Episode 01/10 - "How Queer Everything is Today!"

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Dr., Dec 26, 2019.

1. Dr. From parts unknown

Scheduled airdate: January 19, 2020

I wonder if things are “queer” because the entire Multiverse has been re-written. :wow: :cwink:

(Edit) Synopsis from press release added:

AFTERMATH – While Gotham busies itself reacting to Batwoman’s (Ruby Rose) awkward encounter, Alice (Rachel Skarsten) celebrates her ultimate act of vengeance with Mouse (guest star Sam Littlefield). A devastated Mary (Nicole Kang) focuses on Jacob Kane’s (Dougray Scott) trial, while Sophie (Meagan Tandy) seeks advice about her love life from someone unexpected. As they tackle the newest threat to Gotham, Luke (Camrus Johnson) prioritizes protecting Batwoman’s secret, and Kate must decide what she is willing to do to honor Batwoman’s identity...and her own. Jeff Hunt directed the episode written by Caroline Dries.

#1 Dr., Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. Thome216 Registered

The title has me chuckling. In a good way.

3. WhoMani Registered

4. Dr. From parts unknown

As is usually the case, the episode titles derive from the Lewis Carroll stories:

How queer everything is today! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle! -- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland​

It’s been hinted that some/all of the individual shows could be changed, post-Crisis. Anyway… the above passage - coincidentally? - would kinda work as a description of a newly reconfigured Multiverse. :cwink:

5. Thome216 Registered

Real interested to see how it all turns out.

6. Thome216 Registered

I read it as a doube-entendre, as in the world is now somehow weird from Kate's POV, and of course with her being gay...

7. WhoMani Registered

I know but I still find it to be a stupid title.

8. Dr. From parts unknown

Since there’s not much else to talk about until the episode actually airs… ;nd

Both of Carroll’s Alice books are renowned for their surreal scenarios and dialogue. So observing that selected quotes appear “stupid” is rather obvious - and misses the point. Wonderland is a weird and nonsensical place. :cwink: Here are just three representative examples:

~
    Alice and the Red Queen are racing through the countryside. But Alice notes that no matter how fast they run, they remain in the same place.

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."
    "A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

~
    "Living backwards!" Alice repeated in great astonishment. "I never heard of such a thing!"
    "—but there's one great advantage in it, that one's memory works both ways."
    "I'm sure mine only works one way," Alice remarked. "I can't remember things before they happen."

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards," the Queen remarked.

~
    Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
    "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Indeed, Alice’s commentary is often the lone voice of reason. So her line about “how queer everything is” is quite apt and accurate - the opposite of nonsensical and “stupid.”

Movie and TV titles often come from a literary source. And unless you know what the source is, the title can sometimes be enigmatic. For instance, Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country is (arguably) odd and clumsy. But it derives from Hamlet. And if you know the allusion, it’s (arguably) less odd.

9. Thome216 Registered

Ah I didn't know you thought it was stupid. All there were were question signs...:yay:

10. Dr. From parts unknown

Episode promo:

11. NotNickFury Registered

There we go. I was wondering if one of these shows would have another version of an established character. Now we've got another Beth. up due to Crisis. Now we've got another Beth.

#11 NotNickFury, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  12. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Now we see the after effects of the Crisis in the form of another Beth, likely due to Kate’s desires as a Paragon. She’s also taking advantage of the unified world by being interviewed by Kara for Catco magazine

13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It was a decent episode but I felt like Kate/Batwoman was EXTRA awkward in this episode...like more than usual. It was like Ruby forgot how to act natural.

Loved seeing the lens in Batwomans mask...it made the overall Batwoman look, look very good and comicy.

Not sure how Kate doesn't have any memories of Prime Earth, while she should remember everything Pre-COIE she shouldn't be a complete stranger in this world.

With the surprise twist at the end that we have *SHOCK* 2 Beths! One that didnt get kidnapped! I pray that they turned Beth into two separate characters, making her into a twin so we get Beth/Alice.

Nice little shoutout to Catco/Kara interviewing Batwoman, the cover was better than most promotional shots we got lol.

14. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

I wouldn't be surprised if Beth turns out to be the one from Earth-99 and appeared through a wormhole.

15. Dr. From parts unknown

For the most part, I liked how they handled Kate’s ambivalence towards Batwoman’s closeted status. It was directly addressed without being too heavy-handed. And at the end of the day - though BW is now out - the secret identity is preserved. I also liked how dialogue reflected discussions we’ve had in this very forum. E.g., Luke mentions that assumptions about BW being straight help maintain the subterfuge. Or later, when Fairchild asks “Whatever happened to politics staying out of our superheroes?” :cwink:

On another note: the show continues to have problems with the staging of certain scenes. For instance, when Beth was holding Parker hostage, it seemed like fisticuffs or a Bat-gizmo could have easily subdued Beth. And a fix for this would have been relatively modest: if Beth and her circular saw were positioned behind and closer to Parker, it’d be obvious why BW had to keep her distance. :shrug:

Also: According to the promo (posted above) a vampire lady should have been in this episode. I guess that’s for later.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  16. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Compared to Supergirl, this episode didn't touch on the after effects of the Crisis until the end.

17. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Not entirely convinced this is Crisis related just yet, but we will see. I enjoyed the episode. I didn't really notice any difference in Ruby's acting, shrug.

18. Dr. From parts unknown

Photo credit: Newsweek
    [​IMG]

Nitpick: The image is too clean. I don’t think a secretive, masked vigilante would participate in a studio photo shoot. A candid cellphone pic would be more realistic. :o

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  19. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Post Crisis, and Ruby Rose is still as wooden as ever.

20. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Yep, I was thinking the same. Superman, Supergirl, Flash (heck, he has a whole museum)? Sure. But not one of the Bats.

Mysterious likes this.
  21. famicommander Registered

She'd do Kara a solid and give her a good shot to go with her cover story, c'mon

22. Sithborg The Pink Devil

I mean, it took a few years for Amell to get decent.

23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

This is what we call grading on a curve. :hehe:

She's somehow worse then Amell, which is astounding. But either way, she is just really bad now. She might be the worst lead I have seen on any Superhero show, and I watched Smallville.

Also what a show. A wanted criminal has tea at the grave site of the person she murdered just two episodes ago, and no one noticed all the equipment being moved or that you know... she is there. Also the mayor sounding like Trump talking about cyber. :lmao:

24. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

:funny:

25. Sithborg The Pink Devil

I mean, expecting a radical increase in acting ability within the season is kind of unreasonable.

DarthSkywalker likes this.