Ella Jay Basco is Cassandra Cain aka Batgirl / Black Bat / Orphan

Discussion in 'Birds of Prey' started by Abudefduf, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Abudefduf Registered

[​IMG]

Looks like we finally have our Cassandra Cain, and she's a baby? :hehe:

THORin likes this.
  2. Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

being a cass fan is true suffering :O

3. Astro13Zombie Registered

All the casting news for this movie so far has me like

[​IMG]

I’m really not sure what to think about any of it :funny:

Gamora2020 and DOBSON10 like this.
  4. Abudefduf Registered

5. Willi Berg On The Run

This casting reminds me of the way Patty Jenkins cast some of the Wonder Woman roles, in that it looks like the director has a lot of say and is given creative control to cast what they believe is good for the story, or their vision of the story. When Patty Jenkins cast Ann Wolfe as Artemis in WW, it's not in line with the vision of Artemis in the comics, but Patty had her own ideas and was given some freedom in that way.

This is a very young Cassandra Cain, which would have some impact in her role in the story, and what is at stake.

Who knows if Cassandra Cain is used in future movies, maybe she will be portrayed differently, depending on that director's vision and the story.

Blitzkrieg likes this.
  6. MbJ Registered

I literally do not get the problem people seem to have with the casting. We've known it was going to be a younger version of the character for quite a while.

ArmsHeldOut likes this.
  7. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

She's also grown a bit since those pics from her repertoire were first taken, as evidenced by the recent image above with Dante.

8. Abudefduf Registered

Yeah but where you also expecting her to look like a baby? Though as ArmsHeldOut already pointed out, she does look a bit older in that picture with her uncle.

9. terry78 Seein' it eye 2 eye

Well.....

10. Loki882 Registered

After Chloe Grace Moretz and Dafne Keen both played convincing badasses despite being around that same age, Ella being so young doesn't concern me that much.

frankgutz likes this.
  11. Boy Scout Registered

What else would she look like when she was described as being a child?

12. Abudefduf Registered

Not a baby. She's adorable. It will be hilarious to watch her kick Black Mask's ass... which is something that should totally happen, by the way.

Also this is probably going to sound kind of racist but I'm glad they went with a dark skinned Asian girl for the role. That's a very underrepresented category in Hollywood.

frankgutz likes this.
  13. Guts Smug

[​IMG]

14. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

It might be because of her chubby cheeks and rounder face in general that she looks a little younger than she actually is; but I imagine she's roughly the same age as Dafne Keen. In any case, Cassandra Cain was never much of a smiler to begin with (she rarely even speaks), so it's much more about nailing the right countenance I think. Also, the fact that Ella's the last person you'd ever suspect of being this badass warrior—on account of her being so adorable, as you put it—might be the whole beauty of it. Again, though, countenance and especially execution (on the director's part) will be key to making the whole thing work on-screen.

frankgutz and Abudefduf like this.
  15. Juan1193 Registered

I think she can pull Cass off! Im just excited that I'm going to get to see one of my favorite DC characters in live-action or any outside media in general! I think she's going to end up as Batgirl in a spin-off film with Oracle... Just saying ;)

frankgutz likes this.
  16. Kon Registered

I really like Cassandra, so I'm pretty interested to see her on Birds of Prey.

I hope that Cassandra is still an expert martial artist.

Honestly, I really doubt we will see Cassandra as Batgirl at some point (even on the current continuity of comics, she was never Batgirl).

Also, WB is still working in the Batfamily, that's why they don't include Barbara (as Batgirl or Oracle) in Birds of Prey. So, if they are including Cassandra in Birds of Prey, I don't think they plan relate Cassandra to the Batfamily.

17. Tg11 Registered

I wonder what she will look like in fan art?

18. Blitzkrieg Registered

19. Cain Gentlebane

The only reason I'm even looking forward to this. We finally get the best Batgirl and inspiration for my SHH handle on film. Hope they do Cass justice even though we'll also have to put up with the insufferable Harley Quinn.

20. Boom I got nothin'

I hope we get Black Bat eventually. Love the character.

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Hopefully she hangs around long enough so that we get to see her as an older Cain too.

frankgutz likes this.
  22. Willi Berg On The Run

23. Blitzkrieg Registered

Greenlite likes this.
  24. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

They really did not know who Cassandra Cain was outside of her name recognition....

25. godisawesome Registered

If I can be blunt, the way all the trailers and info on the story thus far have been portraying Cassandra Cain... I might not see it of they’re not hiding a lot of elements from the character that I love.

Of all the characters in the film, Cassandra Cain is easily my favorite, and generally the only one I’m serious invested in... but seemingly the only character who seems to lack any of the actual defining characteristics that make her special and unique.

If it does turn out this is just a name-only adaptation... I don’t think I’m interested enough in the rest of the characters to see it, and I would be kind of ticked if this became what people think Cassandra is.

hellblazer103 likes this.