Endgame: just a movie thread. *SPOILERS*

nypinta

Certified Delightful
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find a thread just for talking about the movie. Is there one and I missed it? Because I have thoughts. Good thoughts. Excited thoughts. Nitpicky thoughts. So and So got robbed thoughts.

Anyone else?

I did a search and couldn't find a thread just for talking about the movie. Is there one and I missed it? Because I have thoughts. Good thoughts. Excited thoughts. Nitpicky thoughts. So and So got robbed thoughts.

Anyone else?

I like this idea of a clearly spoilery thread where people can openly post spoilers without worrying about ruining it for people.

I think it's distinct from the 2 threads mentioned above

Endgame was a massive disappointment for me.

Long story short:
it's a messy time travel story with unclear rules and a bizarrely inconsistent tone. It spends far too much time on callbacks to previous films and doesn't really have that many great lines/moments of its own.

The battles aren't in the same league as Infinity War (or Civil War, Ragnarok, GotG 2, Winter Soldier etc):
Most of the film's actually very light on action. In acts 1 and 2, we get the original Thanos being curbstomped in a matter of seconds, a weird Cap vs Cap fight and that's it. The big final battle had some cool spectacle but it was too overcrowded and CGI heavy for my taste.

And then there's how individual characters get treated.
  • Thor was absolutely butchered by this film. His arc from Ragnarok/Infinity War goes out the window in favour of having him abandon what's left of his people to become an overweight, alcoholic slob who's the butt of half the film's jokes. And He's still somehow worthy but he absolutely shouldn't be. If they wanted to make him weaker and more vulnerable there were so many better ways they could've done that (make him lose hope and become unworthy, have him lose control of his lightning due to PTSD, have him lose Stormbreaker or an arm in the opening fight with Thanos etc)
  • The real Thanos is anti-climactically killed 20 minutes into the film, without even putting up a fight. The replacement Thanos from 2014 is a way more 2 dimensional villain who has no history with the heroes and suddenly decides he now wants to wipe out all life. He also doesn't even hit hard enough to make Captain Marvel flinch which seems a bit pathetic for the MCU's big bad.
  • Hulk doesn't get a single fight scene. He gets his moment undoing the snap but I would've loved to see an enraged Hulk give Thanos a serious challenge.
  • Spider-Man is still an in over his head rookie who has to be rescued by his Stark suit.
  • Iron Man had the best story arc but they could've made it way more interesting by forcing him to choose between his new family and undoing the snap
  • Cap got an okay but very predictable send off. His moment with Mjolnir was cool, although having him quit the Avengers by lying that he's just going to time travel to return the stones seems very out of character for him.
  • Captain Marvel bizarrely didn't get an invite for the time travel shenanigans but somehow knows to show up for the final battle.
  • Most other characters were handled okay and maybe got a cool moment but barely get any development.

And the film makes a real mess of MCU lore:

• The snap survivors are five years older than everyone that was brought back? The world itself is presumably still five years older and messed up by five years of disrepair?
  • The Ancient One was very clear that removing the Infinity Stones from her timeline would be catastrophic because they're fundamental to the universe. If so, why were there no consequences when Thanos destroyed all six?
  • If Mjolnir just helped Thor control and focus his lightning powers and was never his source of strength then how does Cap summon lightning when he wields it
  • We're told that MCU time travel creates alternate timelines. Thanks to the Avengers there's now an alternate timeline where Hydra think Cap's joined them and Loki's alive and has the space stone. There's also another alternate timeline where Thanos and his army went missing in 2014 and Peter Quill was KO'd by War Machine and left for dead before he found the power stone.
  • Cap visited both of the above alternate timelines and returned the soul stone to Red Skull, left the power stone for Ronan, put the Reality Stone back inside Jane Foster etc?
  • Cap somehow broke the rules of MCU time travel (see above) and went back to live a full life with Peggy in the main MCU timeline. Does this retcon previous films? Or did he live under the radar and Peggy's dementia/"Steve you're alive, it's been so long" scene in Winter Soldier was some kind of act?
  • Nerd Hulk decided not to resurrect Vision, Heimdall, Quicksilver etc for some reason?
  • Were all the people who died indirectly because of the snap (in plane crashes, on operating tables etc) brought back too or did they stay dead?
  • Why did Doctor Strange think there was no other way? Now we've seen the whole thing play out it just seems illogical. We never get an answer to why Strange doesn't just prevent Star Lord from screwing things up on Titan or use his portals to go tell Thor to go for the head.
  • Previous films repeatedly told us it takes immensely powerful beings to wield the Infinity Stones and even this film has Hulk and Thor argue over who'll take the risk and Hawkeye, Panther etc running round with the completed gauntlet presumably because they can't wield it. But suddenly Iron Man can snap away Thanos entire army and live long enough to say goodbye to Rhodey/Spidey/Pepper?

I wish I was one of the fans that loved Endgame but I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"