Episode 01/15 - "Off With Her Head"

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Dr., Feb 28, 2020.

1. Dr. From parts unknown

Scheduled airdate: March 15, 2020

Synopsis:

MOMMY DEAREST - More of Alice's (Rachel Skarsten) dark past is uncovered when Cartwright (guest star John Emmet Tracy) shares a twisted story with Kate (Ruby Rose) while Jacob (Dougray Scott) goes searching for his wayward daughter. Mary (Nicole Kang) and Luke (Camrus Johnson) follow a lead on Beth's killer. Holly Dale directed the episode written by Natalie Abrams.

The Queen turned crimson with fury, and, after glaring at her for a moment like a wild beast, began screaming “Off with her head! Off with—”
    “Nonsense!” said Alice, very loudly and decidedly, and the Queen was silent.

—Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland​

2. Dr. From parts unknown

Promo for episode 1X15 (not 5):

3. Thome216 Registered

That looks promising.

4. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Now we know what caused Alice to snap and that Kate has crossed the line thus questioning whether she can live up to Bruce Wayne's legacy.

5. Dr. From parts unknown

Yet another good episode. With the Alice backstory, I liked how they juxtaposed “characters”: sometimes it was young Beth/Alice; sometimes, current Alice; and sometimes, adult Beth (who, technically, never existed). Also, there was some nice - and thematically parallel - action between Kate and Cartwright.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  6. Sorath Registered

I feel really bad for Beth. In many ways I don't think she should be held accountable for actions. No one could go through all that and not just snap. This ep was so gut wrenching to watch.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  7. Thome216 Registered

A great example of a sympathetic villain.She was a victim from early on and in many ways still is.
    From her family giving up on her, for whatever reasons, to being made to work with human faces, captivity and physical torture, and now all the way up to seeing her mother's head in a fridge... There is no question as to why that girl broke.

This episode was great. My one complaint would be Batwoman once again turning her back on a bad guy. Everything else was good, esp with Kate telling August she was everything he stole from Beth - only for her to end up killing him! :wow: Talk about a twist!

Holy Slapper likes this.
  8. Holy Slapper Registered

Damn that was a good episode. They managed to make the villain sympathetic while also showing the heroine crossing the line. This was the moment you always wanted to see with Batman. The moment he crosses the line and what happens after HOLY **** I JUST REALIZED THE PARALLELS BETWEEN CRISIS BRUCE AND KATE!! Mind = blown.

9. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

It was an intense episode which provided a lot of back story for Alice. So does Captain Kane acknowledge that she is his daughter now and not just a psycho?

Their mother usually stars in Heartland played by actress Michelle Morgan.

Not surprised Kate killed August after hearing what he did. So he must've found her mother in the car and severed her head. Makes what happened to Bruce Wayne's parents seem tame by comparison.

10. Thome216 Registered

Didn't think of that at the time, but yeah, now she went over the line just like he did. Question is whether she can stop her downward slide.

Apparently, though I think he still knows she's more than a little psycho. As he said, he was trying to save what sanity she has left.

11. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

What if Crisis Bruce also found that August had his parents' heads in a fridge? That could've pushed him over the edge too.

Considering that Captain Kane was going to kill him as well, I don't think he'll mind too much about what Kate did. He probably would've done the same if he heard that from August.

12. Dr. From parts unknown

As the scene was structured, it seemed as though Cartwright’s death might have been inadvertent. Kate was justifiable enraged and definitely wanted to rough him up. But as it happened, Cartwright’s preexisting - and self-inflicted - neck wound was what did him in. Alternatively, if the cause of death was to be unambiguously Kate’s fault, they might have foregone the neck wound business altogether.

In any case, it appears that Kate “crossing a line” by taking a life will be a dramatic plot point going forward.

13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I read on one review article online that Cartwright's mother might still be alive and running around with Mrs Kane's face and might return as the season's big bad. Surely that can't be the case. Didn't Alice burn her to death? I can't see that happening. Plus it's not like the mother is the same shape as Mrs Kane, so wearing her face would not look the same on her head. And her body is a completely different shape too, so she wouldn't fool anyone.

14. Thome216 Registered

Grandma Cartwright walking around with their mother's face on would be freaking creepy. If she did survive, and I don't think anyone on these shows are dead until I see the body, then I could see her as some kind of human-like ghoul haunting the shadows. Especially being as disfigured as Alice was seeing her.
    And if she did survive, then the fact that Kate has killed her son, despite how much he was already orchestrating that same outcome, is far more than enough reason for a revenge arc.
    She'd have to have someone helping her though - which could be Mouse...
    All speculation though.

15. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

This is Michelle Morgan (Mrs Kane) being interviewed by an autistic kid (not sure if boy or girl, but probably boy). She's not being interviewed about Batwoman but about her career in general.

16. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

If Grandma Cartwright were still alive and wearing Mrs Kane's face, it would be too much of a stretch. She would have to get in shape, become slim, dye her hair, get off the oxygen tank, get fit enough to seem more spritely and younger, not have such a deep or old voice and change her entire personality. Only then could she hope to possibly fool people. That's way too much to change.

17. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Certainly had an unexpected ending.