Elizabeth Banks Stars in “The Magic School Bus“ | Universal Pictures

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Pennywise, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Pennywise Registered

2. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

First Power Rangers bombs, then Charlie’s Angels bombs and now The Magic School Bus? I don’t see her as Ms. Fizzle.

But hopefully third franchise is the charm for her.

Lencho01 likes this.
  3. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

This is me right now:

Lencho01 and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  4. DarkKnight88 Registered

I actually think this is the perfect franchise for her, the kids/family audience. Why not?

Drizzle likes this.
  5. LibidoLoca Politically Delicious

Get her far away from this.

6. Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

The Magic School Bus isn't some sacred cow, people. I think Banks could pull it off.

Sawyer, Erik20, Broseph44 and 2 others like this.
  7. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

While I don't mind the casting of Banks, as she'd basically be playing her Hunger Games character again (sorry, Lilly Tomlin, we love ya, but you were horribly miscast), I can't see them take a show that was basically meant to be a mostly edutainment cartoon and making it into a 90-120+ minute movie. Each episode is a different topic per story. It's not like Sesame Street or Carmen Sandiego where you can just take the characters and do a story on it's own without the education stuff. And even if you DID, what then? You'd basically have a lead who's a female Doc Brown crossed with a not-as-funny Pinkie Pie going on "wacky" misadventures with a class of students who are either annoying stereotypes or caricatures that get grating after a while (seriously, Carlos' last name might as well be Mencea). Does this sound like "multimillion dollar series of films" to you? A live-action show, FINE. But not a movie. HELL no.

8. Wheels Groovy

Banks was the only one who knew what franchise she was in with Power Rangers, so I'm not sure what the problem is there.

She also has the right energy for this. She's spunky.

9. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

I've already said, my problem isn't her. It's the source material. Ms. Frizzle is usually portrayed as NOTHING but pure whimsey, which is a problem for a movie. No matter how goofy your characters can be, they HAVE to express more than one emotion or it comes off as grating.

10. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Helena Bonham Carter would've made a better choice as Ms. Frizzle.

Pennywise likes this.
  11. Pennywise Registered

I was just thinking she would have have been a better choice as well earlier today.

12. Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

My choice would have been Kristen Wiig but I still think Banks will do fine based on her performance in the Hunger Games movies.

Pennywise likes this.
  13. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue, feelin’ good

Unlike her past bungles, Banks and her sensibilities are actually kind of a good fit for a property like this. I can see it.

As far as how the premise should go, it’s basically just Mary Poppins but in a school setting, with her as the teacher and the kids as students going on crazy adventures in a magic semi-sentient bus learning valuable lessons along the way. She shouldn’t even be the main character. Like Mary Poppins, she’s basically this mysterious force of nature that enters the main characters’ lives to help them out and exits the picture when her job is done. You can pretty much do anything with that.

If they approach it that way, then this could actually be something kind of special.

14. kvz5 HBIC

I think she’s perfect for it. :up:

15. Silvermoth Avenger

She’s fun. I hope she is as fun as Lily Tomlin

16. DarkKnight88 Registered

Lily Tomlin will have to cameo somewhere.

17. Gold Samurai Registered

They better have a Carlos in the movie.

Or Emma Thompson

18. #root Registered

Banks isn’t even directing this though, right? Cause that’s the area she needs to improve on, her acting is fine. She gets the blame for Charlie’s Angels but she wasn’t a part of the creative team for Power Rangers so that bombing definitely wasn’t her fault.

19. Wheels Groovy

She's the best thing in Power Rangers. Alpha 5 is pretty good too but the rest doesn't work for me much at all. The asethetic is complete trash and the choice to go so straight-forward sucked to me. I wanted something that looked bright and colorful with tongue in cheek humor where the Rangers are smart asses taking the piss out of the giant floating head and those doofy monsters they fight.

That's what I really want. Actual teenagers with attitude dealing with all the other characters being roughly their same dumb ass selves from the original series.

Maybe don't go as comedic as I want but just do the show, and make the movie self-aware, lampshade the hell out of it. Get one of the two Whedon disciples who are directing now. Honestly, the time travel reboot idea could be cool if the take involves lovingly ribbing the show.

#19 Wheels, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  20. DarkKnight88 Registered

When you produce your stuff, you get as many tries as you want. I actually do admire her for taking charge of her career, even if I disliked Charlie’s Angels immensely.

21. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I am fine with this. My only concern is the casting of the kids.

22. DarkKnight88 Registered

Yeah, that’s definitely key to this. They’ll need a Spielberg or Chris Columbus in terms of casting/directing kids.

23. Wheels Groovy

She did direct one hit and I don't think she's a problem as actress.

24. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Well they keep giving her shots, so hey. Unless she pulls a Weinstein or something I think she'll be fine. Like Brie Larson, just because a handful have a weird beef with her doesn't mean **** in the grand scheme of things.

#root and Wheels like this.
  25. Wheels Groovy

Okee Dokee then.