Episode 01/16 - "Through the Looking-Glass

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Dr., Mar 7, 2020.

1. Dr. From parts unknown

Scheduled airdate: March 22, 2020

Synopsis:

FACING THE PAST - Kate (Ruby Rose) begins to question her instincts and Luke (Camrus Johnson) gets upsetting news. Alice (Rachel Skarsten) seeks her sister's help with a special task. Also starring Dougray Scott, Meagan Tandy and Nicole Kang. Sudz Sutherland directed the episode written by Nancy Kiu.

[​IMG]

2. Dr. From parts unknown

Promo:

3. NotNickFury Registered

Kate tricking and locking Alice in Arkham might be the first sensible decision she's ever made in regards to the Alice problem.

Or at least the best decision, even though it's entirely possible that she'll be out in no time. Wouldn't be Arkham if rogues didn't eventually escape.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  4. Dr. From parts unknown

Serviceable. And it - necessarily - covered several plot lines that the show had been building towards. Still, I found this episode less enjoyable/interesting than the last few.

Also: Alice has had this strange love/hate relationship with her sister. Thus, we can perhaps rationalize why Alice (and Mouse) have never exposed Kate’s secret identity. But now that Kate has terminated the trust, what’s to stop Alice from doing likewise? At the very least, the threat of this possible exposure should be addressed.

5. Thome216 Registered

"We do this my way."
    Alice's response had me laughing out loud! In a good way.

The last several episodes have been really good and, in my opinion, much better than the other shows. I certainly get more of an emotional impact from watching the drama/angst that the Kane Family is going through.

Loved the sister bonding moments. Those were definite highlights and Skarsten is a great actress.
    But as soon as Kate stayed out of the cell, I just know that this is going to come back to stab them in the back.
    And the front.
    And the side.
    Sure Alice is twisted and a murderer, but doing something that triples down on the abandonment that started it all was not a good idea. I get Kate's reasoning, but she should have found a way to get Alice in prison 'cleanly' rather then destroying any trust they may have had between them.

The side story with Lucas' father is good as well.

The only thing I still don't like is the theme song played on a cheap synthesizer... They need to get an actual orchestra for that. And give Kate a Batmobile. Maybe they could raid the Justice League set for Bruce's...

Holy Slapper likes this.
  6. Holy Slapper Registered

I can't help the feeling that this was a no-win situation. Now would it be smart/good of Kate to visit Alice regularly? Would it help or makes this worse? Another no-win situation?

Agree on hte quality of episodes. Post-Crisis, this has been the most interesting CW DC show by far, just ahead of Supergirl and The Flash. I don't even know what the hell Legends is about anymore.

Dark Raven likes this.
  7. Thome216 Registered

True, Kate being the good one, it is her self-imposed job to try and get Alice behind bars. And if it was anyone else, I would approve of the way she did it. But this was her sister, someone she knows has been put through absolute hell. To play up to her about trust and family, getting a promise from Alice not to kill, which she held to, and then to betray all that was as good as taking a hammer to a bag of already shattered glass.

Judging from her last scene, I think Alice has broken just that little bit more.