I would pick aren't big stars but I'd go with Mission Impossible vets Keri Russell, Maggie Q, and Rebecca Ferguson , though Sony would likely wanna go with 20 somethings.

I would suggest they go more of an origin route, i.e. how the three characters are brought together and learning how to become a team despite the three of them having their own way of doing things and not getting along.

I like Elizabeth Banks as an actress but haven't seen her work as a director. If Hollywood wasn't so ageist towards women she'd be ideal as one of the Angels, but I suspect it will be all hot young things.

Willa Holland, Ashley Benson and Bella Thorne.

Maybe Banks could cameo as Charlie. Also, I'm not sure by how much but I think they would try to make the cast more diverse.

I like Elizabeth Banks as an actress but haven't seen her work as a director. If Hollywood wasn't so ageist towards women she'd be ideal as one of the Angels, but I suspect it will be all hot young things.

Willa Holland, Ashley Benson and Bella Thorne.

I don't know if they'd go as old as Banks, but I don't really think they'll go as young as those three. I mean, is Bella Thorne even 18 yet?

Bella's 17 I think.

Maybe Banks could cameo as Charlie. Also, I'm not sure by how much but I think they would try to make the cast more diverse.

Shouldn't they just cast the best 3 choices though? I am not saying my picks are the best 3 BTW but diversity just for the sake of it shouldn't be how a film is cast IMO, if the best 3 choices are all black or all white or there's 2 of one and one of the other but they fit the roles and have chemistry in auditions then that should be the criteria IMO, instead of setting out to purposely cast one from each race as there's still going to be lots of races missing out regardless.

I don't know if they'd go as old as Banks, but I don't really think they'll go as young as those three. I mean, is Bella Thorne even 18 yet?

I just checked and she's 18 in a few weeks, but by the time this gets made she'd probably heading towards 20. The other 2 would be in their mid 20's which would seem about right to me if they are looking to make it a franchise.

I don't think this is a popular opinion but I liked the two films with Diaz, Barrymore and Liu when they came out. I haven't watched them in ages so I don't know if I would still like them now.

Shouldn't they just cast the best 3 choices though? I am not saying my picks are the best 3 BTW but diversity just for the sake of it shouldn't be how a film is cast IMO, if the best 3 choices are all black or all white or there's 2 of one and one of the other but they fit the roles and have chemistry in auditions then that should be the criteria IMO, instead of setting out to purposely cast one from each race as there's still going to be lots of races missing out regardless.

Well, I don't disagree that ideally, it should always should be who are the best actresses that can play the roles and not just picking for the sake of checking a box. I just think that there's going to be an effort to broaden the search and diversify the cast. The past casts had Lucy Liu and IIRC that short lived TV version had a black actress so it's not like it's a new thing to this franchise/series.

I don't think this is a popular opinion but I liked the two films with Diaz, Barrymore and Liu when they came out. I haven't watched them in ages so I don't know if I would still like them now.

I liked the first one a lot. Heck, I even liked the 2011 TV show.

Last edited:
Julie Benz as one of the angels, please. :hrt:

Don't cast teens/young adult in this movie. Let them be mid 20s+. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get JLaw in this.

I seriously doubt that they won't get women in their 20's and maybe even early 30's. Nobody wants to see teen Charlies Angels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"